DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 74: Holloway vs. Oliveira (8/23/2015) - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (SaskTel Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

I think that makes sense honestly.  But hey at least Cote challenged someone higher up.

Sucks the main event ended that way, but Holloway really did nothing wrong.  You have to consider him a contender now.  Not sure if he gets that fight with Edgar, but it makes sense.  UFC might try to run McGregor/Aldo more than once for all we know.

I could be wrong, but isn't there a tax issue that's keeping UFC out of Hawaii?

I think the tax thing was something from like five or six years ago, which pretty much put an end to the Hawaii MMA scene other than few fly by nights orgs (including the brief ProElite reincarnation).

A story about Penn and Holloway wanting to bring a show to Hawaii reveals this though:

Bringing a UFC event to Hawai’i has long been a popular topic of discussion and the reality of it happening came close several years ago, but the deal was nixed when state MMA regulations required two percent of all pay-per-view sales to be paid to the state. However, those regulations have now been modified to a $50,000 limit — eliminating financial concerns.

Even though I would like to see the UFC try to re-run tonight's main event, I could see the UFC tossing Holloway a bone and giving him someone he can style on. Then, they would probably throw him against someone really legit. If they see promise in him, they probably wouldn't want to have him to fight Edgar. Then again, if people start talking about it more than a potential Jeremy Stephens bout, anything is possible.

• Like 1

Matheus Aquino @MatheusDCAquino 23m

Combate's color commentator @alonsopvt just said on air that he heard that do Bronx went into the fight with some type of neck injury (cont)

Matheus Aquino @MatheusDCAquino 23m

but his team had told him it wasn't anything serious. Well, looks like it was.

UFC EuropeVerified account‏@UFCEurope 14m14 minutes ago

Injury Update: Charles Oliveira suffered a micro-tear in his esophagus at #UFCSaskatoon: http://bit.ly/1JOOsJN 

So, that was a thing going into the fight and the takedown attempt exacerbated it? That's gross and if he entered the fight with that, shit ain't right. I hope he gets well and back on the winning track soon.