DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions IX

Dolfan in NYC

I could see Jericho turning Ambrose against Reigns. They made sure to point out that it was Ambrose who recruited the mystery partner.

I still think Reigns turns on Ambrose because A. Ambrose recruited Healthy Uso only to get choked out. B. Ambrose recruited Jericho only for Jericho to be a glory hound to grab the win and got choked out. So I'll assume Ambrose screws something else up and Reigns gets fed up and beats the hell out of him for his mistakes

I really only watched the show to see Stinger, and I was pleased with his match.  I've had my back go out on me in a match before, and it's tough to finish a match when that happens.  Major props to Sting for gutting that one at at the end.  I even thought the stoppage teased worked, and it was a nifty little finish too.

Cena vs. Taker has been done on PPV but only once and it was pre-Ace Cena and pre-current Taker. Biker Taker vs. Heel Thugonomics. Vengeance 03. Ruled. As did their few TV matches. They have really good chemistry actually and I've been craving that match for years now.

I forgot about that! To this day the only PPV I've ever watched in a Hooters. I think Vince bleeding from the chair stuff in the Zack Gowen match may have erased my memory.

EDIT:

The latest on Sting:

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0921/601868/more-on-sting-wwe-night-of-champions-injury/

Source: F4WOnline

As noted, Sting suffered what was believed to be a significant injury during the main event of last night's WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view. Apparently the injury came when he took the buckle bomb from WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins.

Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio provided an update and speculated that the neck injury could be a career injury. It was noted that Sting hurt his neck and that it's a pretty significant injury. Meltzer said, "It was serious and to his neck."

We'll keep you updated on any more information that becomes available.

To all the people who hated seeing Chris Jericho come back: whom would you rather have had in that spot? Especially considering that the entire point of the Mysterious Third Guy was that they were gonna be the loser in the match. He got thrown around like a ragdoll and lost by submission to a brand-new debuting rookie. What other former world champions are currently employed here that would be a good fit for doing that job?

For those saying "wrestlers should go to town on rail-jumpers," please keep in mind that it's 2015, and both cameras and lawyers are everywhere.

Yeah, back in the days of the territories, the cops would play ball with you if you comped them and/or paid them to moonlight as security, but WWE is too big and too public to get away with that. If WWE talent attack someone not presenting a danger, (like the dude today,) they're looking at a 6 figure payout.

I dunno if the law is the same in every state; but to the best of my knowledge, in most places you're automatically considered a potential threat to the performers if you jump the rail.

They wouldn't get sued. No athlete has ever been sued from hitting at fan that entered the playing field. You cross that baracade, the law doesn't protect you. Period. Ask that guy that ran on the court and got punched by Jermaine ONeal during the Palace Brawl.

To all the people who hated seeing Chris Jericho come back: whom would you rather have had in that spot? Especially considering that the entire point of the Mysterious Third Guy was that they were gonna be the loser in the match. He got thrown around like a ragdoll and lost by submission to a brand-new debuting rookie. What other former world champions are currently employed here that would be a good fit for doing that job?

For those saying "wrestlers should go to town on rail-jumpers," please keep in mind that it's 2015, and both cameras and lawyers are everywhere.

Yeah, back in the days of the territories, the cops would play ball with you if you comped them and/or paid them to moonlight as security, but WWE is too big and too public to get away with that. If WWE talent attack someone not presenting a danger, (like the dude today,) they're looking at a 6 figure payout.

I dunno if the law is the same in every state; but to the best of my knowledge, in most places you're automatically considered a potential threat to the performers if you jump the rail.

They wouldn't get sued. No athlete has ever been sued from hitting at fan that entered the playing field. You cross that baracade, the law doesn't protect you. Period. Ask that guy that ran on the court and got punched by Jermaine ONeal during the Palace Brawl.

I know it's apples and oranges but I was on a live broadcast last year and some drunk tried to grab the microphone while I was live and I put him on his ass (he was drunk enough to end up there himself.) His wife called the cops on me and the police said he crossed the line and nothing happened.

As I said on Twitter - the WWE picked someone who made me actually wish Kane or Randy Orton was the partner. HEY! They both fit all the criteria you mention. In fact even better since both are bigger and it would have made for a more impressive sight with Buckleberry Stonewash

Obviously, Kane was being used elsewhere.  Orton is pretty much off the clock right now.  They weren't going to use the Rock at a B-level PPV. Bryan hasn't been medically cleared by WWE doctors. So they went with the guy who could get a good pop, had a Wyatt connection, and was willing to do the job.  Not to mention that Jericho has been supportive of Reigns. It was the best outcome one could hope for.  Plus, it could lead to either an Ambrose/Jericho feud and/or Reigns kicking Ambrose's teeth in for always making bad choices and leaving him to pick up the pieces.  It wasn't the most exciting match of the night, but it was the best booked by far.

It was far from the best booked match - that being either Cena/Rollins or the IC Title (heck I would argue that the Tag Title match was booked better)

Even if you agree with all of your justification for including Jericho (which I don't) - Blackberry Smoke was in that match WAY too much. He should have been in just at the end (maybe like two power moves on the floor max before that) with Bray and Harper doing all the heavy lifting till then.

Also - you now have Reigns and Ambrose focused on their dumb ass mystery partner and forgetting about that whole "Sorry I was trying to eat your children Roman" angle with Bray.

It was far from the best booked match - that being either Cena/Rollins or the IC Title (heck I would argue that the Tag Title match was booked better)

Even if you agree with all of your justification for including Jericho (which I don't) - Blackberry Smoke was in that match WAY too much. He should have been in just at the end (maybe like two power moves on the floor max before that) with Bray and Harper doing all the heavy lifting till then.

Also - you now have Reigns and Ambrose focused on their dumb ass mystery partner and forgetting about that whole "Sorry I was trying to eat your children Roman" angle with Bray.

It was the best booked (IMO) in that 1) the ending protected everyone who needed to be protected and 2) you can take the story into a few directions that make sense.  Not that I expect the writing to hold up, but at least they've given themselves the avenues in which to pursue something interesting.

I would have liked more Harper--more Harper is always good--but the match was pretty short, so I can live with it.

It was obvious that they were going to drop the daughter angle early on.  She hasn't been mentioned in a couple of months, likely due to Reigns not wanting his kid to be used anymore and only agreeing to that still photo because it was already out there for public viewing.  In a PG WWE, suggesting that a child will get kidnapped doesn't play anyhow.

A sidenote--Bray's blackbird pants were very cool.

• Like 1

At what point does the talent start to fell unsafe in the ring? This is embarrassing for a company as big as the WWE. I think they need to start training MMA fighters/legit tough guys as refs, and just let them go to town on these idiots. Didn't watch a second of this show, but I thought I'd rant a little anyway. Does the winner of the Rumble challenge Cena for the US title since it's clearly been established he's above the world champ?

How did anyone think it was a good idea for Sting to take a buckle bomb? Can Seth Rollins not go a match without doing that move, and why is a 215lb guy with a chicken shit heel gimmick doing running powerbombs in the first place?

• Like 1

It's up to Sting to know if he can't do something, they could work around his limitations.

I wonder if they switched the finish now due to the injury- Sting was going to continue in any way possible- he probably remembers Rude's last match and would want to put Seth over on the way out.   The ending did seem rushed. 

I'm not going to pin this on Seth or Sting unless there's proof- it's just tragic Sting has his career ended like that.  I wanted to see him win it, it was the reason I re-subbed to the network after about 5 months.

As I said on Twitter - the WWE picked someone who made me actually wish Kane or Randy Orton was the partner. HEY! They both fit all the criteria you mention. In fact even better since both are bigger and it would have made for a more impressive sight with Buckleberry Stonewash

As usual, I was watching on about an hour delay, and someone on Facebook spoiled Jericho's return but not how.  When the Shield guys started coming out, I was like "I wonder who the surprise... oh, Jericho... *underwhelmed sigh*".  Part of me laughed at the logic of getting a former cruiserweight to counteract Brickleberry Shittyshow's massive size and strength.

I was a little disappointed the Shield didn't take Jericho out first.  I feel like they probably would have gotten cheered for that, and to Jericho's credit, he would be able to turn what should be sympathy into a heel moment.  Instead, they put the heat on the part-timer with diminishing returns.

They could clearly use enough force to protect themselves, but it would be very easy for them to exceed that scope and get sued.  Whether the crowd-jumper would be successful or not is an entirely different story, but beating the shit out of the guy easily would have opened themselves and the WWE up to liability.

I was amused at just how nonplussed Ambrose and Reigns were about it all.  They turn around and see some whacko standing there, and they were just like "Eh."