DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

Yeah at least the WWN Supershow got put up late last evening.  I guess they had problems with 59 and it should be up today. 

Would definitely recommend the Supershow to anybody.  Haven't even finished the show but the opening three match run will be real tough to top this year.  Chris Hero is on another level right now.

If you had to name an MVP of this entire weekend, it is really hard to decide between Sami Zayn and Will Osprey.   Osprey vs Sabre Jr is definitely a top 3 match of the entire weekend.  In terms of flippy shit the match with Ricochet was jaw dropping at times.  Hell he even had a great match against Marty Scurli at the WrestleCon supershow.

I don't see how Matt Riddle isn't working in NXT or the main roster by this time next year.  Not only is he great in the ring but he is so charismatic in a subtle way.  His match with Thatcher was great except for the questionable finish and Sabre Jr on Saturday afternoon is a possible top 5 match of the weekend.

Underrated star of the EVOLVE weekend was TJ Perkins.  The guy is just on fire in this company.   

Love that Hero's ring gear is now a tribute to old school NBA jerseys.  He has one with the Sonics, the Clippers, and rocking an old school 80's Mavericks jersey this weekend.   

Kind of worried about the Baltimore show.  First of all I believe it is on Friday which if you ever been in DC/Baltimore area getting to a Friday night 7 or 8 PM event is a serious pain to get to.  Second of all I am not sure if there style is going to work in an area where the biggest thing about the Maryland indy shows is whether a TNA star is wrestling or a WWE legend is doing an autograph signing before hand.   I am imagining people looking at Thatcher in the ring likes dogs looking at their master coming out of the shower

Well it's being reported (I'm on my phone so I can't grab the links) but basically EVOLVE is changing their booking and for the most part will be focusing on guys with the potential to move up the ranks in the WWE

Guys will still be brought in for one shot deals, etc but basically you will be able to tell who the WWE is high on now 

So that definitely means that Sami and Galloway are finished since they have contracts at other places.   I would think Hero is finished (except for the random one shot deal) as well.  Does make you wonder who else is going to get chopped out because they don't fit Triple H desire for indy talent.  

It is going to be fascinating to see what happens with Hero

If the WWE was smart - they would work out a deal with him where he almost becomes a trainer/coach in EVOLVE

He left on good terms, he was let go before their change in attitude in regards to NXT (ie: Rhyno, Joe, Storm, etc...), clearly has advocates in the system (namely Regal), knows the style they are looking for in NXT, etc...

It would almost be hiring a college coach who runs a pro-style offense. It would give them the most "pro" ready wrestlers.

April 8th: We are very excited to announce Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. as the main event for EVOLVE 60 on May 6th in the Baltimore area. This is a red hot issue after the happenings of Dallas!

April 8th: Drew Galloway vs. Ethan Page is set for EVOLVE 60!

April 8th: Drew Galloway vs. Johnny Gargano will be the main event of EVOLVE 61 in Queens on May 7th!

April 8th: We are very excited to announce that Marty Scurll will make his Northeast debut at EVOLVE 60 and EVOLVE 61.

April 8th: Harlem and Lancelot Bravado will make their returns in May following an impressive showing in the EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament last January.

April 8th: Also signed for both EVOLVE 60 and EVOLVE 61 are Drew Gulak, Tracy Williams, Matt Riddle, TJP with Stokely Hathaway, Fred Yehi and Lio Rush. More names will be added!

April 8th: Matt Riddle was informed that WWE will not sign him to a contract at the present time. Riddle finds himself in the middle of controversy after his EVOLVE Title Match against Timothy Thatcher at EVOLVE 58. WWN has opted to sign Riddle to a contract. We officially welcome Matt Riddle to the WWN Family!

April 8th: The WWE Global Cruiserweight Series qualifying matches in EVOLVE will be determined imminently. We'll have breaking news at that time.

April 8th: Unfortunately, not everything was positive last weekend. EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher had a rough weekend, which ended in a completely bizarre way. We'll have more on this in the future. We do want to make it clear now that Thatcher is still the EVOLVE Champion. However, we feel it will be best for Thatcher's mental and physical state to take a leave of absence. Thatcher is off all upcoming events indefinitely.

Crap - I am gonna have to go to Baltimore now aren't I?

Wait, Marty Scurll is coming to Baltimore?  Holy fuck!  I was excited for this show to begin with, but this pretty much sealed it for me.

And considering it's in Joppa it's not a bad drive to get to (I think it's in Joppa, need to check)  But it's going to be interesting to see how the crowd takes to it.  I can say for sure that it's a lot of families that go and they really wouldn't care as much about super indy guys.  But fuck it, I'll go, should be fun.  If I see anybody from here that'd be pretty cool.

Yes - the show is in Joppa. It is 90 minutes for me if I leave straight from work.

It's the over 2 hours to get back home part that I am balking at - especially since EVOLVE runs 9 hour shows.

Yes - Lio Rush signed with ROH. I have a feeling this is him finishing the bookings he already agreed to

Last time I went I saw Lio's match and spoke with him for a half minute, seemed like a good guy.  Then I find out the next week about him in the tournament and wished I knew that before going to the show.  So happy for him, and I hope to speak with him again at the show.

Rippa, I can definitely understand the gripe about the two hour drive home.  But hey, if the show's going to be amazing then it could be worthwhile.

I bought the live viewing and VOD of EVOLVE 59 and, due to the stream issues, they're now offering anyone who did so two free VODs. I'll get EVOLVE 58, but I'm looking for suggestions on the second. Only recently getting back into EVOLVE, loving the technical stuff from Thatcher, Sabre, et al.

I did the same. How do we go about getting those two free VODs? 58 is the easy choice. I'll probably go with 56 for the first Riddle/Thatcher match.

Edit: nevermind...

April 8th: We were also frustrated with iPPV issues during EVOLVE 58 and EVOLVE 59. We apologize for these issues. We are offering the following "make goods" if you purchased through WWNLive.com:

-If you bought the Live Viewing Only options for either EVOLVE 58 or EVOLVE 59 you'll get the VOD activated plus 1 additional VOD of your choice. If you bought both, you will get the VODs activated plus 3 additional VODs of your choice. The VODs can be any past EVOLVE, DGUSA, WWN or FIP iPPV.

- If you bought the Live Viewing and VOD options for either EVOLVE 58 or EVOLVE 59 you'll get 2 additional VODs of your choice. If you bought both, you will 5 additional VODs of your choice. The VODs can be any past EVOLVE, DGUSA, WWN or FIP iPPVs.

To redeem, email your Paypal receipts showing you bought EVOLVE 58 and/or EVOLVE 59 with your free selections to [email protected]. You should already be activated to VOD access of EVOLVE 58 and EVOLVE 59. We are currently processing the free VODs and it might take a few days. Thank you for your support and patience. Our goal is to give you the best iPPV experience possible. We apologize again for the issues last week and are working to fix them.

From a recent update:

To redeem, email your Paypal receipts showing you bought EVOLVE 58 and/or EVOLVE 59 with your free selections to [email protected]. You should already be activated to VOD access of EVOLVE 58 and EVOLVE 59. We are currently processing the free VODs and it might take a few days. Thank you for your support and patience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 6:36 PM, Oyaji said:

I wonder what the above means for the grappling types. I hope this doesn't mean less Thatcher and Gulak.

Gabe may have addressed this, in a Sports Illustrated interview, of all things.

We have made a shift in our style of wrestling to a more mat-based, grappling, catch style of wrestling, and people at WWE really enjoyed it. That’s the style they’re looking to feature, so it helped that we have tight shows.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/04/07/evolve-wwe-gabe-sapolsky-paul-heyman-daniel-bryan-triple-h

• Like 1

The cards for the May shows look really strong, and I have yet to order and watch an event. There's a small chance I go out of town that weekend to see the Avett Brothers, so I'm thinking of ordering both shows with VOD and just watching them that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished 58 and 59.

Top matches would probably be Ospreay/ZSJ, TJP/Ricochet and Hero/Yehi in that order. Hero/Yehi could have been #1 but Hero loses me at times going overboard with the stiff strikes. Still it was excellent. TJP/Ricochet had probably the best selling I've ever seen from Ricochet. Ospreay/ZSJ was breathtaking to watch.

Ospreay/Ricochet wasn't a classic match but it was the match I wanted them to have if that makes sense.

Other things I enjoyed a lot were the test of strength spot in Riddle/ZSJ, Drew Galloway's promo (what I could understand of it) and Thatcher working to protect his injured arm against Scurll.

• Like 1

I'll be there.  An old friend of mine works there (that Trevin Adams guy who does whatever for WWNLive) so I'm hoping to meet up with him.  Looking forward to the show.

Hey, Rippa, feel like stopping by?  I know you were thinking about it earlier, should be worth the drive.