DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole, totally forgot this happened and how awesome this was...

I've never seen this before. That made me laugh so hard. 

EDIT: I mean, I think that tops, "when you buy a hat like this, I bet you get a free bowl of soup! Looks good on you though!"

The longer we deal with today's awful announcing, the more I long for Vince's WHATTAMANEUVER  style.  The guy didn't know all the moves and always jumped the gun on 3 counts but he had passion and SOLD you that shit.  Yes, he had to, as it was his company, but still. 

• Like 2

The longer we deal with today's awful announcing, the more I long for Vince's WHATTAMANEUVER style. The guy didn't know all the moves and always jumped the gun on 3 counts but he had passion and SOLD you that shit. Yes, he had to, as it was his company, but still.

That's what I miss the most, the enthusiasm. The announcers today seem almost bored by what they're watching. Say what you will about Lawler in the late 90's, but the man was excited. Usually about cringworthy things, but excited no less.

• Like 1

Question.  Did Chris Benoit use the Styles Clash for a few weeks like a year or so before he killed himself?  I kind of remember him doing something else besides the crossface and headbutt as a finisher.  I may be making this whole thing up.  Thanks.  

Crash Holly used it for a while.

Question.  Did Chris Benoit use the Styles Clash for a few weeks like a year or so before he killed himself?  I kind of remember him doing something else besides the crossface and headbutt as a finisher.  I may be making this whole thing up.  Thanks.  

A Crash Clash?

A Crash Clash?

Ahhhhh....so at least a roided up vanilla midget did do the move.  

The longer we deal with today's awful announcing, the more I long for Vince's WHATTAMANEUVER style. The guy didn't know all the moves and always jumped the gun on 3 counts but he had passion and SOLD you that shit. Yes, he had to, as it was his company, but still.

To this day, I strongly believe that they missed the boat by not having Vince revert to being classic announcer Vince when he had the set crash onto him. It was the perfect situation, and at that time, would've been something really entertaining.

**edit**

...and for posterity:

http://youtu.be/m9G3YSap0Oc

• Like 1

A Crash Clash?

Ahhhhh....so at least a roided up vanilla midget did do the move.  

Dude, he weighed over 400+ lbs. 

• Like 9

I remember for about 2 weeks when Bob Holly's nickname was "The Big Shot" and the only thing to the gimmick was he hit dudes with really hard unprotected chairshots.  Ah the good old days when we didn't understand CTE.

Also the time Holly and Billy Gunn teamed for a few weeks and their finish was "the Gunn Holly Bomb."  GHB for short.  Charming.

• Like 1

I remember for about 2 weeks when Bob Holly's nickname was "The Big Shot" and the only thing to the gimmick was he hit dudes with really hard unprotected chairshots.  Ah the good old days when we didn't understand CTE.

Also the time Holly and Billy Gunn teamed for a few weeks and their finish was "the Gunn Holly Bomb."  GHB for short.  Charming.

He was doing the super heavyweight thing when he was using The Big Shot name. He started using it when he started going after Big Show and Kane. He said something like, "Well if you're the Big Show, I'm the Big Shot" and started saying he was a super heavyweight like those guys. They just went further with the gimmick once Crash got there.

My main take away from when they did that segment was how double-awful it made their current announce team seem

Can't really argue with this. My question would be, who should replace them?

Every time I hear edge/christian on a podcast or on that smackdown special they had awhile back I don't understand why they're not doing a c-show on a weekly basis.  

The art of heel announcing has also seemingly been lost.  Corey Graves tries but he sucks.  Being a heel announcer doesn't mean burying the talent.  It's more subtle than that and nobody today has the deft hand that, say, Heenan did.

I would say the heel announcer concept just sucks in general and I have no idea why it's lasted as long as it has. Ventura was the closest to getting it right, but he still went over the top with it quite a bit.

• Like 2