DVDVR Message Board

Also if they do the El Paso de la Muerte! (that has to be close to right)  then I'll probably be cool with them regardless. I'm terrible that way. 

Diving forearm smashes delivered to the back of the head are always good.  WWE sooo needs to bring up a couple of indy fatboys so that Los Matadors first match can be against The Mantaurs right before the inevitable feud with The Real Americans.

So basically, Daniel Bryan is the 99%.

Wrong. Daniel Bryan is actually employed and owns his house.

Well, it's his parents' house, they just don't live there. So he really is one of those guys who can't leave his parents...

I'm a little confused by Bald Bombshell because I thought.....

WWE have been on fire this year & have been great in the last couple of months in particular. Do I love everything? No, of course not...but I never will. But we're half way through the eighth month of the year & I would already put 2013 above the last several years.

I'm on the other side of this, as WWE has finally gotten me to stop watching after over 25 years.
...you didn't even watch this show any more.
  • Like 2

Those of us who fit into the first category who have a lot of talent to shine face a huge amount of hurdles (executive vice-presidents scheming to protect their spots with the help of people they know from top 15 MBA programs, allegedly independent corporate boards stocked with the CEOs buddies from the country club)  trying to make it to that spot. Bryan dealing with all of the odds stacked against him is the most I've ever related to a wrestling character. When he wins, we all do.

One thing I'd like to ask is if we've had a demographic shift since 1998. When there are less casual fans does that mean that the ones who remain are less working class? More working class? Are more middle class? Are less middle class? Is it that we have some of the kids who got into things in the late 90s, early 00s (and there were tons of kids wearing Austin shirts and what not and even the early Cena kids are probably in their late teenage years now) who stayed fans and grew up with the internet and became smarky? Have some of the older fans who are the ones we more stereotypically associate with pro wrestling fandom died off? Can you be a fan and avoid the internet mentality now? 

It's a way more middle-of-the-road audience these days, at least as to who they're marketing towards. It's PG-13. There's no more cathartic release for people who get cathartic releases seeing women get beaten. Wrestling will never attract a truly highbrow audience but it can attract an audience a little bit more mainstream than people who emulated the monster truck skull t-shirt part of Austin (while maybe skipping over the absurd work ethic part of the character).

I think the fans now are largely nerds. The adult audience are people who got hooked with this when we were kids and stayed with it through maturity. I think most wrestling fans (especially in the post-Internet age) are willing to admit they're nerds. Most of the kids of the Cena Generation are seemingly middle-of-the-road types whose parents buy T-Shirts as gifts. When did Cena's rise start? Ten years ago or so? His initial fan-base are now kids in college or late in high school who have grown more cynical -- they're the Internet kids discovering snark in wrestling and pop culture and, without probably realizing it, have grown up being told Everything's Possible and realizing that it's not at a younger age than we did.

That's why Bryan became what he became. That's why AJ became a star -- she's the obtainable pretty girl (who became a lunatic, and we all had girls like that in our lives at some point). Punk's a little too cool for school compared to most of us but every good group of dorks in high school was friends with the skater kid who threw his board into the toolbag linebacker's car windshield that time.

I'm in the 99% and have a job and own a house. Not everyone in the 99% is in dire Detroit Red Belt condition. But we all know that it's going to be impossible to put a kid through college or retire by the age of 65 and it's also likely we'll get laid off.

Well, it's his parents' house, they just don't live there. So he really is one of those guys who can't leave his parents...

And he's only leaving that house cuz his girlfriend wants him to.

Is it fair to say that while Orton may have won the WWE Championship, Bryan retained his newly won Being John Cena Championship?

He's Interim John Cena Champion for 4-6 months.
  • Like 1

The old wrestling fan of the 80's would see Daniel Bryan get beat down and get upset and rally around him. The modern smark fan sees him get beat down and it's "Oh god it's all over! Casual fans won't like it."  

Except, the problem isn't that Bryan got beat down. I think that's been made perfectly clear. The problem is that he looked like a fucking moron. I think it's perfectly fine to have the corporate goons sneak attack Bryan when he's not looking. Or for them to concoct some evil plan to get him in a prone position and then strike. But for him to voluntarily walk into a 7-on-1 beating is just stupid. How dumb did it look to have him just standing back in gorilla, waiting for HHH to call him out so he could walk into a beating? Do we want people to support him out of pity and sympathy, or because he's the "ass kicker" (sorry HHH) who is going to come wreck shit when you fuck with him?

What Bryan did is like if Sting's first appearance as The Crow was not coming down from the rafters with a baseball bat, but instead sauntering out from backstage, down the ramp, with no weapon in hand, while the entire nWo stood in the ring and said "Hey guys, let's fight!". That would have made a ton of sense.

By the way, you guys can really miss me with this "sit back and see what happens!" shit. As if the WWE has given us any reason to afford them the benefit of the doubt? I don't even want to talk about the hot angles they've run into the ground over the last few years. When you look at how many less people are watching WWE since the last time they ran this angle, they're lucky cynical bastards like us are even still watching.

• Like 1

I didn't think he looked stupid. He looked like a guy who wants to kick Triple H in the face so bad that he wasn't paying attention. He made a mistake this week. Now he needs to learn from it and figure out how to achieve that goal. I'm also kind of excited because I think Daniel Bryan being alone Monday means he's going to need back up, and that rumored War Games match might happen.

Unless you are on the booking committee, sitting back and watching what happens is your only option.

I think his point is that the other option is saying "fuck this shit" and finding other things to do with your Mondays.

I support that too. You don't like it, that's cool. I stopped watching for a long time. Now Daniel Bryan is the Top Baby Face and I want to show support so that maybe, just maybe, the WWE will listen and not fuck this up.

I obviously still watch, but I've grown increasingly unable to establish emotional connection to anyone.  Everything pointed to Bryan winning the title on Sunday, but I was unable to convince myself that it would happen until it actually DID happen.

A lot of Foley comparisons have been made, but Foley wasn't the guy to end the heel's big title reign; that was Austin.  It'll take some work to convince me that the endgame will be Orton-Bryan and not Orton-Cena.

With Cena/Sheamus/Kane gone, they literally have no choice but to push new faces.

If things go well, then cool.  I'll just believe it when I see it...but then I said that about Bryan winning the belt, too.

-PB

The old wrestling fan of the 80's would see Daniel Bryan get beat down and get upset and rally around him. The modern smark fan sees him get beat down and it's "Oh god it's all over! Casual fans won't like it."  

Except, the problem isn't that Bryan got beat down. I think that's been made perfectly clear. The problem is that he looked like a fucking moron. I think it's perfectly fine to have the corporate goons sneak attack Bryan when he's not looking. Or for them to concoct some evil plan to get him in a prone position and then strike. But for him to voluntarily walk into a 7-on-1 beating is just stupid. How dumb did it look to have him just standing back in gorilla, waiting for HHH to call him out so he could walk into a beating? Do we want people to support him out of pity and sympathy, or because he's the "ass kicker" (sorry HHH) who is going to come wreck shit when you fuck with him?

What Bryan did is like if Sting's first appearance as The Crow was not coming down from the rafters with a baseball bat, but instead sauntering out from backstage, down the ramp, with no weapon in hand, while the entire nWo stood in the ring and said "Hey guys, let's fight!". That would have made a ton of sense.

By the way, you guys can really miss me with this "sit back and see what happens!" shit. As if the WWE has given us any reason to afford them the benefit of the doubt? I don't even want to talk about the hot angles they've run into the ground over the last few years. When you look at how many less people are watching WWE since the last time they ran this angle, they're lucky cynical bastards like us are even still watching.

Cry some more you fucking baby.

• Like 1