DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

Haven't read the thread yet.

But Sasha/Bayley stepped up another level. Becky and Sasha did a match that felt like nothing WWE does. Sasha and Bayley went out and basically worked a WWE main event style match, and did it flawlessly.

It's my new match of the year. Holy fuck.

Joe/Corbin was the best Baron has ever looked and the best Joe has since coming in.

Great show.

• Like 1

It also needs more dudes emotional about winning titles

http://youtu.be/OdHkESzbSeM

Well when you have mid carders like Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler who have won over dozen titles then it really is hard to be emotional about it. As far as I know there has never been a multiple NXT champion. Maybe there is a 2 time tag champion but that is probably it.

IIRC, it is only Neville, who was tag champs with Graves and NXT champ.

I watched Bayley/Sasha again. I like it better than Becky/Sasha. They play off of so much stuff over the past few weeks of Bayley matches and the Sasha/Becky thriller.

The turnbuckle spot where Bayley's spine was almost ruined was great. Sasha blocked a TR B2Bayley and a huru -- Bayley used both to beat Charlotte. Sasha was going for something like the arm breaker from the top that she used to beat Becky, that Bayley reversed and heightened what she want to hit earlier.

Sasha also had to heighten her knee strikes and did the Rey ref flip hurdle too, topping the dive she did against Becky.

I also loved Bayley's counter when Sasha was in the tree of woe. I am sure Sasha countered out of something like that before and Bayley saw it coming.

So many great things like that also thrown in with superior character work. Like this match is a MOTD candidate for me.

Did you guys have an issue with the "4 Horsewomen" breaking the wall thing?  I'm torn on it.  I understand why they did it but I think I would have preferred they didn't especially with them showing Naomi and Tamina out there in the crowd.

Detracted from the match-up, big style for me. A proper WTF moment

• Like 1

I think Sasha/Becky was the better match if you watch them in a vacuum, but Sasha/Bayley was the better match if you know anything about NXT from the past few months. In my head, I think Sasha/Becky was better, but then if I go to list them out, there's no way in my heart that I can put it above Sasha/Bayley.

I thought the Four Horsewomen curtain call enhanced the match. Man, what a way to signal the end of an era. I don't really get emotional about books, movies, pro wrestling, etc., but that genuinely made me feel feelings, seeing those four who have done so much for elevating the game for women in North America, having one last "WE DID IT!" moment after the last one left in NXT full time wins the gold. 

Plus, we all know Sasha doesn't really believe she's the Boss underneath and that she amplifies that part of herself to keep her confidence up. I'm never shocked when she lets down her guard for a bit (like she did after winning the NXT Championship and briefly hugging Charlotte before remembering her facade and shoving her away). 

Totally fine with it. It played into the story before the match and in the preview. Charlotte ahead of time have Bayley a hug and Becky gave Bayley a respect handshake. That is a perfect way to capture those relationships. Bayley's whole thin has ways been about gaining respect from her peers -- she lacks the confidence they do. Sasha's character is that she has this bling girl routine to cover up how at her core she is a dork with the same insecurities Bayley has. She plays this in the ring and the announcers even touched on it a bit.

And from a meta POV, everyone there and watching knows about the 4 Horsewomen.

• Like 1

Caught the replay this morning before work.

BEST JERSEY ALL-PRO CARD I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME~!

I wanted to love Balor / Owens, but no match could possibly follow the Bayley vs. Sasha epic without drop-off.

• Like 1

"Hate-filled build-up, followed by a bunch of hugging and RESPECT after the fact" is the M.O. of, like, nearly every UFC main event ever, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not something you want to do *all* the time, but for a special occasion like this, it's fine.

And, I mean...it's 2015. I would wager the vast majority of the fans in attendance knew Bayley and Sasha were friends in real life, so, despite the obvious parallels, this was not some grand pulling back of the curtain like when the Kliq did it.

I hope Kana can make it in the WWE but she's known for saying what she thinks and getting heat. She's also older than they'd like and she is really really stiff. She will get over and be a star though and she'll be the best women's worker from the start. Can't wait to see her stiffing Cameron. I think she's going to end up being the Kenta they thought they hired. Kana vs Rousey please. Rousey isn't even a trained wrestler and it will be a match of the year.

I was doing other things while the show was on but here's some thoughts:

- Liger was easily the best worker on the show. He had more personality than anyone else, minus Sasha. Such a surreal moment and he just knew what to do. Breeze got a little too much in and did too many restholds though.

- Didn't see too much of the tag but it looked good.

- Crews' debut was alright but not what he needed to be. Again, too many rest holds and he didn't get to really show off or look dominant. It's also amazing how much smaller he looks compared to Dragon Gate, where he was a monster.

- Joe vs Corbin was really good and Joe looked the best he has looked in a long time.

- Sasha vs Bailey was good. I didn't like it as much as Charlotte/Sasha from a few shows ago and I think Bailey will only reign for a short time, but they did a great job and the crowd was doing everything they could to make it work. People wanted to make this good and tried to make it good and succeeded.

- Watching the main now, but Balor looks like a larger than life superstar.

This show was so surreal and like a mark's dream. Hope we see more of this as I think they are doing indies better than idies are.

Would love to see Liger showing up on RAW to answer a Cena open challenge.

I... I....... I........... You son of a bitch. I now need this more than I need anything else in my life.

Except maybe a Jushin Liger POP!

• Like 2

I admit I wanted Sasha to heel after the match, but I understand why they did that. Can we please get a Becky vs Sasha iron woman match or 2/3 falls to be the official send off?

The other 2 women deserve to be there too, make it a tag match. After the curtain call last night, putting any mix n match teams together for one last match would work.

I don't have that much of an issue with it just that Tamina/Naomi are out there and then today we have the SummerSlam match and they are all supposed to be fighting again.

I hope that when I come back here tonight to read the Summerslam thread, I find out that this was foreshadowing for Sasha, Becky, and Charlotte turning on their teams and banding together as it should have been in the first damned place. 

Triple H's opening of the show is one of the greatest things ive ever seen. My jaw dropped when the crowd went wild after.

The lone guy screaming Super Dragon while everyone else was silent was hilarious.
That was great.

I sometimes question paying €12.99 a month for the Network but events like this once in a while make it all worth it.

Joe looked great but he's more fitted for the main roster.

Banks/Bayley is something else.

MEN ARE HERE!!

EDIT; G1 tournament,Takeover Brooklyn,SummerSlam tonight. Not a bad time to be a wrestling fan.

Would love to see Liger showing up on RAW to answer a Cena open challenge.

I... I....... I........... You son of a bitch. I now need this more than I need anything else in my life.
Except maybe a Jushin Liger POP!

Well yeah, obviously.

It will be interesting to see how hey book the divas elimination match given that most of the crowd saw the 4 Horsewomen as the true stars while the WWE is still pushing the idea that people like the Bellas and Noami are the reason for the revolution.    You know there is going to be tons of "We Want Bayley" chants during the match