DVDVR Message Board

UFC 192: Cormier vs. Gustafsson (10/3/2015) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Dana White ‏@danawhite 9m

Hendricks vs Woodley is off the card due to Hendricks weight cut issues.

Your first victim of the IV ban, ladies and gentlemen.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

God dammit. Well, that sucks.

HOUSTON -- Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley is off UFC 192.

According to Hendricks' manager Ted Ehrhardt, Hendricks suffered a blockage in his intestine last night while cutting weight, as well as a kidney stone. He was rushed to the emergency room and had to be given an IV. UFC president Dana White announced via Twitter Friday morning that Hendricks-Woodley was off due to "Hendricks weight cut issues."

The welterweight contender fight was scheduled to be the co-main event of tomorrow's UFC 192 card.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/2/9439841/johny-hendricks-forced-out-of-ufc-192-fight-after-being-rushed-to

I was pretty much mainly interested in Johny's fight and now that's gone.

Ariel also linked to something on Twitter about Johny parting ways with Dolce, but I can't view it. What was that all about?

Not the news I wanted to hear the day before I am watching this fight live.

Daniel Cormier even said that people didn't understand what was coming with the IVs and USADA.  

Hendricks said the ban wasn't going to be a problem.

I was pretty much mainly interested in Johny's fight and now that's gone.

Ariel also linked to something on Twitter about Johny parting ways with Dolce, but I can't view it. What was that all about?

That could be trumped up.  As far as I know, Hendricks did not work with Dolce for his last couple of camps.

I don't think they always give the guy a win bonus if they don't get to fight.  Not sure if he gets percentage of purse either because technically Hendricks didn't show up.  Though not sure what all the Texas commission rules are.

How much moolah does Tyron get? Appearance, win bonus and a percentage of Johnny's purse? That's what I'm thinking.

Haven't seen anything as far that goes. We'll probably know soon.

Mike Bohn @MikeBohnMMA 4m4 minutes ago

RT @KevinI: Just spoke with @danawhite and he said @TWooodley will get the title shot next, fighting Lawler-Condit winner.

Kevin Iole @KevinI 3m3 minutes ago

Also, @danawhite said he considers @JohnyHendricks a middleweight as of now. @MarcRatnerUFC confirmed JH was 20-25 pounds over on Tuesday

I don't think they always give the guy a win bonus if they don't get to fight.  Not sure if he gets percentage of purse either because technically Hendricks didn't show up.  Though not sure what all the Texas commission rules are.

How much moolah does Tyron get? Appearance, win bonus and a percentage of Johnny's purse? That's what I'm thinking.

Haven't seen anything as far that goes. We'll probably know soon.

Mike Bohn @MikeBohnMMA 4m4 minutes ago

RT @KevinI: Just spoke with @danawhite and he said @TWooodley will get the title shot next, fighting Lawler-Condit winner.

Kevin Iole @KevinI 3m3 minutes ago

Also, @danawhite said he considers @JohnyHendricks a middleweight as of now. @MarcRatnerUFC confirmed JH was 20-25 pounds over on Tuesday

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN now3 seconds ago

Can confirm Woodley will receive show money for 192. And at this point I'm told he plans to step on scale and make weight today.

Cheers guys. I don't have a problem with either of White's decisions. Hopefully the money and getting the next UFC Welterweight Championship shop without fighting will be a make good to Tyron having to go through a training camp and weight cutting not to fight. Hendricks shit the bed here.

Johny is one of my favorite fighters, but I think he's fucked at 185. It doesn't help that it appears Dana doesn't like him.

Whether or not he is done at 170 is probably still up to him. The UFC paid for someone to help Gastelum, but I don't think they going to do that for everyone who tries to cut massive amounts of weight. I think this goes especially for someone who HAD someone else to help them and then got rid of that person. 

If he can't make 170 safely, then he has no other option but to fight at 185. If he showed up in Houston at 195-197 and was 183 on Thursday, maybe that's where he needs to be.

Johny is one of my favorite fighters, but I think he's fucked at 185. It doesn't help that it appears Dana doesn't like him.

Whether or not he is done at 170 is probably still up to him. The UFC paid for someone to help Gastelum, but I don't think they going to do that for everyone who tries to cut massive amounts of weight. I think this goes especially for someone who HAD someone else to help them and then got rid of that person. 

If he can't make 170 safely, then he has no other option but to fight at 185. If he showed up in Houston at 195-197 and was 183 on Thursday, maybe that's where he needs to be.

I'm still iffy about the Gastelum thing.  But it also makes me believe White won't force Hendricks to go up to 185 despite what he says now.  He went on and on about how Gastelum is not a welterweight and how he looks great at welterweight, just to book him for another fight at 170 in a MAIN EVENT mind you against Matt Brown.  Just seems to be asking for trouble.

I'm still iffy about the Gastelum thing.  But it also makes me believe White won't force Hendricks to go up to 185 despite what he says now.  He went on and on about how Gastelum is not a welterweight and how he looks great at welterweight, just to book him for another fight at 170 in a MAIN EVENT mind you against Matt Brown.  Just seems to be asking for trouble.

Hence, the concerted effort to get Gastelum back down to welterweight.

Probably the last thing I will say on Hendricks:

This is one of the weird times I think Meltzer is bit off-base, and one of the really rare times I think Bryan Alvarez is right on a certain situation. The gist of Meltzer's argument on the 10/2 edition of WOR is that almost everyone cuts a ton of weight and that the UFC shouldn't rush to judgment (offering Woodley the title shot & punishing Hendricks in his opinion) on the matter. This also including a pointless anecdote about being cold at the Arnold Classic years ago.

Anyway, while I agree with certain aspects of Dave's argument, I don't think passing it off as everyone cuts a ton of weight is applicable here. Even Alvarez was surprised that Meltzer dismissed blaming Hendricks. You would think the same guy who is so adamant about Cyborg getting down would at least discuss the rationale of someone like Hendricks blowing it.

The thing here is that obviously several fighters cut a ton of weight, however, not too many fighters completely blow up a de facto title eliminator in the way Hendricks did. Knowing the circumstances surrounding the fighters and the actual fight, you can't really fault the UFC trying to do a make good here (even though it sounds like the UFC is going with whatever gets Woodley back in the cage first). Woodley is just coming off a fight several months ago where he fought another fighter who missed weight. Coming into a fight where he had a ton riding on beating Hendricks and breaking up his streak of inactivity, this fight being done away with pretty much was a bigger blow to him than the 192 card. In addition, he said he was counting on the money from this fight after being away for awhile.

In reading the Junkie article this morning with his strength and conditioning coach Adrian Ramirez, this doesn't seem like anyone's fault but Johny Hendricks. Ramirez doesn't paint a rosy picture of how this camp went. There is a clear disconnect between Hendricks and his camp where the latter refuses to be direct with Hendricks about his choices. Common sense says there shouldn't be any pacts about Hendricks showing up in camp at 195 or in shape like he did for UFC 185. This should happen everytime out. However, Hendricks took a giant shortcut by being a gigantic cheapskate and paid dearly for it. Kidney stones before the weigh-in is one thing. Hiring some random guy to be this conference call nutritionist prior to a major fight and policy change is another. Hendricks showed up to start his camp out of a shape and couldn't get the weight off. He felt like shit, and this random guy told him to start eating more. He also didn't make any attempt to alert the UFC or his opponent Tyron Woodley about this trouble and tried to pass it off that he was in great shape. In doing that, not only was he fucking up the UFC's card, he was fucking up Woodley's money. This was not some extenuating circumstance by any means. Knowing Hendricks' weight issues, he is anything but a sympathetic figure in this situation.

I know Meltzer is more a fan of title fights being born in a more authentic way, but there aren't too many options here. I don't think it is feasible to just reschedule this fight at 170 a few months down the line and that's it. They had an authentic way to get a title contender, and then Johny Hendricks disposed of that option.