DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

I glanced at the Feedback over at the WON and this made me giggle

They show some people in the crowd, one of which is a female Japanese wrestler. I don’t know who she is, but she intimidates me... and I like it.
  • Like 1

I think my only real disappointment was WWE being lazy and not using Ikari no Jushin.  

Yeah, when Liger's music hit, and it was just this generic music that kinda-sorta (not really) sounds like Ikari no Jushin, I was just like "Aw, that's bullshit!"

Loved everything about this card. Except Corey Graves, whose heel schtick was kinda nonsensical at points, particularly during the Tag Title match and Bayley/Sasha. Seeing Liger in a WWE ring was surreal to me, Joe being Joe was awesome. I marked out, more out of surprise than anything, at seeing Kana at ringside, and then thought "Aw, man, why'd they have to put her next to Flair?"

Both main events...Holy shit...Nothing else to say about them that hasn't been said already. Main roster has some serious work ahead of them tonight.

That was a nasty fall Bayley took off of the top rope. I thought she was legit knocked senseless. What exactly happened there? It looked like she was going for a rana and was supposed to take the bump flat on her stomach after Sasha held onto the top rope. Instead she did a Bigelow moonsault and landed on her face.

Announcers should have sold it that Sasha tried to toss her off but she got a little dropkick in on the way off. That's kind of what it looked like. They're not experienced enough to think on their toes like that, though. 

Sasha's really good. 

I'm really excited to see the difference in the crowd last night to tonight. I think it'll be hot for most of the night but then there's Orton vs Sheamus.

Joe vs. Corbin was a damn good match. I don't honestly get why people hate on Corbin. I see huge potential for the guy. My favorite spot of the match was Corbin busting out the heel hook. There's a move that doesn't get used enough. I finally saw the Goldberg comparisons when he did that because Goldberg would bust out knee bars and stuff time to time randomly in his matches. Punches aside it was a damn good match. It's great that Joe finally can show his stuff in front of such a large crowd here in the states.

The commentary was intermittently annoying overall, but Graves was very alert in immediately putting over how potentially damaging that heel hook was

I didn't even know Corbin had any kind of grappling background til they showed the NAGA photo in the video package - it at least gives him something else to work with when he gets into wrestling big guys he can't pin in 23 seconds.  Always amused that they actually want to publicise his hilariously pudgy football years

At the start of the womens' match where Bayley actually got a slightly mixed reaction I thought yeah they're actually gonna have to work very hard to get the right kind of reactions here, then when Bayley countered the Bank Statement to the crossface and everyone went nuts it was just like oh yeah they fuckin got them now

All the brutal methodical limbwork stuff must just have Regal sitting back with a massive grin backstage, I guess the Regal-Danielson-Del Ray lineage shows though pretty clearly a lot of the time in that division

I think my only real disappointment was WWE being lazy and not using Ikari no Jushin.

There is a difference between lazy and not wanting to pay for the rights & go through negotiation hassles just to use the song once. All that said I'm still disappointed they didn't.

Hey, remember when I said about a month ago that Sasha Banks is one of the top five workers in the world and someone argued with me?

Yeah, I was right.

Amazing, amazing, amazing, show. The ladies stole the show. Joe was killer. The actual main was a violent mess in a good way. I saw Liger shotay Tyler Breeze, and other super fun stuff happened.

Oh Summerslam, this is gonna be hard for you, isn't it?

Loved this show from top to bottom, Summerslam is going to have a hard time topping this.

Opener was a good, solid match. All I wanted going in was the Liger selfie stick spot and they delivered that and more. Would love to see Liger showing up on RAW to answer a Cena open challenge.

Didn't have much interest going in to the tag title match, aside from creeping on Alexa Bliss but this was really well worked. Gotch has some really cool offence.

I thought the Apollo Crews debut was good, I'm glad they done something different, as the last few name Indy guys they've debuted have went right into the top of the card. It will be nice to see someone work their way up. A winning streak gimmick could work here. The height Crews gets on those leapfrogs and dropkicks for his size is unreal.

Joe/Corbin was easily Corbin's best match. I think it will be a slow process but Corbin will be a main event star, he's just got something about him that stands out. Joe looked better than he had done in NXT as well, loved the spinning backfist on the strike exchange. I would be happy to see this feud continue.

Women's title match was just incredible and my match of the year so far, they're may be better wrestled matches but nothing with the emotional investment that this had. Sasha is just a star, I love how she just takes her time and works her gimmick between moves rather than just rush, rush, rush. They need to give her time to do that on the main roster.

Owens/Balor was brilliant as well, really good work by both and one of the better ladder matches in recent years. Owen's just sitting nonchalantly on the chair at ringside whilst Balor made his grand entrance was amazing. 

It also needs more dudes emotional about winning titles

Well when you have mid carders like Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler who have won over dozen titles then it really is hard to be emotional about it. As far as I know there has never been a multiple NXT champion.  Maybe there is a 2 time tag champion but that is probably it.

I admit I wanted Sasha to heel after the match, but I understand why they did that. Can we please get a Becky vs Sasha iron woman match or 2/3 falls to be the official send off?

I need to rewatch that ladder match the more I think about it the better it was. I'm sure watching it when it doesn't have to follow one of the best feel good moments in WWE history on top of a great match will make a difference.

There is a difference between lazy and not wanting to pay for the rights & go through negotiation hassles just to use the song once. All that said I'm still disappointed they didn't.

Eh, CMLL and TNA did it.  And I highly doubt it'd cost much since other than Liger using the song it's almost never used (what, 2 SRW games and random covers by MIQ as far as I know).  It just seems it's more that the WWE side didn't want to put any kind of effort into it.

• Like 1

That was a nasty fall Bayley took off of the top rope. I thought she was legit knocked senseless. What exactly happened there? It looked like she was going for a rana and was supposed to take the bump flat on her stomach after Sasha held onto the top rope. Instead she did a Bigelow moonsault and landed on her face.

Announcers should have sold it that Sasha tried to toss her off but she got a little dropkick in on the way off. That's kind of what it looked like. They're not experienced enough to think on their toes like that, though. 

Sasha's really good. 

I'm really excited to see the difference in the crowd last night to tonight. I think it'll be hot for most of the night but then there's Orton vs Sheamus.

rewatching: 

(I didn't care much for Sasha's attire here -- very busy. ) 

Sasha's sitting on the top turnbuckle, Bayley runs up with a forearm

Bayley climbs to the top rope, (at this point Sasha has an arm around Bayley's leg) jumps as if to deliver a top-rope Frankensteiner, but:

Bayley seems to overjump, misses getting her legs around Sasha's head, and at the same time Sasha: shoves or tosses Bayley a bit with her left arm, while she (Sasha) holds on to the rope with her right arm. 

I like Tracy's interpretation. 

Bayley's crash and burn kinda reminded me of when the Snuka kid failed to catch Taker in the first HBK Mania match: a scary botch that actually kinda adds to the match rather than detracts from it.

I just know when they went up top for the reverse rana, I was holding my breath for them twice as hard as I normally would've, and popped about 10x harder when they hit it perfectly.

We keep mentioning there was no heel win, but on second thought they used the early booking to set us up for the later matches, in that it added a little extra doubt to if Bayley/Balor would go over later.

All told, this possibly was the greatest show in the history of ROH.

• Like 1

Eh, CMLL and TNA did it.  And I highly doubt it'd cost much since other than Liger using the song it's almost never used (what, 2 SRW games and random covers by MIQ as far as I know).  It just seems it's more that the WWE side didn't want to put any kind of effort into it.

Doesn't it actually take more effort to make a one-off song than to just negotiate the rights to one?

I imagine that there might be a deal for Liger getting into WWE 2K16 as a downloadable character and they wanted to give him a song that they could use in the game. 

Well if that is the case then New Japan his own promotion is even more lazy because Liger's theme last night was much more interesting then the generic one they use on New Japan World

I Don't think CMLL pays for any music rights. They just play whatever they want.