DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I watched the first episode of Titans. There were some things I liked and some things that weren't working for me but I like Robin and his backstory and I like the actor so that's a good start for me.  It was hyper violent and sad at times but that's fine with me.  I had heard as the story goes on it gets less dark so we'll see.  I could see what was going on in the action scenes so that's nice. 

Watched Flash season premiere this morning.  Quite enjoyed it.  XS was immediately likable.  

Mostly liked Black Lightning, though not pleased they are seemingly going to jettison the school to focus more on super-heroing and government conspiracies.  I really wanted them to get more (any) mileage out of the idea that Jefferson Pierce, school principal, has saved more lives than Black Lightning.

• Like 1

Can't put my finger on it, but something feels different about Arrow. Could be the effort to cycle out old characters, or the fact that they brought back the previous season's villain. Not sure, but it feels different. Are they doing time travel???

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Can't put my finger on it, but something feels different about Arrow. Could be the effort to cycle out old characters, or the fact that they brought back the previous season's villain. Not sure, but it feels different. Are they doing time travel???

I liked the change in the overall feel, and I also literally said out loud, "They're doing fuckin' time travel?" Ok, I'm down with it. 

11 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Legends of Tomorrow has this superhero TV show thing figured out to an incredibly degree.

So does Black Lightning, Arrow, the Flash and Supergirl, and so did Birds of Prey.

The obligatory training scenes in Arrow have shamed me into taking it up a notch when I am in the gym.  I'll never be crostfit enough to do salmon ladders, but I am doubly inspired not to skip leg day too many times.

DC is ridiculously on point with their television shows.  I think the only one that hasn't worked for me is Gotham.

I kinda like Gotham for being so over the top.

I'm trying to think of the worst recent DC series, and I'm coming up with... Constantine? The live-action series that aired on NBC a few years back was fairly bad.  There's probably something I'm forgetting though.

I'm not a big fan of Legends.  It's the least of the Berlanti series, imo, but that season 4 trailer looks nuts.  I'm in.

I really enjoyed the premiere of Supergirl. The show has always proudly worn its politics on its sleeve, be it girl power, LGBTQ issues, or prejudice. 

But this season looks like they're just going full on, and I love it. It's Agent Liberty as basically an alt-right terrorist representing the hate and bigotry out there while basically saying "Make America Great Again" by killing alien immigrants. And while the country is split, it's leaving itself open to the real threat, the Russians and their Supergirl. Who would have thought that the most political show on TV would be Supergirl? And it totally fits in to the take they have that she represents truth, Justice, and the American way.

Oh, having Mercy and Otis as the henchmen of Agent Liberty is the nerd icing on the cake.

• Like 4

Really enjoying the first couple eps of Arrow with the new showrunner.

Legends was fun.  Doom-and-gloom Constantine and his pretentious dialogue felt like he was beamed in from a different universe (lol, the grim-and-gritty DCU proper).  

The first unicorn scene would have been hilarious if they hadn't given the punchline away in the trailer.

• Like 1

You'd think, though, that when you're casting Bane, you'd look for a really jacked up muscle guy. Not just cast a skinny lad and put him in a really obvious, badly proportioned muscle suit.

• Like 1

I can't be the only one who is completely stunned that Oliver is still in jail 2 episodes in, and doesn't look like he is even close to getting out.  Part of me is wondering if the flash forwards with his son is indicating that he's in there for a good long while? I know with the crossover coming up, that might be impossible. Everything about the first two episodes just feels like an entirely new, fresh show in it's structure.