DVDVR Message Board

KING OF TRIOS 2015

The 16 team lineup for the King of Trios tournament on 9/4 to 9/6 in Easton, PA for CHIKARA Pro

A.J. Styles & Young Bucks

Drago & Fenix & Aero Star

MK McKinnna & Trent & Tyler Bate

A team from the U.K.

Stevie Richards & Nova (Mike Bucci) & Blue Meanie bringing back the BWO

Blaster McMassive & Flex Rumblecrunch & Max Smashmaster

Dasher Hatfield & Icarus & Mr. Touchdown

Eddie Kingston & Ophidian & Shynron

Juan Francisco & Mr. Azerbaijan & Boar of Moldova

Chuck Taylor & Drew Gulak & Swamp Monster

Jakob Hammermeier & Soldier Ant & Nokken

Amasis & Fire Ant & Worker Ant

Frightmare & Silver Ant & Hallowicked

Oleg the Usurper & The Batri

Kimber Lee & Los Ice Creams

Kevin Kondron& Missile Assault & Lucas Calhoun

Of course it's on my anniversary weekend. Jerk faces.

I went to the one in 2008 where the Soul Touchaz basically tore the place down and went from no one knowing who they were to everyone begging them to come back.

Has MK McKenna ever had a good match in his life? Because I've seen him be embarrassingly terrible in like 3 different American companies but he keeps getting flown in for some reason. Trent 7 is kinda bad too but MK is super glaring...

The 16 team lineup for the King of Trios tournament on 9/4 to 9/6 in Easton, PA for CHIKARA Pro

A.J. Styles & Young Bucks

Drago & Fenix & Aero Star

MK McKinnna & Trent & Tyler Bate

A team from the U.K.

Stevie Richards & Nova (Mike Bucci) & Blue Meanie bringing back the BWO

Blaster McMassive & Flex Rumblecrunch & Max Smashmaster

Dasher Hatfield & Icarus & Mr. Touchdown

Eddie Kingston & Ophidian & Shynron

Juan Francisco & Mr. Azerbaijan & Boar of Moldova

Chuck Taylor & Drew Gulak & Swamp Monster

Jakob Hammermeier & Soldier Ant & Nokken

Amasis & Fire Ant & Worker Ant

Frightmare & Silver Ant & Hallowicked

Oleg the Usurper & The Batri

Kimber Lee & Los Ice Creams

Kevin Kondron& Missile Assault & Lucas Calhoun

so who are the favourites to win?

I figure that Bullet Club, the Dev Corp (2014 KOT), and the Hatfield/Touchdown/Icarus team are pretty favored. The AAA team might get far afield as well.

There has been so much hype around the Dev Corp repeating that I think they get to the finals but lose. I have no idea whom they lose to, as I don't really see a face team that can realistically win. Maybe Oleg and the Batiri to pay off the Oleg/Bakabella thing a little bit, but that seems like a pretty crappy winner. I think a heel team has to win to push the storyline stuff forward, as this has been a really wrestling heavy season with almost no story stuff. Generally Chikara does the big bad every other year, so we might see some seeds planted at KoT.

As someone who hates 95% of Chikara is there anything worth watching this year? Any good Kingston matches?

I like a lot of Chikara, but I would say that nothing I've seen has really stood out. I remember a sequence with Kingston and Jaka were they were just taking turns trying to kill each other, but I think it was part of an awful atomicos match that I wouldn't recommend. 

Has MK McKenna ever had a good match in his life? Because I've seen him be embarrassingly terrible in like 3 different American companies but he keeps getting flown in for some reason. Trent 7 is kinda bad too but MK is super glaring...

I know nothing about these guys, but I'm going to assume their involvement in trios is in some way linked to the UK tour.

The other team UK with Andrews & Dunne is a far better team and would probably have been in anyway.

Aren't the AAA guys booked elsewhere the next night? In Canada?

I am assuming you are referencing IWS - who did announced that Fenix and Drago would be working their 9/5 show at the beginning of July

Of course they have no other info about that card but that (at least on their website)

This should easily be better than last year's tournament ESPECIALLY if they eliminate some deadweight in R1. Granted I'm still concerned that we see BWO make it to R2 cause ECW NOSTALGIA RUNNIN' WILD ON YA BABY! 

Non-Chikky teams are better than last year and teams like DevCorp, Snake/Dragon/King, Team WICKED, and Dasher's "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad" could really help this tournament feel like something worth watching. Kinda disappointing that despite wrestlers I liked back in 2012 they haven't been able to make any cards that seem to reflect any of that talent. Hopefully King of Trios can be a lil' bit of a window into a bygone era of Chikara. 

It puzzles me that they went with randomized teams for the season-long Challenge of the Immortals, as that seemed to dilute the anticipation for KOT. It's odd to not have the Portal, the Arcane Horde (UMB/ Batiri stylee), or the ants together. Plus, that could have opened up opportunities for other surprises.

There's always the other side attractions though, like the tag gauntlet and the Rey de Voladingos. Plus whoever Hallowicked will defend his title against. I'd love a one-off 'wicked vs. Tozawa match.

I once saw McKinnan have a good match with Marty Scurll, but I think that was main due to Marty being great. Not been impressed with him the other times a I've seen him

To be honest, the best part of that team is Tyler Bate. He's only just turned 18, but he's phenomenal. Super strong, great look, real natural charisma, can brawl or fly with the rest of them...he feels like a nailed-on star