DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: BROOKLYN

RIPPA

This thread is for discussion of said show AFTER said show.

I am just thinking it's 50/50 I am awake to reopen it later

Don't make me regret leaving it here.

Oh and I think I will be covering it by myself on the Twitter account since it looks like Ray and Pete went to the ROH show

Bayley/Sasha was oh my god. Sasha/Becky brought the armwork. This brought such an awesome story about not giving up in the face adversity -- in particular the face of a self-important wanna-be celebrity who will do anything to push 'em out the way, including wrecking your hand --and finding something inside yourself to win. That friggin' ending with the reverse 'canrana into the B2Bailey was so great. I love, love, love that match so much.

I don't know if it was MOTY or not but it's the most fun I've had all year. Sasha was so damn creative with some of those hand/arm spots and reversals.  I'm amazed she is so fucking great so soon in her career.  She's a Top 5 worker male/female  in the company.  No hyperbole.

• Like 1

First off, fuck this shitty crowd chanting about Full Sail during a pretty good opener. Fuck right off, Barclays Center fans. 

Tyler Breeze's Summer Collection was great. Enjoyed Breeze/Liger, loved Liger with the selfie stick. Breeze busted out some pretty good offense. I love that the story on him is becoming that when he can't put a guy away, he gets frustrated and distracted and then immediately loses, never able to get any more offense in. It happened to him with Finn at the last TakeOver. Good character work. 

BLUE PANTS BLUE PANTS BLUE PANTS BLUE PANTS BLUE PANTS

Simon Gotch has some pretty neat offense. Love the transition into the armbar. He throws those cool knees, too. 

Blake and Murphy are a decent tag team and were fine in control even with the weak offense, but they are probably lost without Alexa Bliss because even though it took her a few weeks, she really figured out how to be a supremely bitchy heel manager and is pretty great right now. They desperately need her on the outside barking and making mean faces to make the whole thing work. 

The Villains winning is awesome. Wish it was Enzo and Cass, but the Villains are cool too. Ready to see Simon Gotch wrestle Chad Gable, to be honest. 

Crews's response somersault getting those "10" chants was great. Way too much offense from Dillinger, though, for Crews's debut match. I am always amazed when I see Crews do things like that standing moonsault. He gets absurd air on it. Bad attempt at a showcase match though because Dillinger took way too much of the match. 

Crockett Dusty Cup is awesome. 

Corbin/Joe was another pretty good match! Liked Joe's work on the mat and their strike fest - the spinning back fist from Joe was very nice. The finish was neat as well.

COME ONNNNNN BAYLEY SORRY SASHA YOU ARE GREAT BUT COME ON BAYLEY PLEASE LET HER WIN

Bayley rocking the Dusty polka dots is a +1000. Sasha Banks was looking like a megastar getting out of the Escalade with the bodyguards. Damn. 

Everyone pulling out their best offense tonight is a real positive to this show. Nice springboard elbow in the corner. I notice that the women actually seem to be fighting to get out or to avoid of holds from underneath instead of the typical "sit in a chinlock" looking bored deal that goes on amongst the main roster. 

In light of the earlier discussion, we got a THIS IS WRESTLING chant, which I read as a "We hate typical Divas-style matches, more of this instead please" chant. It still sucked though. 

Sasha going to work on the arm was GREAT. She is the best limbworker in the company at this point, IMO. She gets so mean when she gets locked in a limb AND THEN HOLY SHIT THAT PLANCHA. Sasha is FUCKING GREAT. I choose to accept that Bayley had adrenaline going through her to use that hand, but man, she really drops her selling of limbs. Not that it matters in this company.  Anyway, Sasha stomping the hand as Bayley tried to reach the ropes and then kicking away from the ropes herself was awesome too. I pretty much am a massive Sasha mark so I'm just going to stop going on about every little cool thing she does. 

That finish was great, Bayley doing a fucking poisoned hurricanrana was great, Bayley getting fired up before the second Belly-to-Bayley was great, all of it was great. I am so happy, and I love wrestling. The end though, just made me want to see Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky Lynch together on the main shows instead of split up in these groups like they are now. They had a curtain call. That era of NXT is over. I'm...I'm going to go get some Kleenex now. 

Bálor's entrance is so fucking goofy. I'm not easily embarrassed by goofy wrestling stuff, but most goofy wrestling stuff is tongue-in-cheek. This entrance is serious. I hate this thing so much. HATE. I felt bad because I cut on the Network and saw part of those special segments they did on Bálor, and the guy seems so nice that I feel bad hating on him. But man, he shows up and does the shitty entrance and has mediocre matches, and I can't help myself. 

Kevin Owens is a real hateful, cocky prick. So enjoyable. 

Wonder what distracted the crowd?

Anyway, this match went on. Owens was pretty violent and almost spontaneous, like when he tossed Bálor across the announcers' table. He also took a vicious back bump onto that ladder to set up the finish. This match kinda went on, but part of it is that there are too many ladder matches. I feel like there's almost no rate of return on them. They probably hurt like fuck and are less impressive than they have ever been. If this match happened in 1997, I would have loved it instead of just liking it pretty dang well. 

Honestly, they should have put Bayley and Sasha on last in retrospect. Great show, though. 
  • Like 1

Unbelievable show top-to-bottom. Don't think a single thing missed. Even Corbin brought the goods tonight.

Not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes after that ladies bout. Was so emotionally invested in that match and the two characters and they just absolutely tore the house down. Maybe it's just the emotion and freshness in my mind right now but for my $, that was the best match I've seen all year and maybe even in a few years.

• Like 2

Main event was almost an afterthought. I need to rewatch it tomorrow. 

Sasha vs Bayley is a legit MOTY contender and honestly I could see it winning in the Observer.  ***** match that was just a master class in the WWE "telling a story model." That 100% should have gone on last.

That show was just fucking incredible. I mean, Ric Flair and fucking Kana got equal chyron, Leva Bates blows the roof off the joint, Jushin Liger shows up and does shit. FUCK I LOVE WRESTLING AND I LOVE THIS SHOW. 

And, people are gonna bitch about how annoying NXT crowds are but, man, EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE is over on these shows and the crowds are always jacked. Tomorrow a lot of the crowd will be snoozing during some of those matches. It's great to see a passionate crowd respond to wrestling on a major scale. 

A+ show. 

• Like 1

We'll spend most of the time talking about Bayley/Sasha, but it must be said: Joe's still got it.

That was Corbin's best match by a country mile, and if his strikes didn't suck so much ass, that Ishii/Makabe segment at the end would've gotten over huge and been a Lesnar/Reigns-esque boost to Corbin's bonafides. As it was, it never carried the crowd past the point where it transcended their very palpable dread this was all just prelude to Corbin going over.

At first, I felt like Sasha/Bayley should have ended at the first B2B because the crowd was so hot. But they had some really cool stuff after that and managed to get the crowd back to that level. It was a hell of a match. It was exactly what it needed to be and a little more.

I think the match order was fine given how bananas Owens/Balor was. I feel like they also may have burned the crowd out and made Sasha/Bayley less special. The women needed that crowd and moment more than Owens and Balor in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2

But, yeah, BAYLEY AND SASHA.

To me, that was everything the "WWE main event style" should be, but more often than not turns into a lot of DRAMATIC LAYING AROUND and making goofy ACTING~! faces.

This had all the character work you could ever want, but they told the story IN THE WRESTLING, not between the wrestling spots.

Side note - I wonder if this will finally be the show that gets Meltzer to realize that he needs to be covering the Takeover shows instead of passing it off to other folks.

Not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes after that ladies bout.

Yeah, you're not the only one.  I'm not even a huge Bayley fan, but holy shit, how could you not be emotional by the end?

And while, yes, that deserved to go on last, I think it would have tipped the finish off.  I literally wasn't sure who was winning as a result.

Absolutely loved Owens shutting up the "Ole" chants just by mocking Zayn's injury.  I laughed way too hard at that.

One last thought; for a second, when they showed Neville and Cesaro arriving with Bálor, I thought that they might do a Humiliation Conga Line for Owens to write him off NXT. Have both men down when Zayn, Neville, Cesaro, Joe, and Itami come out and surround him. They beat the shit out of him, hold him up for Itami to kick him, and let Zayn hit a move (a Helluva Kick if he can do that without tearing out his shoulder) before Bálor gets up, does the double stomp, and climbs the ladder. It would have protected Owens a bit better and wrapped up the narrative that Owens crossed one too many people and now they were all there to get payback at the last possible chance.