DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

One of the best things about the old board going Boom was the death of the mind-numbing 'Will Smith is a bad actor' trolling that no one could resist.

Anyway two possible Oscar contenders:

Lovelace:

Oldboy (Red Band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gpi44y4TU

At some point I might give the original Oldboy another try because the first time I watched it, it was one of those films you watch which is heavily praised and you are in the minority who doesn't rate it.

A few hours from now next Friday, I'll hopefully be seeing The World End.

I was just coming to start a similiar thread... and test the boundaries of how many youtube clips I can embed

There is also a How To Train Your Dragon 2 teaser out but it seems to be only on Dailymotion right now

I actually like that Oldboy trailer and think it'll be a pretty good movie. Based on the trailer Brolin is 100% perfect casting for the character. His "Where the fuck is the phone?" line was great. 

At some point I might give the original Oldboy another try because the first time I watched it, it was one of those films you watch which is heavily praised and you are in the minority who doesn't rate it.

A few hours from now next Friday, I'll hopefully be seeing The World End.

I hope you're talking about the movie, because if you have other inside information, you should share it with the rest of us so we can reinforce our doomsday bunkers!

• Like 2

The Oldboy trailer is better than I would have imagined.  Still, I'm not entirely sold on a remake.  The original was good enough for me.

The Original is one of my favorite movies, so yeah, I don't need a remake either. But I am interested in Spike Lee and Brolin doing their take on it, whether it's great or shitty. It just seems like a peculiar experiment worth seeing.

Something I don't understand is why they don't remake old movies that could actually use some remaking because of constraints on the original. For example movies that got their balls cut off by the Hays Code, or budget constraints, or a shitty director. Kind of like how they remade The Postman Always Rings Twice and amp'd up the sex(I actually still like the original better). I think a good example would be FREAKS.

I bet if they remade Battlefield Earth more people would go see it than the original.

I hope you're talking about the movie, because if you have other inside information, you should share it with the rest of us so we can reinforce our doomsday bunkers!

Well played. Run out of likes but will like it when I have them back. Happy to confirm to everyone it's the movie.

Holy cow that Out of the Furnace cast... I thought it was awesome and then Sam Shephard showed up and made it awesomer.

I've always contended that Hollywood is missing out on a goldmine by not re-making B-movie with today's A-list budgets.  They could go to town on a lot of the old film noirs.

I KNOW. The Fly is a great example of taking an old B movie and doing it up right. And there's plenty of noir's that had to change a lot of key elements because of the Code that could be done up. Maybe it's too niche now. 

BTW, this is, by far, my favourite trailer of the yearhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0c0v-stK0

I almost don't want to see the film 'cuz the trailer is so perfect: Southern, slow-paced, Casey Affleck, Terrence Malick-influence out the whazoo. 

Something I don't understand is why they don't remake old movies that could actually use some remaking because of constraints on the original. For example movies that got their balls cut off by the Hays Code, or budget constraints, or a shitty director. Kind of like how they remade The Postman Always Rings Twice and amp'd up the sex(I actually still like the original better). I think a good example would be FREAKS.

Because they were fine the way they were. I'm not sure what a modern remake of Freaks would bring to the table that the original didn't possess.

Also, what shitty directors are you referring to? Isn't this also a problem in this day and age? I don't really understand what point you're making.

Because they were fine the way they were. I'm not sure what a modern remake of Freaks would bring to the table that the original didn't possess.

Also, what shitty directors are you referring to? Isn't this also a problem in this day and age? I don't really understand what point you're making.

I'm saying if you're going to remake movies, remake ones that could actually be improved on. Freaks has a lot of problems in the last act because censorship. Actually that's the case for a lot of movies, where they have to soft shoe around issues or create a nice happy ending that comes from left field. 

Peyton Place is another example. It was based on a book and eliminated A TON of controversial shit. It was still loved by critics, but it would be a more interesting choice for a remake than another Anna Kareninananana(I actually really want to see the new one).

I actually like the idea of remakes. What if Terrance Mallick remade Edwards Scissorshands? I'd watch that. Who wouldn't? I just think they're not being creative enough with their remakes. Spike Lee/Brolin doing Oldboy is the first remake team I've heard in a long time that got me interested in what they could do. I say remake everything. If anything people will just learn to appreciate the good stuff even more.

Having just watched the movie and listening to the audio book, I think a remake a Catch 22 would be a good idea. NIchols says during the commentary that the jumping timeline was not a great idea.

Similarly, people see jazzed for Charlie Kaufman writing a new Slaughterhouse Five screenplay.

I've always been unclear on why the formula is "Take a good movie, hire a hip new (read: shitty) director, cast it with stars, watch it fail".  I don't know why it isn't "Take movies that failed, fix what's wrong with them by rewriting/better directing/better cast, then watch it fail".  

For instance, I think you could actually make a pretty scary film out of 'Manos: The Hands of Fate" by getting a better director, actual actors, eliminating the giant knees, paring down the women fighting in their underwear, oh and changing that title (Hands: The Hands of Fate, what the hell is that?!).  It's much better/more interesting than "Hey, this movie was really beloved by and all and got good reviews and box office, let's make an inferior version of said film!"

I'm saying if you're going to remake movies, remake ones that could actually be improved on. Freaks has a lot of problems in the last act because censorship. Actually that's the case for a lot of movies, where they have to soft shoe around issues or create a nice happy ending that comes from left field. 

The ending was just added by the studio, though. That's still not a reason to remake it.

For the record, I'm not against remakes either - one of my favourite films, The Thing, is a remake. I just massively disagree with "It was made during the Hays Code era so let's remake it with added sex and violence" theory.

The ending was just added by the studio, though. That's still not a reason to remake it.

For the record, I'm not against remakes either - one of my favourite films, The Thing, is a remake. I just massively disagree with "It was made during the Hays Code era so let's remake it with added sex and violence" theory.

I'm not saying every movie that was made then needs to be remade, I'm just saying it's a more interesting time to mine stories to remake, as opposed to looking at SuperHero movies and great foreign films.

And it's not really about sex/violence either. It's about adding more moral ambiguity to characters. Or refilming a film with modern technology to create a possibly more beautiful work. 

Of course all of these ideas would just be boiled down to sex/violence/3D.

• Like 1

The Hays Code covered 38 years and obviously, there are a lot of good movies from that time that shouldn't be touched (Double Indemnity comes to mind).  I think Jae was just saying that there lots of films that could be improved upon, regardless of their original release year.  I think The Cell could be a legit creepy psycho-thriller in the right hands and it came out in 2000.