DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

Don't know if this is unpopular opinion or not but to me The Crow (1994 film) is better than the original source material. Much better.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

That looks like a movie I will enjoy. That looks like a John Wick movie. It's violent and it's action packed. It's just not a Crow movie. I equate a Crow movie with a certain ambience. A real dark and cinematic vibe to the cinematography. It's not bright. It's dark. It's wet. It's a rain drenched limited pallet visual. It's goth. This doesn't have any of that. I get that updates for new generations need changes that add to the mythos. But the gothic dark almost black and white nature of the original is the vibe that audiences flocked to and basically THE identity of The Crow.

This looks like a well done fun action flick. But it doesn't feel like it fits in The Crow mythos at all. The dialed back face paint. The tattoos. The soundcloud rapper vibe of Eric Draven's look. They were aiming for Ledger Joker. They got Leto Joker. I expect Skarsgard to elevate it beyond the output we got from Leto. This will be well done. It will probably even be good. But this doesn't feel like The Crow. Ledger still felt like Joker... even if he was a new take on him.

Brandon Lee's appearance was almost ghost like. A methodical gothic ghost out for vengeance against the baddest the streets had to offer. This just looks like a mad Twitch streamer sticking it to corporate America.

• Like 3

The Crow was one of those movies like Tango & Cash where my mom had saw a review on TV or something and was irrationally prejudiced to and considered a no-watch for me. Meanwhile I was renting Texas Chainsaw, but whatever. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Don't know if this is unpopular opinion or not but to me The Crow (1994 film) is better than the original source material. Much better.

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with this take but I love that we both have a version we can like the most. There was just something about the art style of the comics, the dream sequences and all of the time we got to be alone with Eric that just wasn't present in the film. It was pretentious and over the top and moody as all hell exactly perfect for a brooding teenager like I was when I finally got around to reading it.

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 2:47 PM, (BP) said:

That’s going to be a huge date night movie for couples who inhale keyboard cleaner together. 

OY LOIKE HOW BEW'IFULLY BROKEN YEW AH or some such Joker and Harley nonsense.  Oh god fuck this movie.  Eric and Shelley are supposed to be decent people who live in a shit neighborhood, killed at random.  Not whatever all this is.  Honestly, just change the names and make it a continuation of the Crow mythos and it's fine I guess.  But yeah, this looks like shit. 

• Like 3

On 3/14/2024 at 12:53 PM, The Natural said:

Be funny if everybody myself included rank The Crow (2024) low on the 2024 Summer Blockbuster Movies Pool and it surpasses low expectations turning into a ballot buster.

Meant to say that I appreciate the reminder that it's time for me to start thinking about picking movies for this year's contest. 6 months already since the last one ended. It goes so fast.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Meant to say that I appreciate the reminder that it's time for me to start thinking about picking movies for this year's contest. 6 months already since the last one ended. It goes so fast.

Glad to have helped. You're right how quick time flies.

• Like 1

Old Crow (heh) was on TV last night. Boy that's some '90s shit. Top Dollar came across rather well. Wish Berryman had his part in there...

EDIT: I fucked up Michael Berryman's name and deserved to be flogged

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Old Crow (heh) was on TV last night. Boy that's some '90s shit. Top Dollar came across rather well. Wish Berrymore had his part in there...

It's sooooo damn 90s. A few Halloween's ago, we watched it with my two older kids who were early-mid teens. Forgot about the nudity but whatever, a bare titty is less offensive than blood and guts... but yeah, they acted like we'd opened up a time capsule for them - especially when we mentioned that rock music used to be just as near the top of the charts as pop and hip hop. 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:58 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of the music, I was watching the credits roll and forgot Pantera covered Poison Idea there. And, Rollins Band covered "Ghostrider" by Suicide? Weird.

The Crow's soundtrack was one of my favorites of the era. Up there with Lost Highway, Natural Born Killers and Spawn. 

• Like 2