DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If Snuka takes a deal or is convicted does Vince get some fallout for this due to how Vince originally got Snuka out of trouble for this crime

99% of the world thinks Vince is a scumbag all this does is confirm it a little more.

I'm be surprised if most people have any idea who Vince is.

I'm sure the legal system does. And I guess I worded my question wrong. Could Vince see charges because of how he hindered prosecution by instructing Snuka to act like he didn't understand English and was really a wildman? Also how screwed is Tamina?

It seems unlikely to me.  My first thought is: was the interview taped?  Does footage still exist?  If not, you'd have to rely on eyewitness testimony and getting people to testify absolutely to things that were said and done 30+ years ago is going to be dicey.  Even if footage does exist, what does it prove?  I doubt Vince was in the interview room saying "Psssttt.  Jimmy.  Act like you're an ignorant savage who doesn't understand what's going on and I'll help you make that murder you committed go away."  You'd probably need eyewitness testimony to prove Vince conspired with Snuka to mislead police, probably from the co-conspirators.  And, again, you have the same problem that a 70+ year-old would be testifying about conversations that took place 30 years ago.  It probably wouldn't be hard to shake that.  Or to spin it that Snuka is perjuring himself to avenge an old grudge or get a deal from prosecutors.  Testimony from collaborators can be dicey since they often have incentive to lie or are only testifying because the prosecution offered them a deal.

Beyond that, I wonder how much cooperation you'd get from the cops on the case (at the time).  Are they even still alive?  Remember the case?  If they do, they might not want to help prosecute Vince.  The idea that a case against Snuka was never pursued because the cops basically confused him with his on-screen character is nuts.  I kinda feel like you'd have to be an idiot to believe that Snuka was some sort of idiot savage who didn't understand the ways of the civilized world.  I've always felt that, if Vince did influence the investigation, it was more a case of bribes or favors being done.  I'd imagine the name of Vince Sr. carried some weight in 1982, if Vince Jr. didn't have the juice himself. 

If the cops really did think Snuka was an ignorant savage.... wow!  I know kayfabe was still alive in 1982 but so were background checks.  I assume Snuka had a social security number, maybe a record of school attendance, driver's license, tax records, etc.  You'd have to be willfully idiotic to check his background and conclude he was some sort of simpleton from another country.

Finally, what's the upside.  Short of a smoking gun, a prosecutor has a shaky case against Vince for... obstruction of justice?  Witness tampering?  There may not be enough there for a prosecutor to want to charge, especially since the defendant runs a publicly traded company and is the husband of a political figure. 

I don't see a lot of upside.  Maybe Vince gets unlucky and a crusader takes up the cause and gets it through, but....

When exactly was Paul Heyman the head writer on SmackDown? All the way through the end of 2004?

Two thoughts:

-At the time, I assumed things would be so much better for Van Dam once they got him away from the old timers on Raw. Not so much. How did that happen?

-Has anyone in WWE booked Big Show better than Heyman did? Between SmackDown from 2002 to 2004 to his ECW run in 2006, how has everyone else done such an impressive job making a once-in-a-lifetime talent feel like just another guy?

How in the happy hell does the prosecution miss an autopsy report? That's like someone not noticing the car only has three tires on. "I thought it was riding a little funny ... "

I would think it's hard to miss an autopsy report that bolsters the police's theory of the crime.  I'm thinking it wasn't missed so much as "deliberately buried."

When exactly was Paul Heyman the head writer on SmackDown? All the way through the end of 2004?

Two thoughts:

-At the time, I assumed things would be so much better for Van Dam once they got him away from the old timers on Raw. Not so much. How did that happen?

-Has anyone in WWE booked Big Show better than Heyman did? Between SmackDown from 2002 to 2004 to his ECW run in 2006, how has everyone else done such an impressive job making a once-in-a-lifetime talent feel like just another guy?

I was such a huge fan of "The Extreme Giant" Big Show! I'm glad I'm not the only one. The dude was busting his ass, and felt, as you said, like a once-in-a-lifetime talent. I think part of it is overexposure, too, because he was so hot when he came back for the Mayweather angle after being away. A guy like Show just does not need to be on free TV twice a week. He should be in that Brock/Taker echelon of guys where it's a huge deal when he's around. Giants should, and always have, had mystique. When you have him sumo wrestling Akebono, running around as baby new year, doing "the Showster" and "Showkishi", shitting his pants because of bad mexican food or whatever, having Val Venis pecker check him and ask why they call him the Big Show, and all the other absolutely mind boggling shit theyve made him do over the last 20 years, it's a miracle he was able to bounce back from it AT ALL. I think with the proper retirement angle, followed up by him murdering everyone upon his return, and an improved look, Show has one more serious run on top in him.

• Like 3

I'm fairly certain that unless they could get Vince on accessory after the fact, anything else, like obstruction of justice, would be well past the timeframe he could have been charged. I'm not sure if accessory after the fact has a limitation or not.

Been stewing over it and I've got nothing: All-time best four ways?

Sasha v Becky v Bayley v Charlotte has to be the best in recent years. Sasha finally got the big title win over Charlotte, and this was Becky and Bayley's best performances in NXT up to that point.

Two thoughts:

I was such a huge fan of "The Extreme Giant" Big Show! I'm glad I'm not the only one. The dude was busting his ass, and felt, as you said, like a once-in-a-lifetime talent. I think part of it is overexposure, too, because he was so hot when he came back for the Mayweather angle after being away. A guy like Show just does not need to be on free TV twice a week. He should be in that Brock/Taker echelon of guys where it's a huge deal when he's around. Giants should, and always have, had mystique. When you have him sumo wrestling Akebono, running around as baby new year, doing "the Showster" and "Showkishi", shitting his pants because of bad mexican food or whatever, having Val Venis pecker check him and ask why they call him the Big Show, and all the other absolutely mind boggling shit theyve made him do over the last 20 years, it's a miracle he was able to bounce back from it AT ALL. I think with the proper retirement angle, followed up by him murdering everyone upon his return, and an improved look, Show has one more serious run on top in him.

I am not sure what happened with Big Show. Perhaps Show is the only big man who is willing to do that stuff? There is no way in HELL Vince or anyone would even approach Taker with a 'shitting his pants' gimmick. Sure Lesnar is on a tear now, but don't forget he was once on Smackdown dancing in a sombero. At the end of the day I think it really comes down to how much of a mark these guys are for themselves. Also, we cannot ignore the fact that very few guys (Big Show, Lesnar, Goldberg, etc.) can be protrayed as fools one week and then taken completely serious the next week. These guys have the kick ass aura.

Big Show's ECW run was awesome and I loved it. As the guy is slowing down and nearing the end of his career, he should definitely be Brock Lesnar lite at this point. Only showing up for big matches and murdering guys. Big Show randomly coming down one Smackdown and punching everyone out in the ring and then leaving for 1 month would be awesome. Follow it up with a Squash on some random WWE Network special where Show chokeslams someone like Dallas through three tables and it wouldn't be hard to re-establish the mystique. Less should really be more with this guy as no one is clamoring for a weekly Big show match/appearance.

While I am fantasy booking Big Show's last run in WWE- who is his last match against? Personally I would give it to Sami Zayn. Big Show would have to go on a tear for over a year (again Brock Lesnar- lite), destory one (or more of Sami's friends), and in an "Andre Ripping Off Hogan's Cross" moment, Zayn finall decides to end this once and for all and challenges Show. At Mania- Zayn finally stops Big Show's reign of terror in a [insert object here] vs. retirement match. The FIP shit from Sami during the match would be off-the-charts. I honestly can't think of anyone else who would make me give a shit (at this point) about a Big Show farewell match.

The version of the Dan Maff story posted is wrong. Nothing to do with anyone underage, just someone close to Homicide. There's more to it than that but it's not my story to tell.

Well aren't you a special flower.

Yeah the 'I know, but I'm not telling' stuff is for middle-school girls and belongs on the playground. That shit is whack. Either speak up or shut up! And that isn't just directed at you mate- I have always had that opinion when it comes to this stuff. Playing the abstract insider gimmick on a wrestling board is the worse.

• Like 1

The version of the Dan Maff story posted is wrong. Nothing to do with anyone underage, just someone close to Homicide. There's more to it than that but it's not my story to tell.

Yeah the 'I know, but I'm not telling' stuff is for middle-school girls and belongs on the playground. That shit is whack. Either speak up or shut up! And that isn't just directed at you mate- I have always had that opinion when it comes to this stuff. Playing the abstract insider gimmick on a wrestling board is the worse.

Did the dirtsheets say that?

For everyone else, I do know why Cibernetico gets so mad about this, but I'm not gonna tell you.

• Like 2

Pretty sure Maff slept with an underage Stephanie. At least that's the rumour I heard.

You're thinking of Kerry Von Erich, the second Ultimate Warrior.

Or was that Yokozuna before he joined the Hart Foundation? I can't remember.

It was Brian Pillman before he faked his death and was revealed as the Higher Power.
  • Like 1

Pretty sure Maff slept with an underage Stephanie. At least that's the rumour I heard.

Damn it, that was *my* story to tell!

I hate that he stopped going by "Dan Mafia." I heard that reps from the real Mafia threatened to cut his thumbs off with garden shears. But that's not my story to tell.

I hate that he stopped going by "Dan Mafia." I heard that reps from the real Mafia threatened to cut his thumbs off with garden shears. But that's not my story to tell.

I thought that was that one XPW guy

I thought that was that one XPW guy

Well, it was supposed to be Maff, but the guy who took the contract on Maff was hard of hearing. The story goes, he heard "... wrestler goes by Dan Mafia ..." as "... wrestler goes by the Messiah ..." They went to a couple of churches until they went on Wikipedia and realized what they were doing wrong.

• Like 2