DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I enjoyed Brock Lesnar's first time in the WWE with the SummerSlam 2002 match against The Rock, the bloody Hell in a Cell match with The Undertaker at No Mercy 2002 which remains one of the best matches either man has ever had and against Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004.

However I've enjoyed Brock Lesnar return to the WWE more with two of the most unique matches in the history of the company against John Cena at Extreme Rules 2012/SummerSlam 2014, a legitmate historic moment ending The Undertaker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania XXX and two of the best Triple Threat matches I've ever seen against John Cena and Seth Rollins at this year's Royal Rumble and at WrestleMania XXXI with Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins. Brock Lesnar has a unique aura around him, a shit's going down vibe in the ring and angles like the pull apart brawls with John Cena and The Undertaker. The worst thing to come out of Brock's return to the WWE is the match he had with Triple H at WrestleMania XXIX. Awful.

• Like 1

While the physical phenomenon of Brock is something to marvel at; dudes a genetic freak of nature. But Brock isn't the only one who should get the plaudits here.

Heyman as his advocate has been a masterstroke. A simple thing to play to Brocks advantages - he knows (and so do we) that Brocks not the best on the stick. He doesnt have to be; look at the fucker.

So pairing him with a one man hype band is perfect. Plus you have the whole "heyman used as bait for an angry face" angle.

Heyman, when he sticks to the wrestling promotion side of things, is midas.

Heyman, when he goes into the behind the scenes business side of things, is sadim.

While the physical phenomenon of Brock is something to marvel at; dudes a genetic freak of nature. But Brock isn't the only one who should get the plaudits here.

Heyman as his advocate has been a masterstroke. A simple thing to play to Brocks advantages - he knows (and so do we) that Brocks not the best on the stick. He doesnt have to be; look at the fucker.

So pairing him with a one man hype band is perfect. Plus you have the whole "heyman used as bait for an angry face" angle.

Heyman, when he sticks to the wrestling promotion side of things, is midas.

Heyman, when he goes into the behind the scenes business side of things, is sadim.

Yeah, I should have mentioned Paul Heyman as part of the Brock Lesnar package. Perfect pairing. A lot of memorable Paul Heyman promos in that time but the one that most stands out is the post WrestleMania XXX RAW one:

Shameful it isn't included on the DVD version of Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman.

Been stewing over it and I've got nothing: All-time best four ways?

i mean there's the Toryumon 4 way elimination trios tag but that is only barely what you're talking about

I really liked JBL/Taker/Eddie/Booker and I remember liking Booker/Lashley/Batista/Finlay, but I can't say I've seen them recently. Those are the ones that leap to mind.

Last night I was going through Brian Myers's "Making the Town" series on Youtube and noticed Dan Maff on one of the cards. Now I was a member of the CZWFans board before I came here, so I'm sketchy about the credibility of this:

There was a rumour back then that Maff did something or was accused of doing something pretty bad and was threatened by Homicide to leave the business permanently.

Last night I was going through Brian Myers's "Making the Town" series on Youtube and noticed Dan Maff on one of the cards. Now I was a member of the CZWFans board before I came here, so I'm sketchy about the credibility of this:

There was a rumour back then that Maff did something or was accused of doing something pretty bad and was threatened by Homicide to leave the business permanently.

Homicide claims Maff slept with his sister, who was supposedly underage at the time.  Matt retired "permanently" because 'Cide was supposedly trying to blackball him (Homicide was the bigger name, obviously, and was refusing to work for any promotion that booked Maff).

The retirement lasted six months.  Carnys gotta carn.  By the end of the year, Maff was working in Puerto Rico.   Past 5 years or so, Maff has worked a decent amount on the East Coast.  He was a regular in JAPW until they closed down for good.  Also works PWS a fair bit.  I assume he made peace with Homicide, as they both worked JAPW after the blowup.

Maff's still active, btw.  He's worked most weekends in 2015.

• Like 1

Of all the matches that could happen and should happen, I badly want to see Brock vs. Cesaro. Watching him block the swinging DDT from Owens, this literally came to my mind from nowhere. One minute, the kid's working her way thru her spelling words, then suddenly, "Goddamn, dude needs to be in the ring with Lesnar!"*

*My kid didn't say this, btw.

• Like 3

Be alot cooler if he did. I was certain this time last year when Brock was champ and Cesaro was a Heymen guy they were gonna do some sort of deception angle where Cesaro faced Brock for the title on some B PPV.

• Like 1

It appears Snuka will be charged with third-degree murder ...

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-jimmy-snuka-grand-jury-announcement-20150901-story.html

He's 72, and has cancer. Really hard to believe that he'll get prison time. 

That might be why he would take a deal. Snuka probably does not have the health coverage for extensive cancer treatment. Go to prison, that will be covered. It wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened.

As for Dan Maff, hes been doing some good stuff in PWS. He had a really fun triple threat against Mario Bokara and Fallah Bahh. Apparently he's a fire fighter for his regular job and PWS made note of him rescuing someone from a huge fire a few months ago. I guess they stopped doing their show Ch. 10 here in NYC. My DVR stopped recording it and the shows they've been putting up on youtube were rehashes of ones that aired.