DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

I loved this show. Liger/Breeze was terribly fun. The tag titles was match was solid and the best the Vaudevillains have looked. Joe/Corbin was good stuff though Corbin definitely needs to improve his strikes. Balor/Owens was good and brutal but a bit overshadowed by the amazing match that came before it between Sasha & Bayley. I can't remember a women's match in WWE ever having such a big match atmosphere and they more than delivered. That was easily MOTN. I enjoyed it even more than Sasha/Becky.

Just got back.   God... damn.    What a great show.

Right before Hunter went on camera, he almost literally begged us to stay quiet during the intro.  About 90% of the audience did thankfully.

Vaudevillains winning was a nice surprise as was Blue Pants.  (Fuck you if you didn't like the Blue Pants City chant, you humorless sap.)

Apollo Crews looked great as did Joe.  

Balor/Owens was fantastic and through no fault of its own will be overshadowed.  Owens dying on that ladder at the end, Jesus. 

I'll come back to Bayley/Sasha in a sec...

The arena matches...   

Eva Marie got NUCLEAR heat, Carmella did what she could, but lord Eva was awful.  I am still laughing at Cole's "the Universe has always loved Eva Marie" line.

Evil Emma beat Dana, Charlotte, and Becky.  I'm 99% sure Becky completely botched the finish by not kicking out.  She came up and instantly looked like she had fucked up. 

Oh, and Enzo/Cass... yeah.  They were just *slightly* over.  There's a difference when 500 people chant your slogan than when 15500 do.  

And back to Bayley/Sasha.  

I've been fortunate enough to be present for more than my share of all time great matches (Austin-Hart I, Mania 20 Triple Threat, Foley/HHH @ Rumble 2000 and on and on...)    Bayley/Sasha is not only the best women's match I've ever seen... it may have been the best match I've ever seen, period.  

$55 well spent.

• Like 3

I went into this with somewhat low expectations, just because I wasn't really high on The Vaudevillains, Blake/Murphy, or Bayley. This show changed those opinions. Everybody worked their asses off. 

Shows like this are why I still watch wrestling. What an emotional roller-coaster. 

I'm stoked for SummerSlam, but no way will it top this. It can't. 

That was a great show. I'd say the second best NXT show ever behind R-Evolution, and the leading candidate for WWE show of the year.

Liger/Breeze was exactly what it should've been. Lots of Breeze stooging and Liger hitting his spots, plus Breeze's entrance ruled.

Tag title match had a surprising result. I thought that was the token heel win on the card for sure. I've always thought Gotch could do a lot more than he usually shows, and it was nice to see him get to let loose somewhat here. He really owns the gimmick. These two definitely deserve at least a short run with the straps for the work they've put in the last year plus. I suspect it won't be long before another team is ready, willing, and GABLE to win the titles, though.

Joe/Corbin was a fun slugfest. Not really a typical WWE formula match. Corbin showed some really great bumping ability we haven't seen out of him here with the sell of the running drop kick and the guardrail spot. Wonder if Joe is up next for Balor.

Not much more can be said about Sasha/Bayley. That's a legit MOTYC on first watch. There were some great spots and tremendous nearfalls, and everything just flowed perfectly. The hand stomping in the Bank Statement was some ROH-Bryan level shit, and the double knee drop off the ropes totally made me bite. The "curtain call" moment was pretty damn sweet too. Very much deserved. And as far as Sasha's case for WOTY goes, I don't think anyone would dispute the other 3 horsewomen are all reasonably talented, and they all had their best WWE matches by a wide margin with Sasha Banks, and their second best is likely 4-way. Brock's really her only competition for that honor, but she's pouring on the volume being full-time vs. part-time.

The ladder match was solid, definitely had a tough act to follow. I liked the pace and Owens had some great cutoffs. The fisherman tease at the top of the ladder made my butthole clench. I liked the decisive finish for Balor, who I think will be holding the belt for some time.

Just got back.   God... damn.    What a great show.

What the fuck happened during the Balor/Owens match that made everybody stop paying attention to it?

4 guys tried to throw streamers into the ring after the announcements, missed, and got ejected (I assume for sucking at throwing.)

The distraction was when they got let back in.

I was sorely disappointed that they didn't rip off the Muta/Liger mask/mist angle to cause Breeze to lose the match then Breeze can have a few weeks angle of losing modelling gigs because he's covered in green mist.

I was also hoping that Enzo/Cass would tease Carmella as the Vaudvillians backup then blast thru with the Blue Pants singalong.

Other than that, awesome show.

OH, and another thing.  Please give me some of this, NXT:

tumblr_ng8ftkOAff1tszqifo4_r1_500.png

• Like 2

Just watched the replay. Eh, I thought this was one of the weaker undercards any of the NXT specials had. Breeze/Liger was a TV match only made special by the fact it was Liger in a WWE ring. Also, I really hate the electronica remix of Breeze's song. Ty-Uha, er, Apollo was a good showcase for Uha (sorry, I know WWE wants to brand him with "their" name but could they pick a more generic name than Apollo Crews?) but not much more. Joe tried to carry Corbin through a brawling slugfest but Corbin is kinda hopeless. The tag match was by far the highlight of the undercard - Blake/Murphy are generic as hell but they're solid workers and I find the Vaudevillains schtick endlessly amusing. Also, Evil Alexa looks fantastic in booty shorts.

But the two mains, well, the show tomorrow will be hard pressed to top those. Sasha-Bayley was absolutely amazing. Definite MOTY candidate and best woman's match since that Four Way where Sasha won the belt. Sasha's such a fucking star - she's hot, she's an outstanding wrestler, and she's got endless amounts of charisma. They really gotta get her away from those other two useless scrubs they saddled her with on Raw because she can be the Ric Flair heel at the center of a legit woman's division. Bayley's come so far from when I first started watching NXT - she's not as smooth or athletic as Sasha but she'll take crazy bumps and just plays the babyface role perfectly. Awesome match.

Balor-Owens was another fantastic match. It may not have been the most memorable ladder match but it was one of the best worked. Thing that ruins ladder matches is when guys spend forever setting up contrived spots and/or when they fall into a big spot-lay around-big spot-lay around pattern and this almost totally avoided both. Everything flowed seamlessly and it was just very well executed from start to finish. Owens dickishness is great and I loved the way the tease of the big spot was almost as good as the big spots. It was going to be hard to follow the Ladies' match but they certainly did their best.

Not the best NXT special but as good as most of their big shows and way better than most of their B ppvs.

My eyes are so puffy and red from just how overwhelmed I got watching Bayley vs Sasha. One of the best matches I've ever seen. The curtain call somehow got me in the feels even more. Can't wait to watch that with my daughter. That match though, that's a hard act to follow.

And follow it, Owens and Balor did. What a brutal match. I'm so used to ladders in WWE being so weak and breaking so easily. These ladders looked like the hurtiest fucking things. I hope Owens is good to go for his Summerslam match.

As for the rest of the show, it was so much fun. Liger vs Breeze was like watching an old favorite band of yours play all of their hits and they could still play the shit out of those hits. The Vaudevillains win! Corbin vs Joe was great! The strike exchange between the two was nasty. I don't know about any of you, but getting slapped by Joe looks painful as hell. And Apollo Crews...He is a license to print money.

• Like 1

Liger looked great (though he really shouldn't have gone over).

Simon Gotch is crazy underrated.

Kevin Owens is a violent man. That "You did this!" superkick to a kneeling Finn Bálor made me gasp.

Fuck the haters, Finn Bálor is amazing and is very possibly the future of WWE.

Samoa Joe still rules.

The women's match was awesome but the fuck was up with that love-in afterwards though? The announcers had just spent the match telling us how much Sasha hates Bailey, Sasha insults Bailey during the match then they stand together hugging it out and basically curtain calling it up afterwards lol. Detracted from a really good match up imo.

• Like 1

I didn't care for it either.

"I'm sorry I tried to crush your hand and almost broke your neck, Bayley."

"It's ok it's just business."

I swear as soon as I saw Charlotte and Becky hit the ring and until the segment actually ended I thought for sure Bayley was going to catch a Sting from the Horsemen beating.

• Like 2

Side note - I wonder if this will finally be the show that gets Meltzer to realize that he needs to be covering the Takeover shows instead of passing it off to other folks.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he covered the last Takeover show.  IIRC he mentioned on the radio shows that Saturday was his daughter's birthday.