DVDVR Message Board

With the Battlefront Beta going live today, I thought now would be a good time to start a thread, and why not allow people to talk other Star Wars games as well for those maybe revisiting something.

I plan on at least downloading the Beta tonight. For the most part, I avoid betas just because I already don't like how disorienting the PS4 Library function is.

I'll be getting the beta too, but I'm trying to get through Dying Light so I probably won't play it too much.

They're also bringing out remastered/tweaked versions of some of the older games, including Super Star Wars, which I really liked besides the horrible sandcrawler level.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a663963/classic-star-wars-games-to-be-sold-separately-on-ps4.html#~pqs9WjrQENVI3s

• Like 1

Found a way to download it now on X-Box One.

1. Click this link from your PC: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Star-Wars-Battlefront-Beta/84dbe98e-302e-4597-9ea7-0082afb8cf68

2. You'll get an error message, but the bottom option there is "Check and see you're accessing the website from the right country", click it.

3. Change that to Australia.

4. Click on the original link again.

5. Download!

I'm sure you figured this out by now, but the Beta was not scheduled for yesterday, it's scheduled for today, the 8th. Specifically, at 1 p.m. EST.

Yeah, they had released the Beta early for reviewers and I think preorders. I never checked my wife's email to see if they emailed her a code.

I did not have time to play it anyways yesterday.

I played a few rounds this morning. And we're gonna record doing the Survival Mode this afternoon.

So far, I'm not very into it.

The review I read for it said the best mode was probably the least Star Wars mode of the bunch. It was like a scramble version of Control in Destiny. 

I toyed with all 3 modes for a bit last night. I thought Drop Zone was the most fun mode of the bunch, but as the review I read also noted, it definitely has the least Star Wars-like mode in the game. It also is the most like your standard FPS fair in this game.

I am just not sure that I really enjoyed Walker Assault. I understood the objectives, and I was on the Imperial side, but I am not sure that there was a good way to tell when the Walkers were close enough to completing their objective. It seems unless you can consistently keep the uplinks going for the Rebels that you are guaranteed defeat on that side more times than not.  The Hoth map was pretty gorgeous though. I also thought the Vader/Skywalker interaction stuff in this was kind of clunky.

Survival was okay. I thought Tatooine once again looked great visually, but I was pretty bored with the mission before I was done with it. It seems like more of the traditional Battlefront stuff was locked, which I hated because, if anything, this beta did a better job of making me want to cancel my preorder than getting me excited for this game.

I'm cancelling my preorder tonight when I pick up Uncharted Collection. It's not a BAD game, but it's definitely only for the online multiplayer twitch shooter crowd (like CoD and Battlefield) and that's just not me. I was hoping it might do something different from those games to make me enjoy it (like Evolve and Rainbow Six Siege have) but it just doesn't. Run in, shoot, die. Run in, shoot, die. Rinse, wash, repeat.

It does feature some of the most gorgeous graphics I've ever seen. I'm glad I checked it out, but that was enough for me, I'm done with it.

If you're running in, shooting and dying, then you're doing it wrong. Going balls out in Battlefield games, which this basically is, is never a good strategy. You need to take your time. It's even better if you're playing with others you know or are on a team that's communicating with each other so people just aren't running in, shooting and dying.

• Like 1

I got the beta for PC and I don't have a monster card at all, nvidia 760, I really think this is one of the most beautiful games I've seen.  I really enjoyed the round of survival that I played.  I also agree with Neil Koch that it was weird taking down AT-ST's with a rifle.

If you're running in, shooting and dying, then you're doing it wrong. Going balls out in Battlefield games, which this basically is, is never a good strategy. You need to take your time. It's even better if you're playing with others you know or are on a team that's communicating with each other so people just aren't running in, shooting and dying.

Took me about 10 minutes to remember I was playing a battlefield game and things improved immensely thereafter. Only played a bit but it's pretty fun. I want to play more before making any snap judgment.

Has anyone from Lucasarts ever explained why they never had James Earl Jones voice Darth Vader in any of the games?  Was it cheapness on Lucasfilm's part or did Mr. Jones simply not want to do video games after "Under A Killing Moon?"

EDIT: I remember Entertainment Weekly, in doing an article on "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" actually called up Harrison Ford's agent and quoted him as saying that Ford was perfectly willing to do voice over work, but his asking price was $500,000, which Lucasarts wasn't willing to pay.

FYI, if you didn't know, the Battlefront beta got extended another 3 days.

Played a little more of it.  There is already a huge chasm between people who have obviously played the beta a ton and people like me that haven't played it much.  Hopefully the matchmaking in the full game will be a little more forgiving.  And leveling up will be less grindy.

Also I'm not really a fan of having stuff like the Hero and vehicle powerups being tiny icons that are barely visible.

I did take out a AT ST last night using Luke which was fun.

No voice chat in Battlefront. Not a joke.

ign.com/articles/2015/10/13/star-wars-battlefront-wont-have-dedicated-voice-chat

So I won't have 7-year old dipshits cursing me out every five seconds? Awesome.

You know you can turn that off in pretty much every game....