DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Because they spent so much time with him, I almost think 2040s Ollie ends up making the sacrifice instead now.

He’s definitely Chekhov’s arrow.

I rewatched the end and laughed a bit at the Monitor bringing Ollie back, saying he fought until his last breath, only for Ollie to basically go “Nah, I saved a few more breaths for goodbye speeches.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In news about super hero stuff being given attention by awards-giving bodies (which seems to be a thing lots of people care about), Watchman is nominated for the Critics' Choice Award for best drama series. Also nominated are Regina King, Tim Blake Nelson, and Jean Smart. 

Update: No Golden Globe nominations. HFPA gonna HFPA.

21 minutes ago, Log said:

One of this week's Peteypedia entries probably gives away the identity of Lube Man.

Funny you mention this. After I was done raving about the episode last night and after I came down off of the high it put me on I couldn't help but think, "man, we're really not going to learn what Lube Man was all about, are we?"

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Funny you mention this. After I was done raving about the episode last night and after I came down off of the high it put me on I couldn't help but think, "man, we're really not going to learn what Lube Man was all about, are we?"

There's also something in that same Peteypedia article that leads me to believe we haven't seen the last of him.

A God Walks Into A Bar may be the second best episode of the season right behind Little Fear of Lightning.

It's interesting to note the Biblical context in this show.  People that respect strength like Jean and Veidt often refer to Jon as a "god," but Jon's capture at the end of the episode kinda flies in the face of Dr. Manhattan's divinity.  It was also interesting to note that Doctor Manhattan ie god was not pleased with his paradise on Europa nor was he satisfied with his attempt at creating human life.

Conversely in Genesis, God is very pleased with the way that the earth and mankind turned out (at least initially).  Every creation is usually punctuated with the phrase "and it was good."

Manhattan may have an expanded consciousness, but plain old Jon Ostermann is kicking around in there somewhere.

We also see clear delineations in his powers.

• He can be (possibly) restricted by spatial disturbances, however whether he merely allowed himself to be captured in order to set other events into motion remains to be seen.
  • His omnipotence appears to be limited to himself.  He can only "see" into the past or future of his immediate experience.  

And speaking of God, God bless Damon Lindelöf for FINALLY having a relatively accurate example of how temporal mechanics kinda works.  It was cool to notice how past actions influenced future events and rarely visa versa.  You did had the odd blurb of Angela setting Will on the path to kill Judd, but that was somewhat excusable because Doctor Manhattan (ie. because magic).

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Jon was plenty pleased with creating a utopia and his attempt at creating life. He just didn't want to be worshiped as a god and be the only thing his creations lived and breathed for. He did his work, was happy with it (for him), and moved on because there was nothing left to do and just being there to be worshiped as a deity is boring.

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jon was plenty pleased with creating a utopia and his attempt at creating life. He just didn't want to be worshiped as a god and be the only thing his creations lived and breathed for. He did his work, was happy with it (for him), and moved on because there was nothing left to do and just being there to be worshiped as a deity is boring.

If he didn't want to be worshipped as a god, then why did he deliberately create them to be passive?  By nature they would be deferential to the leadership figure.

It was strange to see how this episode turned out to be a validation of the perceived negative aspects of human nature.   Sure, we can be idiots, but we are also driven to do more than just survive.  The qualities that Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias found to be "dangerous" in humans actually work to ensure our continued prosperity, not just our survival.  Things can get messy, but that's society for you.

Given the huge slap fight in the DC Movie thread about Shazam following the "Marvel" formula, I thought it was hilarious that this episode came complete with an end credit scene.

Edited by J.T.

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Given the huge slap fight in the DC Movie thread about Shazam following the "Marvel" formula, I thought it was hilarious that this episode came complete with an end credit scene.

That feels like an interesting choice too because most shows that have done the post-credits tease were shows that did it during their season finales. This was done during the Penultimate episode, so I doubt we get it again next week. Also, will be odd if this only ends up being a one season show, but it sounds like that was possibly the intent of this thing.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That feels like an interesting choice too because most shows that have done the post-credits tease were shows that did it during their season finales. This was done during the Penultimate episode, so I doubt we get it again next week. Also, will be odd if this only ends up being a one season show, but it sounds like that was possibly the intent of this thing.

The trailer for the next episode referred to it as the Season Finale rather than the Series Finale, so I assume we're going to get a second season which is perfectly fine by me.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Something that has been on my mind. Are they trying to suggest that the "future" Oliver that the Legends met in season 1 was the same as the one Sara met here? She said "we've been there before".

Yes, I believe that’s the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Damon is a big fan of Masters of the Universe?  On Lady Trieu,  I don't trust her..  there's a connection there between her and Veidt obviously and if Dr. Manhattan as a reflex nuked the Calvary when they attacked Angela then how did they find out who Cal really was unless Will told Lady Trieu or she knows through Veidt and set this up..   She's up to more than what she let on I feel. 

You're right,  Dr. Manhattan cannot really see anyone's future outside of what happens to him,  I am guessing he calculated the best possible option and the best possible outcome and this is how it had to play out for him and Angela. 

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You're right,  Dr. Manhattan cannot really see anyone's future outside of what happens to him,  I am guessing he calculated the best possible option and the best possible outcome and this is how it had to play out for him and Angela. 

Theoretically, now that he's recovered his memory and power, it's possible that he merely allowed himself to be captured by 7K because that action will be the catalyst to resolving future events.... that he'll already be aware of.... to his favor..

It's also interesting how this show continues to bump heads with the graphic novel.   First the poetic license and extrapolation taken with the origin of Hooded Justice and now the idea that Dr. Manhattan is in love with Angela Abar…. which honestly seems a bit icky since she wasn't even born when Manhattan and Laurie Blake / Juspeczyk / Silk Specter II were shacked up together for nearly twenty years.

I guess he already knew that he and Blake were going to eventually break up so that gave him license to pursue Angela.  

The silence of Manhattan never telling Angela about his relationship with Blake is deafening.