DVDVR Message Board

UFC 192: Cormier vs. Gustafsson (10/3/2015) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_192_Cormier_vs._Gustafsson_Poster.jp

UFC 192: Cormier vs. Gustafsson 
October 3, 2015
Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Daniel Cormier © (205) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (204) (first defense) - Cormier, DEC (split)
Ryan Bader (206) vs. Rashad Evans (205) - Bader, DEC (unanimous)
Shawn Jordan (265) vs. Ruslan Magomedov (236) - Magomedov, DEC (unanimous)
Joseph Benavidez (126) vs. Ali Bagautinov (125) - Benavidez, DEC (unanimous)
Jessica Eye (136) vs. Julianna Peña (135) - Peña, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Yair Rodríguez (145) vs. Dan Hooker (146) - Rodríguez, DEC (unanimous)
Alan Jouban (170) vs. Albert Tumenov (170) - Tumenov, KO (punch), R1 (2:55)
Islam Makhachev (156) vs. Adriano Martins (156) - Martins, KO (punch), R1 (1:46)
Rose Namajunas (115) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Namajunas, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:47)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Frank Trevino (160)* vs. Sage Northcutt (156) - Northcutt, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:57)
Chris Cariaso (126) vs. Sergio Pettis (126) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)
Derrick Lewis (265) vs. Viktor Pešta (237) - Lewis, TKO (punches), R3 (1:15)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Adriano Martins
Performance of the Night: Albert Tumenov
Fight of the Night: Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson

Attendance: 14,626
Gate: $1,859,000
Buyrate: 250,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Derrick Lewis vs. Anthony Hamilton - Injury to Hamilton

Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley - Hendricks Pulled Due to Weight Cutting Issues

Man, Gus lost a lot of his luster getting smacked around by the guy DC just humbled. It's still a very intriguing fight still and there's a lot of interesting MMAth when you look at the grappling game. Gustafsson did very well in the grappling and wrestling department against Jones IIRC (just looking and Jones was only 1 of 11 on takedowns but stuffed 7 of Alexander's 8 attempts too) and Jones dominated Cormier in January in that department. 

I hope I'm wrong about Bader/Evans like I was with Hall/Mousasi but that could be really ugly. Conversely, Jouban vs. Tumenov has FOTN written all over it.

Returning to my hometown to watch this fight, so I hope it does not disappoint.  There are some really good potential fights and fighters on this card, especially Jouban vs. Tumenov.  However, I hope it's not wall-to-wall decisions when it comes time for the main card.

Just saying, you've got Tyron Woodley vs. Johny Hendricks and Ryan Bader vs. Rashad Evans on the same card.  Hope it's not all grind town with decisions, but it could turn out that way.

• Like 1

Man, Gus lost a lot of his luster getting smacked around by the guy DC just humbled. It's still a very intriguing fight still and there's a lot of interesting MMAth when you look at the grappling game. Gustafsson did very well in the grappling and wrestling department against Jones IIRC (just looking and Jones was only 1 of 11 on takedowns but stuffed 7 of Alexander's 8 attempts too) and Jones dominated Cormier in January in that department. 

The thing about this is that Anthony Johnson hits incredibly hard. If there was anyone who was going to do that to Gustafsson, it was going to be Rumble. Don't forget that early on, he also had Cormier on ice skates. 

Head to head, Cormier is going to fight a much different fight than trying to knock Alex's block off. I think what Gustafsson's problem might be is that Cormier most likely is going be around for awhile. The reason he was able to win that fight with Rumble is he has insane durability. It reminds me of when Edgar was LW champ. The guy is basically dead to rights and then he creeps back into the fight. Then, he ends up fighting a better fight in the 3rd round or the championship rounds better than most guys fight in the first round. For someone like Gustafsson, who slowed down at many points late in the Jones fight, that should be scary as shit. He can't go out there and do enough to look competitive like he did at JBJ. A lot of the controversy post-fight was brought about because people were shocked someone was landing appreciable offense against a fighter who looked damn near invincible.

This is a much different story. If Cormier starts suplexing and slamming him around, then landing 2 or 3 good punches or strikes a round isn't going to resonate with the judges. He has to keep Cormier off him or it's going to be a long, miserable night.

• Like 3

Comier vs, Rumble was a clash of wills.   Rumble got disheartened when his better shots did not put DC down and DC crept back into the fight.   The worst enemy of Rumble is Rumble himself.

If Gus is going to win, he has to kill DC with bug bites and stay off of the mat.  DC has an amazing chin and insane recoup powers.  If Rumble couldn't blast DC to dreamland, then Gus certainly cannot so Gus is going to have to rely on bunches of punches to get it done. 

Gus has to stay standing for as long as he can and keep DC at the edge of his reach.  If DC starts clenching / dirty boxing and suplexing Gus, it is going to be a long night at the office.

• Like 1

But Jon Jones couldn't do that to Gustafsson and Jon Jones at times manhandled Cormier. I know it doesn't really work like that, but I'm very intrigued to see how the grappling goes in the early stages. I just don't see Cormier ragdolling him in the first three rounds. 

Agree with Elsalvajeloco on the likeliest outcome is Gustafsson getting worn out and eventually outgrappled into a decision though. I like both guys but I think it would be best for the division if Gustafsson should win, as it sets up a lot of great possible fights down the line with Cormier in a rematch, Johnson looking to split his wig again, and if Jones should return the rematch we've all been wanting. Doesn't really matter though because Gustafsson is a firm underdog for a reason at this point.

Gustaffson must have thought it would take time to get another shot at the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship after getting stopped by strikes quickly to Rumble but here he is. I thought Alexander beat Jones and would have booked an immediate rematch as in this game you run the risk of things not working with out with the afforementioned Gus loss and Jon Jones behaviour. Like the main card. Agree with TheVileOne on Hendricks/Woodley and Evans/Bader. Hopefully they'll mix it up.

• Like 1

The main event is a very interesting match-up.  Gustafsson will have a size advantage going on, but Cormier is generally very good at closing the distance and imposing his will, especially against bigger guys.   Gustafsson showed excellent takedown defense against Jones, but Cormier is not the same type of wrestler as Jones.  And he's also built very differently.  He's strong enough to just toss guys around like ragdolls.  He's also good at clinching up with you and making you carry all his body weight.  

But Jon Jones couldn't do that to Gustafsson and Jon Jones at times manhandled Cormier.

I think you're leaving a lot of the mental game out of the equation.  Frustration pretty much destroyed DC in his match with Jones and it got to Rumble when he fought DC.  Gus was never afraid of Jones and always managed to keep his head in the fight.  I think the power of Rumble took Gus by surprise in their fight and I think that if Gus had that fight over, he'd do a lot of things differently.

So yeah, UFC is going all in on Sage Northcutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu5UREjLGdI

@pdlmma @Patrick_Wyman They put him in workouts because the Houston Chronicle needed action shots for my story. Legit.

@pdlmma @Patrick_Wyman Front page feature on him in the paper on Friday. They realize what they have.

BTW, Northcutt is the kid Dana White freaked out about when he saw him fight at a Legacy show months back and then signed him minutes after he beat Texas journeyman Rocky Long on another Legacy show.

I mean, I know he's a young undefeated prospect, but how good is he really?

Well, considering he is only 19, I don't think we're going to find out anytime soon. Right now, I think they would be happy if he could beat guys on Trevino's level. Trevino was suppose to be a prospect, and then a much better prospect in Johnny Case soundly beat him. If he can do the same thing, he will continue to fight dudes on that level until they feel he is ready to move up.

Since we were discussing Northcutt, I wonder if the UFC does to re-evaluate their stance on Sergio Pettis. Cariaso is kind of a tough matchup for someone who still has broken through a certain level yet (even in a thin division). He can beat him, but he can also find a way to drop another fight. With him only being 22, you can drop him from the roster and let him chill out in WSOF or RFA for 18 months. I don't think he is completely done as a prospect, but he is missing a few things from his overall game. Even though I know he will be afforded every chance, I still think that would be the right move.

Oh, I don't expect them to. Like I said, he is going to get every opportunity. However, how long before they recognize he needs more seasoning and more fights in a less pressure filled atmosphere?