DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

1 minute ago, The Z said:

You gotta give him credit for that. He has to be some kind of genius. He just made a list and everyone went along with it for some reason.

I hate to be a spoiler here or anything, but he probably made the list based on initial booking conversations he had with promotions.

Am I the only one not too excited about seeing Cody Rhodes in Evolve?  Or any indy, really.  I liked Cody in the WWE well enough, but thought he was kinda average in the ring.  To me,. his strengths are character-related and his best runs were when he went a little over the top with his character.  I don't feel like he brings a whole lot to the indy scene where character and promo work are often minimal and guys get over either putting on "5 snowflake matches" or doing a lot of impressive spots.  I don't feel like there's anyone I'd want to see him wrestler in a one-off in, say, BOLA.

I hope he does well.  I liked his runs as Dashing Cody Rhodes and Stardust and he comes off as a likeable guy on social media, but I wonder how well his skill set is going to translate to PWG or Beyond.  He doesn't seem inclined to go Dustin's route and do a knockoff of his WWE character to get bookings.

Has Cody ever wrestled outside of the WWE system? Nothing I've seen makes me want to check him out in EVOLVE or BOLA, but the idea that may I haven't seen all he has to offer does. If he can't perform there then yeah, maybe we can write him off. 

I'm a fan of EVOLVE and PWG but I don't really think the style is that difficult to pick up as long as you know what you're getting into. Cody's athletic enough and seems smart enough that he'll go in there and play to those fans. He won't go in there and try to impose his beliefs about what good work is onto that crowd. He'll give them what they want.

6 hours ago, Omega said:

Is this just an empty gesture or is there anything behind this?

As far as I understood it he offered him a contract that would still allow him to fulfill his New Japan contract, but would have him work for EVOLVE on dates, when there aren't any NJPW shows. Would NJPW be ok with such an arrangement? I doubt there are any precedents for something like this.

The bigger issue is New Japan having a working relationship with ROH

So letting Ospreay do EVOLVE - in theory - wouldn't look great politically. Like NJ lets Elgin still work ROH but EVOVLE could be considered a direct competitor.

Liger can do whatever the fuck he wants because it is in his contract and even still he generally clears all his bookings with the NJ office.

Honestly - I take this more as grandstanding than anything but in this day and age, stranger things have happened.

Evolve 64 was a very good show. Riddle/Strong and Cedric/Gargano were easy MOTN's. Riddle vs Strong had more substance for sure and Cedric/Gargano was a great cruiserweight style opener. Darby Allin continued to make a name for himself. Some people can call him stupid for his bumps but he's nobody knew his name a few shows ago and now he'll get work all over the country. He's not just a bump guy either. He's got all the fundamentals down and he sells everything. I thought Chuck Taylor should have explained himself further in his promo. Also, stop walking around so much while you're talking! Besides that I'm happy to see him back.

Evolve 65 was a nothing show to me. Galloway vs Gargano was a good NXT TV match. That's about it.

On 13.7.2016 at 2:13 PM, RIPPA said:

The bigger issue is New Japan having a working relationship with ROH

So letting Ospreay do EVOLVE - in theory - wouldn't look great politically. Like NJ lets Elgin still work ROH but EVOVLE could be considered a direct competitor.

Liger can do whatever the fuck he wants because it is in his contract and even still he generally clears all his bookings with the NJ office.

Honestly - I take this more as grandstanding than anything but in this day and age, stranger things have happened.

So according to the PWTorch Ospreay did indeed sign that WWNLive contract. Very weird.

I assume he will sign with WWE right away as soon as his NJPW contract comes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Evolve talked about a possible Slater run if not for Smackdown, I can't help but wonder who he'd go against.  The thought of him and Galloway reuniting would have been so, so awesome.  I'm hoping he loses so he ends up doing this anyway.

I swear I didn't see that post, I wasn't near it at all when I posted.  So imagine my dismay when I do go to the general thread.

So due to that might as well edit that so I can bring up something else.

I'd absolutely love to go to that if I can.  Hoping this lotto ticket I got can help me out with that.

And it really bums me out that I can't go to the Joppa show as something came up.  Was really hoping to see them again live.  Hoping they come back around after this show, but I'll at least get the IPPV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

September 30th: We are very excited to announce that the legendary Dick Togo is coming to EVOLVE! The former ECW, WWE, Michinoku Pro competitor spent several years retired. He's back and he's coming to wrestle in EVOLVE. Togo is set for EVOLVE 75 on December 11th in Melrose, MA. We'll have much more on this in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...