DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 9/22/2017 at 10:13 AM, Mickie Zeidler said:

Not only that, but word is Inhumans has already been cancelled.  Will they air all the episodes?

At this point they might be better off putting the master tapes in the same area the E.T. Atari games are/were buried.

• Like 1

Oh, no, they're really going through with this.  Well, might as well get the popcorn and a couple drinks, this is looking like a fun thing to shit on.  I'm just hoping a lot of people don't tune in for the "so bad it's good" factor and they think this is a ratings hit.

• Like 1

Report: Disney Forcing ABC To Keep Airing Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Buried at the bottom of a Variety report ABC’s upcoming TV prospects, and following talk about the drama between  is the revelation that ABC executives wanted to cancel the show, but Disney mandated that it continue:

Earlier this year, the mandate came down from Disney for ABC to renew its other Marvel drama, “Agents of SHIELD,” despite the desire by some at the network to end the series after four seasons. Having aired on Tuesdays since its inception, “SHIELD” is shifting to Friday nights this season when “Inhumans” finishes its initial eight-episode run.

Variety buries the FUCK out of Inhumans.

Remember how critics laid into “Iron Fist” a few months ago? The showrunner from that unloved program, Scott Buck, moved over to “Marvel’s Inhumans.” Somehow he’s outdone himself: “Iron Fist” looks like “Citizen Kane” next to this slapped-together, incoherent, cheap-looking mess.

Do not spend any of your limited time on this planet watching this show. If you have a superpower, use it to race away from “Inhumans” faster than the speed of light.

• Haha 1

How in the fuck is Disney forcing ABC to keep Agents on?  Disney is the parent company.  That's like me forcing my kid to go to school. 

You have no say in the matter, my daughter.  Get your little ass on that bus.

God, that Punisher trailer just reassures me that Iron Fist and Inhumans were minor bumps in the road and that generally everything is okay in MCU TVLand.

On 9/30/2017 at 12:38 AM, J.T. said:

How in the fuck is Disney forcing ABC to keep Agents on?  Disney is the parent company.  That's like me forcing my kid to go to school. 

You have no say in the matter, my daughter.  Get your little ass on that bus.

I think it's because Disney usually allows the various companies to operate fairly autonomously and having them step in and save a show, especially one that already has enough episodes for syndication, is unusual.

To torture your analogy, it would be you suddenly giving your daughter a hard and fast rule about something she was allowed to decide on her own yesterday.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

To torture your analogy, it would be you suddenly giving your daughter a hard and fast rule about something she was allowed to decide on her own yesterday.

It is not torturing my analogy.  It is my prerogative as a parent to take away such privilege at my discretion.  I try to be fair, but I don't have to be.

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It is not torturing my analogy.  It is my prerogative as a parent to take away such privilege at my discretion.  I try to be fair, but I don't have to be.

Yes but she would likely be quite miffed with you if you did. That's where ABC was.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes but she would likely be quite miffed with you if you did. That's where ABC was.

Miffed or no, as the parent it's still my call. 

When she gets her own place aka if ABC ever becomes a truly autonomous media company again, it / she can call their own shots.

How in the fuck did ABC think that they'd be so autonomous that they had right of refusal not to continue airing the product of a sister company in Disney / Marvel? 

I don't give a fuck if you're not getting along with your sister, go and pick her up from her Spanish Club meeting at school and get me a fucking gallon of milk from the store while you're out.  Here's a twenty. Bring back my fucking change.

• Like 2

It's not the first time a parent company has overriden a network's decision to cancel a show.  For that matter, a fair number of programming decisions are made for reasons beside ratings.  it's not too unusual for a show like the Catch to get a second season because the network wants to "stay in the Shonda Rhimes business" (ie, they renew a middling show to stay on the good side of the creator). 

26 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It's not the first time a parent company has overriden a network's decision to cancel a show.  For that matter, a fair number of programming decisions are made for reasons beside ratings.  it's not too unusual for a show like the Catch to get a second season because the network wants to "stay in the Shonda Rhimes business" (ie, they renew a middling show to stay on the good side of the creator). 

I'm guessing ABC thought they'd be able to cancel it now because it was past season 4/episode 80 and thus Disney/Marvel can syndicate it, etc. Usually if a show owned by the network makes it to season 3, it'll get season 4 just for that reason. But it needs to really justify its existence to get 5.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's over now

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM, AxB said:

It'll be on SKY 1 in the UK. Same channel as Flash and all those shows. Not the same one as Agents of Shield.

First I've heard about this. Thanks.

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 12:36 AM, Ace said:

Variety buries the FUCK out of Inhumans.

Wow. Now that's a burial.

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Eivion said:

I'm kind of happy AoS won't die since I enjoy the show a good deal and last season was probably the best one yet.

On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Casey said:

Well, whatever, I'm grateful to Disney for their decision because last season of AoS was fuckin' fantastic.

I've liked AoS from the beginning and last season was the best yet. Agreed.

Not really seeing a problem.  There's still room for improvement with Danny, but it was one of the better relationships in Defenders.  Not only that, Finn would be a valuable ally for Luke to have at certain points, and they are best friends in the comics.  They might be setting up Heroes for Hire down the line as well.

I've been saying for months they should cancel Iron Fist and just throw him and Colleen onto Luke Cage and/or turn it into Heroes For Hire.

Just please, no more fucking Hand for awhile.

• Like 2

The story to Iron Fist never should have involved the Hand anyways outside of Gao. I'm happy Jones is still around. I want to see the relationship with Luke keep building, and it will be nice for his character to get more growth and rehabilitation before S2 of Iron Fist.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've been saying for months they should cancel Iron Fist and just throw him and Colleen onto Luke Cage and/or turn it into Heroes For Hire.

Just please, no more fucking Hand for awhile.

Totally.

Netflix and Marvel, because of the mass shooting in Las Vegas last Sunday, have pulled the Punisher panel from New York Comic-Con, and the rumor was they were going to surprise drop the first season on Netflix after the panel was over. So that's been pushed back. They've also pulled out of a screening event in Paris.