DVDVR Message Board

25 years of The Undertaker.

The Natural

The Undertaker celebrates 25 years with the WWF/E at this year's Survivor Series. I wanted to mark it as I’m a big fan of his, one of my five favourite wrestlers ever (the other four are Bret Hart, Kenta Kobashi, Daniel Bryan and Mick Foley) and seeing what posters here think of him.

When the Undertaker first started, in-ring highlights were few and far between, rather the highlights for me came from the gimmick itself. The highlights inside the ring started when ‘Taker feuded with Mankind in mid 1996 to the end of the year. The Undertaker's best match ever came against Shawn Michaels (I'd say the same for Michaels) in the first ever Hell in a Cell match at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. There’s ‘Taker going out for revenge for what Michaels has done to him, Michaels trying to survive, Shawn escaping the Cell to pay for it by getting thrown into, on and off it, THAT chair shot and the debut of Kane.

I wouldn't argue against anyone saying Biker ‘Taker excluding American Bad Ass was his best work though I prefer the Dead Man gimmick. The Undertaker’s 2002 is one of his best with his work on the mike (“say what if you like to sleep with your own sister” was the best reply to the what chants ever), against Ric Flair at WrestleMania X8, the Jeff Hardy RAW Ladder match, the Vengeance Triple Threat with The Rock and Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar at Unforgiven and the No Mercy Hell in a Cell match with Brock Lesnar. A brilliant match and one of the best HIAC’s ever. Undertaker bled everywhere.

There’s the Steak at WrestleMania particularly from 2007-2013 when ‘Taker had the best match on the show. The expectations going into Undertaker/Batista at WrestleMania 23 were low though I didn't feel the same way. I’ve always preferred that match to John Cena/Shawn Michaels the same night. Undertaker vs. Edge at WrestleMania XXIV was a great match and I liked how Edge had counters to Undertaker’s big moves. The Undertaker was reunited with rival in 1997, Shawn Michaels and they put on two classics at WrestleMania XXV and XXVI preferring the WrestleMania XXV match out of the two. I know Undertaker vs. Triple H with special guest referee, Shawn Michaels in Hell in a Cell at WrestleMania XXVIII is a divisive match but I’m a fan.

At WrestleMania XXX, Brock Lesnar broke Undertaker’s Streak. Nobody saw that coming. It’s the biggest holy shit moment I’ve ever seen in wrestling with the three count, the look of the fans open mouthed, the pause for the ring announcer to say the result, the 21-1 graphic, another pause before Lesnar’s music hits, Undertaker getting a standing ovation in ring and making his way up the aisle. On a first watch, the match wasn’t at the level of his WrestleMania matches from 2007-2013 and the three matches he had with Lesnar in the past. We learnt after Undertaker suffered a severe concussion early on so it’s remarkable he finished the match. I watched it again recently and its better on a second viewing plus knowing what 'Taker went through.

The Undertaker has shown he can still go this year having his busiest year wrestling since 2010 with a match against Bray Wyatt at WrestleMania XXXI and two great matches against Brock Lesnar in a normal match at SummerSlam and in the Hell in a Cell at the Hell in a Cell event. These two matches and the three before their WrestleMania XXX show that match was a blip. Physically Undertaker looks the best he’s looked since 2011.

If I had to do The Undertaker’s top ten matches, I’d have something like this:

1. vs. Shawn Michaels, In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997

2. vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXV

3. vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXVI

4. vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVIII

5. vs. Brock Lesnar, No Mercy 2002

6. vs. Edge, WrestleMania XXIV

7. vs. Batista, WrestleMania 23

8. vs. Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2013

9. vs. Mankind, King of the Ring 1998

10. vs. Batista, Backlash 2007

WrestleMania XXXII is coming up in Texas where Undertaker’s from. I’d like John Cena to be ‘Taker’s opponent as it’s a match I’ve wanted to see for years more so when the Streak was undefeated.

• Like 1

Would this be classed as the longest continual run in one major promotion?

The allure of Cena/Taker has lost its appeal for me since Brock killed the streak as it could've been marketed HUGE as the irresistable force meeting the immovable object (© Gorilla Monsoon) but now it would just simply be a match with no stakes

I love the goofy magic stuff, even though some fans piss and moan about it, but my favourite Taker run is definitely 2002-2004 as Biker Taker. He had a cool look, mixed up his offence, and had some great fueds. He wasn't very 'giving' during that phase and tended to just dominate constantly but meh

• Like 1

I know it's your top 10, but the Ground Zero match vs Shawn should be up there, in great Taker matches. 

Also, I really wish Taker never dropped his over-the-shoulder Tombstone. It looked way more vicious. Especially the one on Koko from SS'90.  It's a shame it was facing the wrong side of the ring.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, Giant Baba (26, October 1972-December 1998) and Atlantis (32+, June 1983 and still active). There's probably a couple other luchadors that qualify as well but my knowledge ain't that deep. 

EDIT: Also, Mitsuo Momota was in AJ from foundation in '72 to the NOAH Split (May 2000, which would be 27 years). Cagematch says Haruka Eigen started in 1966, but I can't quite hammer down his progression from promotion. I would assume they were there together through All Japan. My heart wants it to be true. Also, Masanobu Fuchi debuted in All Japan and is still active, so that's 43 years.

I can't think of a US wrestler who would have that kind of tenure anywhere, but that's more due to the boom and bust nature of US wrestling as well as the fluidity of the territory system. CMLL ran mostly unopposed, and native wrestlers didn't really start switching promotions in Japan until Riki Choshu. 

(this is my way of saying i have no opinion about the undertaker but i find that tenure question super, super fascinating, and would be willing to move it into the omnibus if people are put off)

no love for taker hhh wm17?

love that match. both guys realised they weren't near or in the main event and went at it for nigh on 20 minutes. 

Brilliant setup for the main event, it got the crowd hot after the battle royale shittiness.

Off the top of my head, Giant Baba (26, October 1972-December 1998) and Atlantis (32+, June 1983 and still active). There's probably a couple other luchadors that qualify as well but my knowledge ain't that deep. 

EDIT: Also, Mitsuo Momota was in AJ from foundation in '72 to the NOAH Split (May 2000, which would be 27 years). Cagematch says Haruka Eigen started in 1966, but I can't quite hammer down his progression from promotion. I would assume they were there together through All Japan. My heart wants it to be true. Also, Masanobu Fuchi debuted in All Japan and is still active, so that's 43 years.

Eigen's progression per Wrestling Data:

1967: Tokyo Pro

1967-1971: JWA

1972-1973: USA

1974-1984: NJPW

1985-2000: AJPW

2000-2006 (retirement): NOAH

I know it's your top 10, but the Ground Zero match vs Shawn should be up there, in great Taker matches. 

Also, I really wish Taker never dropped his over-the-shoulder Tombstone. It looked way more vicious. Especially the one on Koko from SS'90.  It's a shame it was facing the wrong side of the ring.

I loved the over-the-shoulder Tombstone - at least, once he figured out how to do it right, in the second half of 1991.  Watch the Every Tombstone Ever video - people ate SHIT on the early ones and it's amazing nobody got their neck broken. 

I remember Kane's Tombstone was really janky when he first started in the gimmick, but it's nothing compared to how dangerous Undertaker's was originally.

I believe he switched to the regular version when he came back in 1994 and used it from that point on - probably since he ended up working so many larger opponents and needed the extra control.

That being said, probably the best gimmick wrestler of all time, and certainly the one with the longest longevity, almost certainly due to how he would update the character every so often.  You can see the evolution of the Undertaker year by year, and it's fascinating to see.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but doesn't the Angle No Way Out 2006 match have to be in the discussion for Taker's best?

Angle/Taker matches were always great because Taker was the best at reigning in Angle's goofy bullshit style.

I just watched that "every tombstone ever" video and now MY knees hurt.

I still remember the first time I saw Taker as a kid and it was him trying to suffocate the Ultimate Warrior by locking him in an airtight casket. The officials beating on it with hammers trying to get it open while Monsoon yelled underlined everything as super serious -- this guy is trying to kill somebody else! After that I was a fan. An indestructible zombie with one of the most final finishers ever and Paul Bearer for a manager, what wasn't to love?

• Like 1

How did you not think of Jushin "Thunder" Lyger? He made his debut with New Japan in 1984, so he's currently at 31 years with no signs of retirement any time soon.

FUCK

HE IS LITERALLY MY FAVORITE WRESTLER

Ugh, I'm gonna be mad about that for at least a day.

Liger spent some time in England and Calgary as Flying Keichii Yamada before becoming Liger. Are you only counting his time in the gimmick?

I still remember the first time I saw Taker as a kid and it was him trying to suffocate the Ultimate Warrior by locking him in an airtight casket. The officials beating on it with hammers trying to get it open while Monsoon yelled underlined everything as super serious -- this guy is trying to kill somebody else! After that I was a fan. An indestructible zombie with one of the most final finishers ever and Paul Bearer for a manager, what wasn't to love?

Not to nitpick, but it was Vince, Piper, and Savage on commentary when Taker locked Warrior in the casket.

How did you not think of Jushin "Thunder" Lyger? He made his debut with New Japan in 1984, so he's currently at 31 years with no signs of retirement any time soon.

FUCK

Liger spent some time in England and Calgary as Flying Keichii Yamada before becoming Liger. Are you only counting his time in the gimmick?

I included his time pre-Liger gimmick. The Liger gimmick made it's debut in 1989.

As far as I can tell he was always under contract with New Japan since 1984, though. His time spent in England, Stampede or WCW were just considered excursions AFAIK.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, though.

Not to nitpick, but it was Vince, Piper, and Savage on commentary when Taker locked Warrior in the casket.

The best part is that it's just after WM7 - Savage is still being a bit of a heel on commentary, and is HAPPY that Warrior is being demolished by Undertaker, since Warrior ended his career.  But as it continues, even Savage becomes concerned.  A very understated bit from someone that, well, isn't.

• Like 3

I'd put 'Taker/Henry casket in my top ten 'Taker matches. I have a (maybe) irrational love for that thing and think it's the best casket match ever in the company. Yes, even better than HBK/'Taker at the Rumble '98 (which is actually my favorite of the HBK/'Taker matches by a slight amount over the Hell in a Cell).

'Taker/Flair is also pure fun. Actually, I prefer 'Taker/Flair and 'Taker/Henry to basically any of the other WM matches that he had after them. 

I'd put 'Taker/Henry casket in my top ten 'Taker matches. I have a (maybe) irrational love for that thing and think it's the best casket match ever in the company. Yes, even better than HBK/'Taker at the Rumble '98 (which is actually my favorite of the HBK/'Taker matches by a slight amount over the Hell in a Cell).

'Taker/Flair is also pure fun. Actually, I prefer 'Taker/Flair and 'Taker/Henry to basically any of the other WM matches that he had after them. 

Taker/Flair ignited one of my biggest pops ever watching a show live at home. When Anderson shows up and hits that Spinebuster, that was quite a moment. The crowd reaction for that was also a good indicator for what would happen with Rock/Hogan later that night. I also really liked Taker/Orton at Mania 21. I don't know if that's a top 10 Taker match, but it was one I really enjoyed. I prefer green Randy Orton over most anything Orton has done the last 7-8 years.

FUCK

His name in England was Fuji Yamada. And here he is:

• Like 1

Man, no love for the Taker/Angle No Mercy 2006 match?

Its amazing that its been 25 years and the guy is still with us, walking around, and putting on MOTYC. Sure, EVERYTHING isn't a home-run, but at his age, we shouldn't really expect it. WWE has managed to keep the gimmick fresh and the fans have never turned on Taker. For 25 years Taker NEVER received "Go Away Heat". Hogan had it. HHH had it. Tons of other Superstars through the years have had "Go Away Heat" and yet here we are. 25 years later and we are looking forward to Taker/Kane getting their revenge on The Wyatts. People want (ed) to see Sting/Taker. I've always been a Taker/Goldberg guy. Its a shame that match never happened in WWE during Golderg's run.

It's also great to know that Taker hasn't been involved in any real life scandals unlike Hogan, HHH, Austin, Flair, etc. He is one of the few 'legends' that doesn't put a bad taste in my mouth when I think of pro wrestling.

I was thinking US and non-owner in regard to Taker's longevity but was too lazy to type it out. Now here I am, typing it out. Such is my pennance.

I never saw the Warrior casket thing on TV but I saw the pictures in the WWF magazine and I was haunted by the thought of Warrior suffocating in there. I kind of lost any interest in that ol' Wrestlecrap website when they shit on the goofyness of Warrior enlisting Jake and going through those trials to conquer his fear of the Undertaker - maybe it's nostalgia on my part but it was perfect for the storyline and characters.

Along similar lines, I was haunted by Papa Shango's treatment of Warrior and Jobbers and Mean Gene too. Ultimate Warrior went through a hell of a lot when you think about it! Did Taker and Shango ever have a fued? I know they did when he was Kama but Shango and Taker seems like an obvious one for black magic versus beyond the grave shenanigans