DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

And in all likelihood, Dana Brooke is second down the food chain after Evil Emma. So yay.

Like I said before, from a story standpoint Bailey-Dana Brooke writes itself. But there's no way it lives up to current standards

You don't have faith in the Eva Marie title chase being able to deliver **** matches?

I kept trying to convince myself Sasha was going to win and stay in NXT forever, and there were a few times I thought it could happen. The top rope reverse rana was one of the biggest holy shit moments of the year, and led to a perfect finish after they had already teased of couple of finishes that would've been perfect. Sasha is a freak of nature bumper at this point. I've been commenting on it since the 4 way I think, but nobody makes their opponents stuff look better than Sasha right now.

And in all likelihood, Dana Brooke is second down the food chain after Evil Emma. So yay.

Like I said before, from a story standpoint Bailey-Dana Brooke writes itself. But there's no way it lives up to current standards

You don't have faith in the Eva Marie title chase being able to deliver **** matches?

I don't have faith in Eva pronouncing the word "championship" right at this point.

My 8 year old niece started watching wrestling maybe 6 months ago mostly through me watching it when we were babysitting her. She now watches pretty much anything (including TNA. I really must have a word with her about that) but loves NXT way more than the WWE main shows. She likes Balor (even in scary Demon mode. She's kinda a badass), Becky Lynch and, shit, can even do Enzo Amore's schtick word for word (I'm sorry, as wrong as it is, it will never not be hysterical to me hearing a 8 year old Irish girl say I AM A CERTIFIED G AND A BONIFIED STUD. The complete 'the fuck?!' look my non-wrestling watching sister/her mum gave the 1st time she did it in front of her was priceless) but her absolute favourite wrestler by an absolute country mile is Bayley.

She hasn't watched the show yet, it was the most fun I had watching a wrestling show in ages, I'm totally and completely looking forward to watching it again with her. 

Sometimes, wrestling just kicks fucking ass.

• Like 8

My new girlfriend, who never saw a wreslting show in her life, was captivated by womens match. She loved Sasha but sobconciously knew that Bayley deserves to win. If WWE is looking for untaped demographic of women who dosen't regularly watch wrestling, their on the right track. She then left the room after seeing Balors entrance, saying that it's to dumb for her. This one is a keeper.

All in all a great show. I've loved the opener, if only for Liger with the selfie stick. Plus seeing him in WWE ring was awesome, Tag match was nice, with the good showing from the new champions. Main was fine, loved Owens asshole antics. But the match of the night was easily the womens match. Sasha is so above anyone else who came from NXT in terms of star presence and understanding their character, it's fucking scary. Of course my favourite thing of the night was Kana sighting.

I really hope Banks finds time to come down to have a match with her. Kana stiffing Eva and Dana and bullying Bayley are the things I'm looking forward to most in upcoming months.

I can't believe Graves dropped a Dreamfinder reference; he automatically is the bestest. Gotch showcasing his leg gimmick moves was fantastic.

Love Breeze's entrance and his Egyptian themed outfit was amaze-balls.

Bailey epic PPV gear was great. Sasha's entrance was straight-up badass. Wow, is Sasha flexible or what?! She sells like HBK and has the ring presence of Flair.

Corbin surprised me by how well he stood toe-to-toe with Joe, prob Joe's best match in NXT.

Fuck. I can't even talk about Bayley vs Sasha without getting teary eyed. I watched the match with my daughter earlier and I could not stop myself from crying, again. I don't know what it is about that match or Bayley herself, but I get so emotional about it. The curtain call just made me get even weepier. I loved that. Everything was perfect.

Sasha/Bayley is totally my MOTY on re-watch. The structure, execution, and story arcs were all spot-on. The match gets off to a quick start and never really lets up. Bayley in particular really upped the stiffness, and both of them did a good job struggling for some big moves to make them look more important, while hitting new stuff out of nowhere (Sasha's Rey-dive over the ref, Bayley's tree of woe elbow). The hand work segment was brutal and efficient. They basically established that part of the story with about 4 moves and no restholds. The wrap-up to that part of the match with Bayley recklessly shoving Sasha off the ropes was believably desperate and equalizing. Sasha's bumping was in top form and was a perfect match for Bayley's new vicious offense. The finishing run was as heated and great as anything I've seen this year. The Bank Statement sequence was something you'd expect from high-end Bryan match. The way Sasha bumped for the turnbuckle exploder and the B2B's made them look absolutely devastating. The counter to the rana was nasty and the way Bayley stumbled around looking completely out of it right into the double knee made for the second best nearfall of the year (behind Neville overzealously pulling Rollins' feet into the ropes after the red arrow) that I totally bought as the finish. They both continued to struggle for every little thing down the stretch and the avalanche reverse rana into the B2B was a perfect finish.

Also I don't know if it counts towards the match itself, but Sasha's entrance and the curtain call homage post-match both added greatly to the spectacle. It was everything I liked about wrestling.

• Like 1

"Post-kayfabe world": quote of the thread lol. If something doesn't have internal logic then it begins to fall down, you can't go breaking the 4th wall and not expect it to have an impact on how seriously your characters and story-lines are taken.

Totally fine with it. It played into the story before the match and in the preview. Charlotte ahead of time have Bayley a hug and Becky gave Bayley a respect handshake. That is a perfect way to capture those relationships. Bayley's whole thin has ways been about gaining respect from her peers -- she lacks the confidence they do. Sasha's character is that she has this bling girl routine to cover up how at her core she is a dork with the same insecurities Bayley has. She plays this in the ring and the announcers even touched on it a bit.

And from a meta POV, everyone there and watching knows about the 4 Horsewomen.

As someone who doesn't follow NXT weekly, all I had to go on was the preview video: in which Bailey was beaten by Charlotte, cheap shot by the irish lass and battered by Sasha. None of what you mention regarding Sasha Bankes has been shown on Raw or on this Takeover show, either in the match or in the promo video. The only 4 horsewomen I've seen mentioned on WWE programming has been Rousey's crew at Wrestlemania. Maybe all of what you mentioned was there, but then again you do have a tendency to force square pegs through round holes a lot of the time.

• Like 1

With the exception of Daniel Bryan's run to Wrestlemania 30, I'm as invested in Bayley as I've been any wrestler including when I was watching as a kid in the pre-Hogan era.  I typically avoid NXT spoilers, but when Takeover Brooklyn was announced I wanted to get a lineup as soon as I could and when I saw Bayley was going to get the title match, I went straight to StubHub and paid so much more than I should have for a great seat on the floor.  If Bayley is going to win her first championship, I want to be right there celebrating with her, darnit.

I take that bolded part back.  Worth every penny.  I love Bayley.  I know others have referenced getting teary eyed, too, and I'll add to that saying that I teared up twice on my drive home the next day.  That's an emotional reaction to entertainment that only the very best of wrestling can give me at this age.  

Two things to add about the match that I haven't seen referenced here.  1. I love the emotion of the announcers as two of them yelled out "here we go" when Bayley went for that final Bayley-to-belly.  They were into it.  2. TV missed the ref stopping Sasha from diving onto Bayley on the floor that was then followed up by Sasha diving OVER the ref onto Bayley on the floor.  They caught the tail end of it, but on tv it just looked like the ref was asking Sasha to step back when in fact he had stopped her while she was running toward the ropes.  It made that spot even more special live.  

And as much as Bayley is my favorite wrestler by a wide margin it has to be said that nobody has combined the mastering of a character with the ability to enhance the storytelling with the bell-to-bell talent as much as Sasha Banks has in a long time.  She's just special.

So if Enzo and Cass do make it to RAW tonight, Corey Graves needs to replace someone on that announce team. Having Enzo, Cass, and Becky all on RAW without Corey ranting on them seems like a missed opportunity.

It's ok, we still got JBL to tell us that they are all goofs without doing anything to put them over.

So if Enzo and Cass do make it to RAW tonight, Corey Graves needs to replace someone on that announce team. Having Enzo, Cass, and Becky all on RAW without Corey ranting on them seems like a missed opportunity.

It's ok, we still got JBL to tell us that they are all goofs without doing anything to put them over.

Ya know I'm somewhat okay with JBL directly stealing lines from Corey on these three. If only because it will make JBL somehow sound more creepy and jilted over Becky than Corey does.

Watched the first part of the show (up to Joe-Corbin). Love love loved Trips' "State of the Promotion" address... production for that was balls-out great. You can see how vested he is in making this brand work on its own.

Did anyone else's brain break for Jushin Liger coming out on a WWE show? Got a kick out of the "Vince is the devil" trolls on Facebook and the like bemoaning how Liger would get treated like shit here and lose, when the exact opposite happened and he got over like a demigod.

Who's the ring announcer? I thought he was great... had a strong voice and put a lot of oomph into the intros.

The dude is Greg Hamilton. He is... fine

I really would have preferred JoJo introducing the women's match

Though honestly - they should have gotten the Fink to do the last two matches for a true true main event feel

• Like 1

That was quite a special.  It was surreal seeing an arena filled with NXT people with the chants and everything.

Enjoyed the matches on a whole, no bad ones in sight.  The ladder match was wonderfully brutal, but I was still buzzing over the women's match.  Will see it again but it's not often one can say a women's match should have main evented.   I was really hoping they did.

I loved everything about the women's match.  Sasha's hand work was top notch, the stomping the hand during the bank statement was killer.  Bayley was so fucking good in this match it was unreal.  Her quest for the title has been an up and down ride and worth following the whole time.  We were very excited when Bayley won, and there were definite tears.  The Dusty wristbands started that for sure, and the win/curtain call was so damn emotional.  When they did the 4 Horsewoman hand sign that was the most emotional part.  And how wild is it we're grown men and women openly talking about crying over a match and it's okay?  We can be jaded people with wrestling anymore yet still can react in this way.  It's pretty crazy.

I'm at work so it won't let me view video let alone link it.  But on Twitter Izzy's mom (@bonez216) posted a video of Izzy's reaction that is just so damn heartwarming.  The effect Bayley has on girls like her is astounding.