DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 74: Holloway vs. Oliveira (8/23/2015) - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (SaskTel Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

poster.jpg

UFC Fight Night 74: Holloway vs. Oliveira

August 23, 2015

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada (SaskTel Centre)

Max Holloway (145) vs. Charles Oliveira (145.5) - Holloway, TKO (injury), R1 (1:39)

Neil Magny (170.5) vs. Erick Silva (171) - Magny, DEC (split)

Patrick Côté (170) vs. Josh Burkman (170) - Côté, TKO (punches), R3 (1:26)

Chad Laprise (155.5) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (155.5) - Trinaldo, TKO (punches), R1 (2:43)

Olivier Aubin-Mercier (155) vs. Tony Sims (155.5) - Aubin-Mercier, DEC (unanimous)

Maryna Moroz (115) vs. Valérie Letourneau (116)* - Letourneau, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Sam Stout (155) vs. Frankie Perez (155.5) - Perez, TKO (punches), R1 (0:54)

Yves Jabouin (135.5) vs. Felipe Arantes (135.5) - Arantes, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:21)

Marcos Rogério de Lima (205) vs. Nikita Krylov (205.5) - Krylov, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:29)

Chris Kelades (125.5) vs. Chris Beal (126 - Kelades, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Shane Campbell (155) vs. Elias Silvério (154.5) - Campbell, DEC (unanimous)

Misha Cirkunov (205) vs. Daniel Jolly (204) - Cirkunov, KO (punches), R1 (4:45)

*Reweighed after weighing 117 on first attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Felipe Arantes
Performance of the Night: Frankie Perez

Fight of the Night: Patrick Côté vs. Josh Burkman

Attendance: 7,202

Gate: $949,000

Rating: 796,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Chris Wade vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier - Wade Withdrew from Bout

Rick Story vs. Erick Silva - Injury to Story

Sean O'Connell vs. Misha Cirkunov - Injury to O'Connell

As much as I love Do Bronx, Holloway has much more upside. Even though people expected it, his improvement from the Poirier fight is just crazy still. He has the toughness and the physical tools to compete with the top featherweights. Hopefully, his grappling skills continue to come around.

The thing with Do Bronx is his wins impress you, but he relies so much on his awkwardness and improvisation. At lightweight, he was probably dealing with a strength deficit. However, I think one problem remains the same at featherweight. If he isn't the outright better grappler (Hioki would prob be the exception if he didn't get murderballed on), how can you rely on him to win rounds? There are definitely some guys he can outstrike but those aren't the tippity top fighters. I know Frankie Edgar could be champ at 145 or 155, but it's not like he is going anywhere anytime soon. The road to the belt leads through Mendes and Edgar for right now. Even if you take out Edgar and put Aldo or McGregor, it's still obviously a very tough row to hoe. Can Do Bronx improve to the point where he can actually beat Frankie Edgar instead of giving him a tough fifteen minutes? If he can, then we got a fighter who could legitimately win the belt.

Between the weight problems, being with a smaller camp, and what I mentioned above, it's very hard to forecast him making those necessary strides. He is still young enough to make them though.

• Like 1

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/acupuncture-mishap-ruled-mitch-clarke-out-of-sundays-ufc-fight-night-74-event

As the Star Phoenix‘s Dave Deibert reported:

The reason he’s not competing on Sunday’s Fight Night card, headlined by a featherweight bout between top-10 contenders Charles Oliveira and Max Holloway, is almost too bizarre to believe.

While receiving an acupuncture treatment, the needle broke off from the handle while in his arm. Making things exponentially worse, the muscle in his forearm was contracting at that exact moment. With no handle to hold on to, the needle was sucked deep into his forearm muscle. Clarke had to undergo surgery to have the needle removed.

While there is no good time for such a thing, it was especially bad for Clarke on a personal level. The acupuncture-gone-wrong in June happened the day before UFC announced the Saskatoon stop. He held out hope of recovering in time to compete, but even now he doesn’t have feeling in part of his affected hand. Clarke will take part in a grappling competition on Sept. 12 in Nova Scotia, largely to see how his hand holds up in competition.

Ouch.

Was there a reason given as to why it's on a Sunday rather than a Saturday?

Also, I was a bit surprised to see Holloway the decent favourite. I hope Do Bronx continues onward and upward with an emphatic win.

Was there a reason given as to why it's on a Sunday rather than a Saturday?

Not that I heard of, but FS1 had the Rangers vs. the Tigers on last night. They have Saturday baseball doubleheaders that alternate between 1 pm & 4 pm and 4 pm & 7 pm. Yesterday was the latter.

Surprised that Frankie Perez, fairly young at 26, 1-1 in the UFC is already retiring.  But fighting is tough, and the rewards aren't always big unless you are a top guy and that could take years of grinding when and you are still struggling to break though.

Unfortunately, that is probably it for Sam Stout's UFC career if he's getting slept by 26 year olds who are ready to call it quits.  He could probably have success against lower level guys outside the UFC and probably get some fights with the likes of Guillard, Thomson, etc.

Surprised that Frankie Perez, fairly young at 26, 1-1 in the UFC is already retiring.  But fighting is tough, and the rewards aren't always big unless you are a top guy and that could take years of grinding when and you are still struggling to break though.

Unfortunately, that is probably it for Sam Stout's UFC career if he's getting slept by 26 year olds who are ready to call it quits.  He could probably have success against lower level guys outside the UFC and probably get some fights with the likes of Guillard, Thomson, etc.

If he doesn't retire, he will probably end up in WSOF since they run shows in Canada every now and then.

• Like 1

I think that makes sense honestly.  But hey at least Cote challenged someone higher up.

Sucks the main event ended that way, but Holloway really did nothing wrong.  You have to consider him a contender now.  Not sure if he gets that fight with Edgar, but it makes sense.  UFC might try to run McGregor/Aldo more than once for all we know.

I could be wrong, but isn't there a tax issue that's keeping UFC out of Hawaii?