DVDVR Message Board

That Pet Photos thread

MarcosLoura

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A little heartwarming story for Friday.  This is Allan:

FhDfJQtWYAAxAff?format=jpg&name=360x360

He got adopted from us 8 years ago, and got surrendered back to us last week because his person went to the hospital and is likely not coming home.  He's been, understandably, freaked out and has been hiding the entire time he's been with us.  This happens a lot with older cats who get surrendered and it sucks because it's hard to adopt out a cat who won't come out of hiding, so they spend even more time in a stressful situation.

But earlier this week a 71 year old lady who just lost her beloved cat and wasn't sure she wanted a new one saw his story on facebook and it broke her heart so today he goes to a loving home with someone willing to give him all the time he needs to get comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

But earlier this week a 71 year old lady who just lost her beloved cat and wasn't sure she wanted a new one saw his story on facebook and it broke her heart so today he goes to a loving home with someone willing to give him all the time he needs to get comfortable.

My mom decided a couple months ago she was tired of being pet-free and wanted a older cat. She got two about 8 years old. They were apparently owned by a family whose children constantly chased the cats and had them permanently terrified and hiding. My mom got them and has worked with them. They've gone from being invisible when she's awake to tearing around the house, playing, and climbing on her counters. It's been glorious. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Hope your wife is okay now, my friend xxx.

Thank, Paul.  She's still in a fair bit of pain but we're relieved to have her home so the cats and I can take care of her.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I made the decision to put down my boy next Monday. Time to face that he won't get better, and I don't want him to waste away more than he already has. 

But today I had to take my car in for a recall. The person told me it would take 3 hours and asked me if I wanted to wait, and I realized my brain is just utterly fried for decision-making right now. And I'm waiting on the car when I could spend that time with my stinky, fuzzy boy.

I'll try to be on-topic with some photos of him once I'm no longer feeling like crawling in the incinerator with him.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I made the decision to put down my boy next Monday. Time to face that he won't get better, and I don't want him to waste away more than he already has. 

But today I had to take my car in for a recall. The person told me it would take 3 hours and asked me if I wanted to wait, and I realized my brain is just utterly fried for decision-making right now. And I'm waiting on the car when I could spend that time with my stinky, fuzzy boy.

I'll try to be on-topic with some photos of him once I'm no longer feeling like crawling in the incinerator with him.

Sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is losing a family member. Take care xxx.

My sweet boy, Rocky, aka Rocketman, aka Big Fuzz, better known to everyone on Earth by his sobriquet, "Mister Jerkface", crossed the rainbow bridge this morning.  I couldn't have asked for a better boy. 

He started out as a real Carolina Reaper (which is fitting, since he was from South Carolina) of a kitty, and I had to put up with 2.5 months of his epic spiciness.  As often as not, I had to pick him up with an oven mitt to handle him at all.  And I thought, earnestly and angrily at the time, about tossing him back outside, because it was so frustrating to try to socialize him and have him just turtle up and avoid me and everyone else who came into contact with him.

But, one day, I figured out the cheat code and gave him belly rubs.  By the next day, his demeanor went from Nuclear-Spicy to Sweet Bell Pepper: "Wait, you'll give me belly rubs whenever I want them?  Forever?  YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND DO THIS PLEASE."  Doofus.  He walked out of the room, tail in the air, imperious and acting like he'd always been a good boy.

He was a good boy, though.  I almost lost him to a UTI in 2016 (don't feed your cats Meow Mix ever, it's worse than trash), but he bounced back from that and we had 7 more years of his shoe molesting, foot fetishizing, and wanting to be fed an hour earlier than he knew he would get it. 

I don't know when I'll stop rolling over in bed and reaching out for him with a foot to give him a little rub, since I spent so long expecting him to be there.  Maybe never.

Here he is a few years ago, being a seat thief.  He was good at that, too.

17y0pcnpx6bb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

IMG-20230313-135032039-2.jpg

I don't venture into this folder often, so though I'm late to the 'party' I want to make sure I offer my belated condolences to both you guys @The Naturaland @Contentious C

I am unfortunately here for the same reason - my IRL people are probably tired of hearing about it already, but I had to put my boy down last night. Mouth cancer that spread to the eye. Most cats only make it 10 days to two weeks after diagnosis, and this badass little fucker gave us over two months. He was gonna be 10 on 8/1 - had a little 'party' the night before last, and gave him almost every treat and can of tuna in the house.

Rest in Power, Lucky Boy!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

IMG-20230313-135032039-2.jpg

I don't venture into this folder often, so though I'm late to the 'party' I want to make sure I offer my belated condolences to both you guys @The Naturaland @Contentious C

I am unfortunately here for the same reason - my IRL people are probably tired of hearing about it already, but I had to put my boy down last night. Mouth cancer that spread to the eye. Most cats only make it 10 days to two weeks after diagnosis, and this badass little fucker gave us over two months. He was gonna be 10 on 8/1 - had a little 'party' the night before last, and gave him almost every treat and can of tuna in the house.

Rest in Power, Lucky Boy!

Thanks for the condolences and I'm here to offer my own. Sorry for your loss, mate. We lost Rayven to cancer, a really rare one. Rayven was diagnosed in May 2021, she somehow made her sixth birthday in August 2021 and we lost her at the start of September 2021. Out of all the animals we've had, I love them all but she was my favourite by far. Love and miss the Rayven so much.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for the condolences and I'm here to offer my own. Sorry for your loss, mate. We lost Rayven to cancer, a really rare one. Rayven was diagnosed in May 2021, she somehow made her sixth birthday in August 2021 and we lost her at the start of September 2021. Out of all the animals we've had, I love them all but she was my favourite by far. Love and miss the Rayven so much.

Thanks man. I LOVE the name Rayven, btw. Six!!! And I thought 9 was young to go. All my best to you and everyone who loved her.

• Thanks 1

Since this is 'That Pet Photos thread' and not the 'Depress The Shit Out of Everyone thread' I thought I'd lighten the mood a bit: this is Lucky's partner-in-crime, Keith.

They had a very Owens/Zayn-esque relationship, fighting mainly about food (you can tell from the pic who won those rounds) or whoever felt that my girlfriend was, in fact, their girlfriend that day (they both love her to pieces) but they called a truce in the end - very bittersweet!

Fun fact: Keith was originally named Sprinkles by my best friend's four year old nieces.

Less fun fact: I need to vacuum these f'n floors

IMG-20230720-211020836.jpg

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Thanks man. I LOVE the name Rayven, btw. Six!!! And I thought 9 was young to go. All my best to you and everyone who loved her.

Thank you very much. I came up with Rayven's name. Six is way too young and so unfair. Here are some of my favourite pictures of Rayven:

12247722_10153221027453862_7446158960862

Rayven's Gotcha Day. 9th October 2015.

15068971_10154050413508862_5509156235383

18th March 2016.

38135340_10155815117708862_3896779052626

9th April 2018.

71928227_10156758352253862_7298206461715

9th January 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We fostered a dog on Tuesday and the fucker attacked Offy today. Thankfully Offy is ok. My Dad and Sister have puncture wounds to their hands. I couldn't get into the room to help. Could have been so much worse. Bad as is. The dog's been taken away and put down. Can't have it be a danger to anybody else. When I saw the size and breed of, I raised an eyebrow, so did my Dad. It's the first time we've ever had a biting dog. We've been lucky with Tess, Rayven, Ralfie and Offy. Trying to get today out of my mind but easier said than done. Please keep to here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 2