DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

On 8/11/2016 at 11:34 AM, The Z said:

9aa866b1-9ad7-4151-9aac-d791e31c7a26.jpg

I envy everyone, who's going to be there. Maybe I should start playing the lottery right about now?

I'll definitely be at a ton of these shows as I live about 10 minutes from Orlando. Sucks they're running this at Parramore, but I guess it should be OK with the amount of people that will be around the area for WM weekend.

I'm thinking of going to EVOLVE 70 this Saturday mainly cause I want to see Matt Riddle, Zack Sabre Jr. and Chris Hero live. I hope Sabre has a merch table so I can grab one of those Suplex blue shirts he sells as they're sold out on the website and it's one of the few wrestling shirts that I'd wear as it doesn't have some ugly dudes mug on it.

Just got back from EVOLVE 70, man what a show.

I attended with my wife who's becoming a wrestling fan and has been to 2 NXT events with me (a house show and the TV tapings at UCF) and she told me she enjoyed this so much more than the previous 2 NXT events. I asked her which wrestler she liked the most and for some reason she said Fred Yehi... Go figure.

For those curious, the event pretty much sold out from what I could see as there was barely anywhere to sit. The bleachers were pretty crammed and all of the front row chairs were taken.

Darby Allin vs. Anthony Hicks

I missed the majority of it as I decided to steep out to grab some snacks. I did grasp the second half or so of it and it wasn't anything special.

Nathan Cruz vs. Jason Kincaid

This did nothing for me either. I wasn't overly impressed by either guys performance to be honest. The entire match just felt kind of flat.

Fred Yehi vs. DUSTIN

This was alright. Nothing really special honestly. First time seeing Yehi and I thought he was alright. I'm a fan of DUSTIN, but his performance was pretty underwhelming.

Gatekeepers Squash

These guys are huge. I was very impressed with them, but I'm curious to see how good they'd be in a match where they're not running through their opponents.

Timmy Thatcher vs. Ethan Page

I thought this was pretty fun live, but I can see why some people may not dig this on video. I thought both guys were pretty good, however Thatcher's headbutt's looked very weak. Ethan's a comedic heel from what I could grasp here similar to that of Chuck Taylor or DUSTIN, except I think DUSTIN is much better at that. The Gatekeepers were at ringside and interfered and there was 2 ref. bumps which I thought was a little odd. Stolkey Hathway running out to confront and make an offer to Thatcher was pretty fun too. Stolkey reminds me of Prince Nana.

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tracy Williams

The first half of this match was somewhat uninteresting and pointless, but the second half was something else. The submission exchanges in this were beautiful. Seeing Tracy roll with ZSJ, I could tell Tracy has trained BJJ before. Tracy looked on a heel hook on ZSJ that looked gross and he looked it on with excellent technique. ZSJ's escape from it was grand as he started slapping Tracy in the face and Tracy did his best Frank Shamrock Pancrase impersonation before they started kicked each other in the face and chest while twisting each others ankles. Tracy's escape from a ZSJ triangle choke wasn't exactly Rampage vs. Arona level brutal, but it looked pretty unsafe and I'd be surprised if ZSJ wasn't concussed from it. Tracy hit a nasty Piledriver after it to boot. The strike exchanges between these 2 were brutal too. From what I've read online, the crowd reaction didn't come out on video, but the crowd was hot for the second half of the match.

Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak

Holy heck was this a manly match. My pick for MOTN. This alone made the show well worth the money. These guys stiffed the heck out of each other. They held nothing back and just beat the heck out of each other for over 20 minutes. This felt a lot more like a fight than anything else. Hero's strikes are brutal. He just beat the snot out of Gulak with elbows and big boots. Hero just telling Gulak he's a piece of crap while kicking him was great. Gulak's deadlift backdrop is a thing of beauty. The build up to the backdrop was awesome as Hero continuously taunted Gulak telling him he wasn't going to let him drop him on his head, but he got a huge pop for when he was finally able to deliver it. Insanity all around. Highly recommended.

Matt Riddle vs. AR Fox

This was a bit short, but very fun too. Riddle is coming along nicely despite still being a rookie in pro-wrestling. His strikes seemed a little weak, but I guess he's still holding back a bit and is still a little timid. His twister submission was an awesome choice for a finisher with his MMA background as it's one of the best and hardest submissions to pull off and looks great when it's actually done. As for AR Fox, he got all of his spots in which are rather amusing.

Evolve was a fun show thanks to the last three matches. Especially hero vs gulak which was just a crazy war. The title match was really bad and I like Thatcher. He needs to drop the strap and soon. Best moment of the night was Darby's aerostar dive. The most nutty thing I've ever seen live. That guy is gonna be a cult hero and soon if he gets more exposure. 

By the way Edwin, I think I was sitting by you at the show. Glad you enjoyed it.

Everytime I read the name of Zack Sabre Jnr's finish I hate the world a little bit more. I pity the commentator who is made to call that.

Though listening to youthmovies (the band whose EP he took the name from) post-rock stylings, I think I'm beginning to understand his wrestling style a bit more. I didn't say appreciate though.

18 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Evolve was a fun show thanks to the last three matches. Especially hero vs gulak which was just a crazy war. The title match was really bad and I like Thatcher. He needs to drop the strap and soon. Best moment of the night was Darby's aerostar dive. The most nutty thing I've ever seen live. That guy is gonna be a cult hero and soon if he gets more exposure. 

By the way Edwin, I think I was sitting by you at the show. Glad you enjoyed it.

You didn't like the title match? I thought it was alright.

Darby did the Trust Dive against DUSTIN a couple of minutes ago from very high off a post.

Really? You should've said hi at least dude.

Watched EVOLVE 71, I didn't feel it was as good as last nights show.

Gulak vs. Thatcher was pretty wild and Hero vs. Riddle was pretty good.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to ZSJ vs. Yehi, I didn't like the glimpse I caught of it.

Hero vs. Gulak is still my favorite match of the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

If there was any question about the WWE/EVOLVE relationship, EVOLVE just announced that Tommy End would replace Drew Galloway on next week's shows.

Sadly the matches will only be dark matches for the live audience and not be taped.

Has Jason Kincaid worked on EVOLVE before?  If he is more of a regular does that mean that he is finished in Ring of Honor.  If that is the case then it is another great talent that ROH doesn't have a fucking clue what to do with

Joey Styles really really likes to hear himself talk.   I mean he can't let anything go without constantly talking

http://www.f4wonline.com/news/evolve-wrestling-fires-joey-styles-air-remark-224541

Joey Styles will forever be known as the voice of Extreme Championship Wrestling, but what he said on air Saturday during EVOLVE 72 was just too extreme for them.

Before the night's main event featuring Timothy Thatcher and Drew Gulak, Styles said on air toward ring announcer Joanna Rose, “Joanna, you look great tonight. And if our next President were here tonight, he’d want to grab you by the..."

The reference is, of course, related to President-elect Donald Trump's infamous comment made on a tour bus in 2005 that was picked up by a hot microphone he was unaware was on.

Styles had said on-air that he was told to not get too political on air, essentially setting up the comment.

EVOLVE head Gabe Sapolsky was not thrilled with Styles' choice of words.

I deeply apologize for Joey Styles' comments and am furious

— Gabe Sapolsky (@BookItGabe) November 13, 2016

And then 30 minutes later, Sapolsky delivered some news shortly after the show had wrapped up:

We've parted ways with Joey Styles and that's my final comment on this. Thank you for your support.

— Gabe Sapolsky (@BookItGabe) November 13, 2016

Streaming partner FloSlam tweeted that they support EVOLVE's decision, and that the replay will be delayed due to editing.

Styles is a longtime conservative voice who has gone after President Barack Obama on Twitter frequently through the years. As of this writing, he has yet to comment on the firing.

After being released by WWE in August, Styles had become a voice for several indie groups including EVOLVE, Beyond Wrestling, and CHIKARA.  

It is just really awful timing and given his conservative leanings, I am sure he was dying to use that line some how.  If he was a heel announcer maybe.  If he was doing that line to a heel character maybe.  Maybe if he done it a month from now when the election nervousness was cooled a touch maybe.  But to do it to the ring announcer  for no real reason but to get a cheap pop was just terrible and stupid.  Also doesn't help his cause that he was terrible on commentary offering just nothing except bad jokes and Matt Striker like insights

I guess we could be lucky he didn't do on a Chikara show

The impression I got was that Styles was horrific on commentary during the show anyone

Like I saw more than one person saying that Styles was ruining the show and they wish that FloSlam would have had a no commentary option

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The impression I got was that Styles was horrific on commentary during the show anyone

Like I saw more than one person saying that Styles was ruining the show and they wish that FloSlam would have had a no commentary option

That was a tweet that I sent that FloSlam basically saying that if you are planning on using Styles for all of your wrestling shows then I will just cancel. I know he worked for Beyond already but the idea of him fucking him up shows like PWX in North Carolina that has good announcers already was really worrisome.  Luckily his big mouth took care of that

I am assuming that the main reason Jaka and Chris Dickinson was on the show to sort of cross promote the other FloSlam wrestling companies.  I have no problem with that if it means guys like John Syklar, or Anthony Henry or Chip Day are going to start showing up

I patted Joey on the shoulder after the show and said something to the effect of "thanks, Joey, we almost got through a whole wrestling show without someone objectifying a woman." I guess I don't have nearly enough faith in wrestling cuz it didn't even occur to me that there might be repercussions.

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is just really awful timing and given his conservative leanings, I am sure he was dying to use that line some how.

Honestly, I kinda took it as Joey deciding he wanted to be fired, for some reason.  He was apparently warned beforehand not to inject political commentary, something he brought up on-air for... no real reason.  I thought he sounded kinda touchy when he brought that up.  I assumed he knew exactly what he was saying and how it would go over, and had decided for whatever reason to do something controversial that would get him out of whatever commitment he made.

His commentary didn't ruin the show for me - I've watched plenty of Cole and Lawler on WWE telecasts, after all - but he really wasn't very good.  Given that Joey is a conservative, I don't even know what riffing on Trump's misogyny was supposed to accomplish.  Is he one of those conservatives that didn't support Trump?