DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I love Empire...and I feel bad for that.

So....Marisa Tomei was just sitting in that chair, turned around the entire time, while the rest of the board just went about their meeting?

This show continues to be great.

Grace Gealy is my new celeb crush. She's like Halle Berry 2.0. And...DAT AZZ!!!

• Like 2

For those of you who missed it last week, AMC now wants to be like the El Rey Network.

Last Friday night was the debut of KUNG FU FRIDAYS~! Kinda misleading since some of the films featured are HK bullet operas, not martial arts movies.

This week's installment features The Man From Nowhere and Let The Bullets Fly.

All of this will lead up to the series premier of INTO THE BADLANDS~!  which premiers in November.

*sigh*

The programmers at AMC look like ignorant whiteys who are equating any Asian movie with "kung fu".

I wonder if they are showing these uncut.  If not, The Man From Nowhere will be heavily chopped.  And it is definitely not a kung fu movie, it's actually Korean and most the action is gunfights. 

Also there is very little kung fu (or action at all) in Let the Bullets Fly.  It's a good movie, but more of a comedy/drama versus an action film.

• Like 1

I love Empire...and I feel bad for that.

So....Marisa Tomei was just sitting in that chair, turned around the entire time, while the rest of the board just went about their meeting?

This show continues to be great.

Grace Gealy is my new celeb crush. She's like Halle Berry 2.0. And...DAT AZZ!!!

I don't know what you're..........ohhhhh

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I usually give a new show at least a couple episodes before making a decision to drop it or not.  Lots of shows have great pilots and go downhill fast, some shows take half a season or more to find their footing.  And most shows do at least some tweaking after the pilot is shown to the network and gets ordered to series.

Rosewood is the exception to that rule.  I want the hour I spent on it back. 

I thought about watching Kayekyo Heroes: Reborn but decided that watching my dog jump in and out of the tub for 35 minutes was better use of time.

Luckily I submitted footage of said dog and tub and now have a full series commitment from NBC

James 

• Like 2

Scream Queens was okay. Nasim Pedrad and Lea Michele were the MVPs for me. There are a lot of performances hitting the exact same note. I don't know if I'll stick around for the season yet.

I thought Emma Roberts was the stand out, personally. I can't say whether she's truly a great actress, but no one else plays the "alpha bitch" role any better. 

Put me down for Glenn Powell's Steve Dallas character as MVP.

A couple of things I really like about SCREAM QUEENS:

1) It is such a shameless, careless, blameless, seamless mixture of music , fashion, and references from three decades (80s, 90s, and 00's) all of which are saturated with memory-stimuli for me and and two of which deserve to live forever.  You'll note there are no references (apart from maybe HALLOWEEN) to any of the super-earnest, super dour 60s and 70s stuff.  It is a nice reminder of the change in tone that started with the new sleek, blackly humorous Reagen-era horror and only got more ironic with each step from there.  It really is a kind of culmination of the trends of the last 30 years by turning everything from SQUARE PEGS to PITCH PERFECT into one giant super-era of shallow consumerism and increasingly bizarre fashion all bookended by two iterations of BLOOM COUNTY commentary.  Which is kind of how I think distant historians will see it too.  I know that this is hardly new to Ryan Murphy, but I never watched GLEE so it's new enough to me. 

This relates to...

2) There is a kind of show/movie world I am drawn to in which every character has a cold-blooded and oblivious lack of self-awareness and fear.  HEATHERS had that back then and so did FERRIS BUELLER. So does VEEP now.  No one is fazed by anything and everyone lives behind such a wall of denial that they are freed to be completely detached from everything.  They are also stupid in a way that has no consequences for them because everyone else in this world is exactly the same as them, all the way from the Dean down to the security guards.  Even the prospect of death itself is hardly something worthy of an eye-roll and a sigh.  It's like the superego run totally amok where every single person is a kind of idiot-savant of being terrible and perfect, super uptight and controlled but also totally unhinged, all at the same time.

I don't know how to explain it, but I get a kind of fantasy wish-fulfillment rush out of imagining being like that.  I get so pulled into it.  It's weirdly comforting to imagine that one can be so in tune with a world of black humor and total narcissism/nihilism that you are sort of invincible.  Even if you are burned in oil or run over with a lawnmower, it's all just the price you pay for being fabulous. 

I can't be the only one?

For those of you who missed it last week, AMC now wants to be like the El Rey Network.

Last Friday night was the debut of KUNG FU FRIDAYS~! Kinda misleading since some of the films featured are HK bullet operas, not martial arts movies.

This week's installment features The Man From Nowhere and Let The Bullets Fly.

All of this will lead up to the series premier of INTO THE BADLANDS~!  which premiers in November.

*sigh*

The programmers at AMC look like ignorant whiteys who are equating any Asian movie with "kung fu".

I wonder if they are showing these uncut.  If not, The Man From Nowhere will be heavily chopped.  And it is definitely not a kung fu movie, it's actually Korean and most the action is gunfights. 

Also there is very little kung fu (or action at all) in Let the Bullets Fly.  It's a good movie, but more of a comedy/drama versus an action film.

I wouldn't hold your breath; Blazing Saddles is unwatchable on that network, due to all the bleeping of the racial slurs. For that movie, its sort of a requisite to enjoy it. . . .

I don't know if anyone's already posted this but this looks TOTALLY INSANE. Of course J.T. would be on top of it first. 

Aside from AMC's Kung Fu Fridays being totally devoid of Kung Fu this week, I am totally down with the schedule leading to the premier of  INTO THE MOTHER FUCKING BADLANDS~!!

That dude's back tattoos are the best back tattoos in the history of ink.

• Like 1

Has anyone here seen the season premiere of How to Get Away with Murder? I thought that was an A+ effort in shark jumping.

I am not allowed to watch that show without my significant other, so I will have to binge watch three episodes once I am off graveyard shift working this US Army training op.

Watched the pilot of Scream Queens. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's not really My Thing. Not surprised that the man who gave us evil rich gay kid Sebastian Smythe created douchey frat boy Chad Radwell.  I'll probably watch ep 2, but after the season gets into full swing I doubt it'll stay on my playlist as I try to keep up with Doctor Who, Flash, Arrow, iZombie and (if it improves) Minority Report.

Honestly, the interviews with cast and creator that have been running constantly on Comcast's OnDemand channel are doing a lot more to sell me on the show than the first two hours did.  I was underwhelmed by the first two eps, but it was good enough that I'll give it a few weeks.

Watched the Player.  It was.... completely average, I guess. The pilot was fairly entertaining, but this really feels like the sort of show that isn't going to go anywhere creatively and will quietly wrap up its season early and disappear.  It'll be a surprise if the main character doesn't eventually try to take down the cabal of rich people who run the game, and the pilot really overplayed how advances the game's technology is.  Maybe the game is run by aliens or people from the future?  I dunno.  That's about as plausible as some of the stuff that they did in the pilot/

My cable switched out what was a Comcast Sports channel that ran random shitty sports to a local syndicated TV channel but it's got Svengoolie on and they ran Son of Frankenstein which I don't think I've seen before.  When I saw it had Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff and Bela Legosi I had to check it out.  It was need to watch it and see some of the things from Young Frankenstein in it (mostly, the wooden armed police chief and the whole dart throwing scene while being questioned.).  

also:  found this on Svengoolie's site.

14077970431_e14e1f3e0f_o.jpg

The commercials ABC has been running lately ("Grey's Academy"/"How To Get Away With Treason") make the show look like a primetime soap.  They don't really give viewers a good idea what the show is about, and are out of whack tonally with the initial teasers and presentation to the tv critics.

I agree with Jamal.  The Quantico pilot was very good and the wife and I are almost hooked already.  We're probably all in for the season.

The season premiere of Last Man on Earth was great. The first ten minutes had me rolling.

Edit: And speaking of great season premieres, Once Upon A Time was fucking balls out awesome. I love that this show has rebounded back. The first season was so good, and then it kinda went downhill. Last season they shoehorned in Frozen to get people interested again, then went super dark after they got done with it. (The Cruella DeVil origin episode was super fucked up). And the premiere here again was great TV.

Great. From the lack of posts here today I guess I'm the only dope who hate-watched "Heroes:Reborn" last night. 

I watched it last night since the Pirates game was rained out.  It was alright, I suppose.  Definitely better than a few other shows I've watched in the past week or so, but nothing exceptional.  Cast is lacking in star power even compared to the original series.  The pilot was fairly by-the-numbers if you've read/seen X-Men or anything similar.

I'll give it a couple episodes, but I'm not expecting to still be watching in late October.

Great. From the lack of posts here today I guess I'm the only dope who hate-watched "Heroes:Reborn" last night. 

I watched it last night since the Pirates game was rained out.  It was alright, I suppose.  Definitely better than a few other shows I've watched in the past week or so, but nothing exceptional.  Cast is lacking in star power even compared to the original series.  The pilot was fairly by-the-numbers if you've read/seen X-Men or anything similar.

I'll give it a couple episodes, but I'm not expecting to still be watching in late October.

This goes back to a conversation I had with a friend a few weeks back, but am I the only one who watches shows I don't really like more than the shows I really do like?  The first run of Heroes is the worst show I've watched every episode of, and I'm sure I'm going to continue with this bullshit.  I still haven't finished Deadwood, it took me forever to even start Breaking Bad, and I've only watched the first season of Mad Men.  I like all of those shows better than Heroes, Entourage, or Gotham, but somehow my free time is spent watching that shit.  I've watched every episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.D. and am still playing catch up on Arrow and Flash.  I'm an idiot.