DVDVR Message Board

UFC 191: Johnson vs. Dodson II (9/5/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_191_Johnson_vs._Dodson_2_Poster.jpg?

UFC 191: Johnson vs. Dodson II
September 5, 2015
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (124.5) vs. John Dodson (125) (seventh defense) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
Andrei Arlovski (237.5) vs. Frank Mir (266) - Arlovski, DEC (unanimous)
Anthony Johnson (205) vs. Jimi Manuwa (204) - Johnson, KO (punches), R2 (0:28)
Jan Błachowicz (205) vs. Corey Anderson (205) - Anderson, DEC (unanimous)
Paige VanZant (116) vs. Alex Chambers (115) - VanZant, SUB (armbar), R3 (1:01)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Ross Pearson (155.5) vs. Paul Felder (155.5) - Pearson, DEC (split)
Francisco Rivera (136) vs. John Lineker (135.5) - Lineker, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:08)
Jessica Andrade (134.5) vs. Raquel Pennington (136) - Pennington, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:58)
Clay Collard (146) vs. Tiago dos Santos (145) - Dos Santos, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Joe Riggs (185.5)* vs. Ronald Stallings (184) - Riggs, DQ (illegal upkick), R2 (2:28)
Joaquim Silva (154.5) vs. Nazareno Malegarie (156) - Silva, DEC (split)

*Reweighed after weighing 187.5 on first attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Raquel Pennington
Performance of the Night: Anthony Johnson
Fight of the Night: Francisco Rivera vs. John Lineker

Attendance: 10,873
Gate: $1.367 million
Buyrate: 115,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Anthony Johnson vs. Jan Błachowicz - Bout Nixed
Andre Fili vs. Clay Collard - Injury to Fili
Liz Carmouche vs. Raquel Pennington - Injury to Carmouche

• Like 1

I'm not into the Flyweight division not because of the fighters size. This is coming from someone who's a fan of the lower weight classes, Featherweight and Bantamweight thanks to the WEC and UFC bringing those weight classes over. I preferred the men's weight classes the way they were: Heavyweight, Light Heavyweight, Middleweight, Welterweight, Lightweight, Featherweight and Bantamweight. I really like women's MMA thanks to the UFC and Strikeforce so no issue here. I'm more interested in Arlovski vs. Mir, Johnson vs. Manuwa and the women's MMA than the main event.

Matt Hume is so great. I remember back in the PRIDE days, he'd occasionally do guest colour commentary and you could just tell the man is an MMA genius. Johnson's perhaps only flaw is a lack of real KO power, but who needs a knock out when you're that dominating at everything else.

His frame is pretty small, do you think it would be wise for him to move up? 

Matt Hume is so great. I remember back in the PRIDE days, he'd occasionally do guest colour commentary and you could just tell the man is an MMA genius. Johnson's perhaps only flaw is a lack of real KO power, but who needs a knock out when you're that dominating at everything else.

Conor McGregor @TheNotoriousMMA 12m12 minutes ago

Demetrius and Hume are two of the all time great coach and fighter teams there has ever been in this sport.

Well, he's not wrong. :)

His frame is pretty small, do you think it would be wise for him to move up?

Bantamweight is still pretty thin though. How many guys are really going to provide a challenge for him? I don't think "Yeah, I'm just gonna see if I can take him down and lay on him" is going to work at this juncture. Faber is getting up there, and he kinda fights to his detriment. Garbrandt, Almeida, and Sterling still need a ton of seasoning just like Cejudo at 125. Lineker is probably going to be fighting in and around the lower top 10 - 15 range. He would eat Caraway and McDonald up for lunch. Barao is going to featherweight. I think he beats Assuncao and Eduardo soundly. That's basically everyone except for Dillashaw and Cruz. He clearly deserves to be fighting at that level because no one has anything for him at flyweight.

I was thinking he'd be at a huge reach disadvantage and while ~4" against the top guys isn't something to disregard entirely, Dodson had 2" on him and it didn't matter. At all. Maybe he could make it work.

Edit: Poor Andrei, looks like he shouldn't be left alone right now. I don't think I've ever seen a winner look so morose.

Edited by Oyaji

I was thinking he'd be at a huge reach disadvantage and while ~4" against the top guys isn't something to disregard entirely, Dodson had 2" on him and it didn't matter. At all. Maybe he could make it work.

Against Dom Cruz, it might be a factor. Dillashaw might try to mix up, which probably wouldn't be wise with Johnson. Then again, that's Dillashaw's "style" now. I think Dillashaw is a good striker, but I don't think his last 3 fights are indicative of what he truly is capable of. If Dillashaw fights Cruz, then we definitely will see where Dillashaw has grown and where he hasn't.

Against everyone else? Yeah, I don't see that being a factor.

It's weird watching John Dodson regress as a fighter. I don't know if it is the last injury, but he can't create his own offense anymore. Out of the last eight rounds he has fought, I may have gave him ONE round. He doesn't chain anything together. Anything he landed tonight was basically because DJ gave him that opportunity. Then, Dodson did nothing with them. It's just sad.