DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: PAIGE

RIPPA

I took a few weeks off from WOTD since August tends to be hellish on my schedule (and it won't get much better shortly). I also took a break as folks don't seem to care. (Judging by responses). So we shall see how longer this soldiers on.

Today is an interesting day as it the birthday of Paige AND Cheerleader Melissa. Clearly - I would have been picking Melissa... if I hadn't already. http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1396-wrestler-of-the-day-cheerleader-melissa/?hl=cheerleader

So Paige it is - which is somewhat appropriate considering DIVA REVOLUTION~! STEPH IS THE GREATEST PERSON EVER~!

For the record - no Total Divas stuff. Let's stay with the wrestling.

• Like 1

Paige is a very interesting case. 

She wrestled in a specific way and portrayed a specific character in NXT. I think she pulled off "anti-diva" far better than almost any WWE project ever has. I think there were a lot of people, especially young females behind her. She sort of portrayed a punk-rock, post-apocalyptic warrior with wrestling in her blood. A fury with passion and a scream to action. Regal, especially, did a great job of building her up on commentary back in the early days. She had some matches that backed it up, with Emma and others. 

Then she went up to the main roster and they told her to portray a character almost completely opposite, naive and earnest and with her tail between her legs. Instead of being a force, she tended to sell a lot and portray vulnerability. They played up her youth above all else and not the elements that made her so compelling and even primal in NXT. Then they did the double turn with her and AJ (so much as you can call it that in a world where there is no face/heel structure and all females are nutty and catty and zany) and I think she found a pretty effective voice with it, but it wasn't in the least that different a voice than, let's say, Alicia Fox had been portraying just a few months before. Add in the Total Divas antics and you sort of get this being who was twisted by the machine into exactly what WWE wanted her to be. 

And then you look forward and see Sasha and Charlotte, Becky and Bayley, and it sort of makes you worried for the world to come. Tread lightly with your optimism for we are on ever unstable ground.

What is funny is that Paige doing the anti-Diva thing in NXT was that there weren't really "Divas" in NXT. (FCW was a little different but still). So you would have thought it would have been perfect for her call-up but "Bitches Be Crazy" and all that.

Of course - let's not say this is all the bookings fault. I mean Paige was really really quick to embrace it. I mean she raced out to buy a really good push-up bra.

I wonder what it would be like if WWE could sign her brothers (one of them can't get into the US)

If anything it will be her Mom. They have mentioned her family enough but with Austin name dropping her Mom on the Network during the podcast she would probably be the one fans would "recognize" the most

I also took a break as folks don't seem to care. (Judging by responses). So we shall see how longer this soldiers on.

I have been this close numerous times in Xbox Live chat to asking why the fuck have you been lax in your WOTD duties.

This and the 70's Wrestling thread are important parts of my week.