DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

So now that Justin Lin is finished with the Fast & Furious franchise, could we please get a director for part 7 who is obsessed with the car chases in Bullitt/The French Connection/The Seven Ups and get one car chase that is an homage to those films in part 7 where the entire car chase features traditional stunt work, lots of shots taken from cameras mounted to the front bumper and hood, no background "music" save for the high-pitched revving of the engines as they shift gears, and absolutely no CGI at all?

Worse than Olympus Has Fallen with its seemingly gleeful depictions of innocent civilians getting slaughtered?

Olympus Has Fallen was just outright violent. White House Down is downright hokey and corny with the awful dialogue and terrible stuntmen. Eckhart didn't come off as presidential, but Jamie Foxx came off as your average third place finisher mayoral candidate with how terrible the script was. It didn't feel like a movie that cost $150 million. Everytime they had news coverage or a presidential press conference thing on television, it came off as really cheap. They couldn't spring for some realistic looking television graphics? No one speaks how people were speaking in this film. 

Also, James Wan (Saw franchise, Insidious) is the new Fast & Furious director.

IIRC, Wan only directed the first Saw film.  Which is fairly distinct stylisitically (or at least it was before it became a hit.

Seems like there's always a comedy that comes out of nowhere and RAKES. Off the top of my head I'm thinking The Hangover which had an incredible word of mouth going for it and probably something else with Sandra Bullock.

Ted last year did absurd business, owing at least in part to being brilliantly shifted up the schedule when G.I. Joe bailed on 2012.

Japanese remake of UNFORGIVEN, starring Ken Watanabe:

How do I embed now?

Like this.

I'm looking forward this. My only concern is Koichi Sato's Little Bill. To me Gene Hackman as Little Bill really makes Unforgiven the classic it is today.

Holy Shit.  I am looking forward to this fall far more than I was for this summer.  Oldboy look tremendous, but even if Josh Brolin spits gold dust, there is no way that Oldboy will get any sort of Academy Award because they fucking hate poor Spike.  Or maybe Oldboy will be so good that there will be no denying it its proper due?

BC is going to chew scenery in The Fifth Estate and is going to be marvelous.

Unforgiven is a Japanese remake of an American movie.  I cannot wait for weeaboo tears to salt the internet.

Apparently, they just started a shooting a film starring Jeremy Renner called Kill the Messenger (adapted from a book of the same name). Michael K. Williams will play Freeway Rick Ross. Yeah, I'm up for this.

Man, Kill the Messenger will make a great movie. I only know about the story from the American Gangster episode about Ross and now I have to find the book. Renner and Williams? There's no way these two and that plot cannot turn out an incredible flick. 

Oh Dear Lord, is the new trend to make movies that will make me cry one minute and set fire to a theater seat the next?

There is no way I'll be able to watch this film without going berserk.