DVDVR Message Board

Players on your favorite team you kind of can't stand

Technico Support

I saw a Deadspin post about Steve Smith and the ball got rolling.  You might be faithful to your team but, like your family, that doesn't mean you need to like them all.  So who plays for your team, past or present, that you hate or at least dislike a good deal?

For me, as a Ravens fan (yeah yeah I know), it's Ray Lewis and, to a lesser extent, Steve Smith Sr.

Lewis because he's a sanctimonious ass who likely killed a dude, celebrated constantly as a player even when making routine plays when the team was down on the scoreboard, and generally made everything about him.  Fuck that guy.

Smith because he's constantly talking shit and seems angry at everyone, while making some outstanding catches and, at the same time, dropping balls he should be catching easily.  If you're talking shit that much, you better be consistently amazing.

BONUS ROUND: Speaking of being inconsistant, I really dislike Joe Flacco.  Here's a guy who, if not for a streak of brilliance in a contract year that ended with a Super Bowl win, wouldn't even be on the team right now.  One fewer crazy pass against Denver and he'd be playing for Jacksonville today.  He is maddeningly inconsistent.  One play he'll make an amazing deep pass and the next he'll float a duck right to an opposing safety.  I saw him described once as "one of those superheroes who can't control his powers."  That sounds about right.  Also, he always has this hangdog, sadface that makes him look like he has zero fire at all.  Fuck, dude, get up for the fucking game and look like you want it.

Anyway, what you got?

BONUS ROUND: Speaking of being inconsistant, I really dislike Joe Flacco.  Here's a guy who, if not for a streak of brilliance in a contract year that ended with a Super Bowl win, wouldn't even be on the team right now.  One fewer crazy pass against Denver and he'd be playing for Jacksonville today.  He is maddeningly inconsistent.  One play he'll make an amazing deep pass and the next he'll float a duck right to an opposing safety.  I saw him described once as "one of those superheroes who can't control his powers."  That sounds about right.  Also, he always has this hangdog, sadface that makes him look like he has zero fire at all.  Fuck, dude, get up for the fucking game and look like you want it.

Anyway, what you got?

This is the thing people do not understand about quarterbacking.  There are only about 10-15 professional quarterbacks who are consistently good on the planet, and then there are about 5-10 guys who are too good to replace.  Flacco, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, and Matthew Stafford are just good enough to keep their jobs, because there is no one available who is better.  If you have one of those guys you will bitch and complain about them, but as soon as they get hurt you realize that you have been blessed by the football gods to have someone that competant.  If by chance one of them slips up and wins a Super Bowl, you will never be able to get rid of them.  They are yours for life, because Super Bowl champions are not growing on trees. 

With all that said, I'm a Browns fan...every quarterback we've had since Bernie Kosar is the answer to your question.

• Like 1

I saw a Deadspin post about Steve Smith and the ball got rolling. You might be faithful to your team but, like your family, that doesn't mean you need to like them all. So who plays for your team, past or present, that you hate or at least dislike a good deal?

For me, as a Ravens fan (yeah yeah I know), it's Ray Lewis and, to a lesser extent, Steve Smith Sr.

Lewis because he's a sanctimonious ass who likely killed a dude, celebrated constantly as a player even when making routine plays when the team was down on the scoreboard, and generally made everything about him. Fuck that guy.

Smith because he's constantly talking shit and seems angry at everyone, while making some outstanding catches and, at the same time, dropping balls he should be catching easily. If you're talking shit that much, you better be consistently amazing.

Anyway, what you got?

Steve Smith is everything good about football and also 104 years old in football years. Cut him some slack.

I don't presently hate any Panthers. I'm not crazy about Roman Harper. I was really not OK with Kerry Collins back in the day though. Or Jimmy Clausen. Or Chris Weinke. Or late era Jake Delhomme.

I saw a Deadspin post about Steve Smith and the ball got rolling. You might be faithful to your team but, like your family, that doesn't mean you need to like them all. So who plays for your team, past or present, that you hate or at least dislike a good deal?

Lewis because he's a sanctimonious ass who likely killed a dude, celebrated constantly as a player even when making routine plays when the team was down on the scoreboard, and generally made everything about him. Fuck that guy.

Smith because he's constantly talking shit and seems angry at everyone, while making some outstanding catches and, at the same time, dropping balls he should be catching easily. If you're talking shit that much, you better be consistently amazing.

Anyway, what you got?

Steve Smith is everything good about football and also 104 years old in football years. Cut him some slack.

I don't presently hate any Panthers. I'm not crazy about Roman Harper. I was really not OK with Kerry Collins back in the day though. Or Jimmy Clausen. Or Chris Weinke. Or late era Jake Delhomme.

I could never think badly of Jake, even at the end.

Smitty was/is an angry dude, but I'd take him back in a second.

Clausen fits the bill, though.

A guy that is, thankfully, now gone:

Lions - Ndamacantspellit Suh - didn't hate the guy, think he was often trashed for stuff not his fault (like the stomp that was retaliation for the GB player twisting Suh's ankle but everybody ignored that part) but he did plenty of stuff that he legit got blamed for. I am very, very thankful he didn't sign that fat contract with Detroit.

Other than that, I'm good. Don't have anybody on the Lions roster that I don't like.

Let's see, Philly players I have disliked in the past:

Donovan McNabb - A warrior on the field. Off the field, a petulant, thin-skinned passive-aggressive baby. Loved to play the martyr to the press in Philly, then he left and thankfully others got to see that it wasn't just us mean, nasty Philly fans picking on poor Donovan.

Charles Barkley - He's rehabbed himself since but man did I fucking hate the Barkley of his last season who emasculated Armon Gilliam and whined his way into forcing the Sixers to trade him for a bunch of nothing. I'm still glad he never won a title.

Scott Rolen - This guy was just a miserable, aloof prick who forced his way off the Phils right before they got good. Yeah he still ended up getting a ring or two in St. Louis but he coulda been part of the World Fuckin' Champs in '08.

Eagles 2011 "Dream Team" Acquisitions - Man fuck those guys. Nnamdi Asomugha didn't even show up once he got his money. Jason Babin might be the most hated-by-his-own-fanbase player ever to have an 18-sack season. A year later they were showing him and his mentor/fellow jockass douchenozzle Jim Washburn the door. Those two weren't locker room cancers, they were locker room ALS or something...

I can openly admit if Golden Tate wasn't a Lion, I'd still hate his fucking guts.

But the worst ever for me in this wasn't NFL but NBA. Christian Fucking Laettner was a Piston. Fuck that shit.

• Like 1

Brett Favre for many documented reasons, Reggie White for the above and his racist stereotyping babbling nonsense while he was still playing when he went in front of the WI state legislature. Sure, he died young and some churches burned down, that all sucks for everyone, but he was still an asshole. I don't pay close enough attention to personal lives of players to really care and on-field stuff doesn't bother me, I'm not paying them, so if they fuck up, it's not on me.

Do you Philly guys blame McNabb for the Super Bowl loss?

Him and Reid's standard issue clock management, yup. Unless I'm totally misremembering the game, McNabb up and folded on the most important drive of his career.

Do you Philly guys blame McNabb for the Super Bowl loss?

Him and Reid's standard issue clock management, yup. Unless I'm totally misremembering the game, McNabb up and folded on the most important drive of his career.

Faster than superman on laundry day, as I recall. . . .

I forgot about Ray Rice!  Damn. 

Also Brian Billick.  He coached the Ravens for 9 seasons.  It's hard to complain because we got a Super Bowl out of it but oh man was his shit boring.  One Super Bowl vs 9 seasons of dull-ass game management football.  "Oh shit we're inside the 30, better calm down and play it safe, don't want to risk losing that field goal by going for a TD."