DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Notwithstanding that this sort of sexist drivel is dumb no matter who says it, Greg Valentine saying this is extra funny because I always thought him to be a waste of space every time he was on screen. I know most folks like his work, but to me, this dude has no room to talk about other wrestlers not being watchable.

Valentine was great. You are literately the first person have ever seen say he was less than good.

Um, I'd think anybody who'd seen him wrestle in the past 25 years would also say he's the shits.

The fact that I loved Greg the Hammer as a kid made it doubly sucky to meet him and have him act like a dick. Twice.

I made you WWF Champion five minutes after getting home from Tous R Us with you Hammer! I never hotshotted the title onto someone faster! You made Ric Flair tap to your version of the figure four!

I call bullshit on this. Guys were still submitting the good old-fashioned "DO YOU GIVE? aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhh......YES!!!!!!!" way when Flair pussed out to the Sharpshooter like an old lady to lose the WWF Title.

Re: Valentine.

I wasn't a big fan of him growing up.  My first exposure to him was 1/2 of the Dream Team with Beefcake followed by a lof of forgettable WWF nonsense (Rhythm and Blues) and going back to WCW as a glorified jobber.  I was kind of aware of his career in the territories but hadn't seen much of it for myself.  It wasn't until the mid-90's that I started seeing a lot of his 70's/early 80''s stuff in Mid-Atlantic and WWWF and really became a fan.

I was kinda excited when I got the chance to meet Hammer in the mid-00's.  A tiny indy called Pro Wrestling Ohio booked Valentine a number of times.  I got involved with PWO in a minor capacity and attended a couple shows and tv tapings as a fan as well.  So I got to meet Hammer several times.

If you guessed that he was a dick, pat yourself on the back.  Cause, yeah, he was.  I wasn't especially surprised.  Hammer was in terrible shape, looked unhealthy, had an absurd bleach blonde mullet that even Ricky Morton would think looked awful on a man his age, and generally struck me as a guy who had done way too much hard living on the road,  Still, you'd like to think the guy who broke Wahoo's leg would be interesting to talk to about the territorial days, or act somewhat grateful that he was getting paying bookings at his age solely because he had been a name 20 years earlier.  But, no, complete jackass.

As an aside, I don't really get the nostalgia act thing.  I've been involved with a few indys that brought in old guys and, yeah, they draw a crowd so it may be worth it.  But guys like Neidhart, Valentine, Eaton, etc. shouldn't be wrestling.  There are a few older guys who have kept themselves in shape - the Barbarian always looked great when I've seen him - but most of the legends I've seen were too broken down, too out of shape, or just too disinterested to do much in the ring or be entertaining.  For every guy like Barbarian or even Jerry Lawler, who took care of himself and can still go in the ring, there are 10 Valentines or Honkeytonk Men.

PWO actually gave their tag team belt to Valentine and Jim Neidhart.  This was... 2007 or so.  Yeah.... That's a team that should scare no one.  Hulk Hogan looks more able to take a bump than either of those two.

Now Ronnie Garvin was the real head-scratcher as a kid if you got into wrestling in the summer of 1990 and you were renting every WWF Pay-Per-View you could find only to see this dude get chumped out constantly but read in the Apter mags that this guy had actually beat Flair for the title not too long ago. Then you later learn how Vince viewed most of these guys as nothing more than interchangeable regional scrub fuckers if their star hadn't risen under his banner.

So, have we cast the Bobby Riggs in this Battle of the Sexes angle yet?

If this isn't a job for Damien Sandow, I don't know what is.

I'd opt more towards a guy that is way more past his prime, like Riggs was. Unfortunately, guys like Curt Hennig and Roddy Piper aren't available for such a role.

Chris Jericho comes to mind as somebody that could dedicate himself to being an on-screen misoygnist.

I get your point, and Jericho crossed my mind as well. But I was more thinking guys on the current roster who weren't doing anything. 

If this didn't directly involve his daughter, Flair would be the absolute perfect choice. 

I've never understood why sexists want women to be barefoot. The other shit about cooking and cleaning is just horrible obviously, but the barefoot thing I don't even get.

It's so they can't run away.

If that were the case, they would wear cowboy boots. /seinfeld

• Like 1

I remember being blown away when Orton busted out the Garvin Stomp. I mean, I rank that right up there with the Claw in terms of shitty pre-90s signature moves. Stomping somebody repeatedly? Bad-ass. Walking slowly around someone and stomping them in various places while they don't move? Boring and near-619 levels of business-exposing.

The fact that I loved Greg the Hammer as a kid made it doubly sucky to meet him and have him act like a dick. Twice.

I made you WWF Champion five minutes after getting home from Tous R Us with you Hammer! I never hotshotted the title onto someone faster! You made Ric Flair tap to your version of the figure four!

I call bullshit on this. Guys were still submitting the good old-fashioned "DO YOU GIVE? aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhh......YES!!!!!!!" way when Flair pussed out to the Sharpshooter like an old lady to lose the WWF Title.

Damn...you're right...nobody tapped then...you kinda just blew my mind.

I remember being blown away when Orton busted out the Garvin Stomp. I mean, I rank that right up there with the Claw in terms of shitty pre-90s signature moves. Stomping somebody repeatedly? Bad-ass. Walking slowly around someone and stomping them in various places while they don't move? Boring and near-619 levels of business-exposing.

Excuse me?  The Claw was awesome, especially when executed by a heel wearing a black glove.

• Like 4

Did anyone like Dino Bravo? Man, I used to fast-forward Dino Bravo matches like a mofo.

Plus he almost killed Bret Hart. And he had ties to the mob.

The most interesting thing about Dino Bravo was his death. Getting killed by some Canadian mob b/c he double crossed them on cigarette smuggling. That's a story I'd like to know more about.

I saw a Rick Martel shoot interview and he goes into some detail about Bravo's murder.

I get your point, and Jericho crossed my mind as well. But I was more thinking guys on the current roster who weren't doing anything. 

If this didn't directly involve his daughter, Flair would be the absolute perfect choice. 

If Tully Blanchard weren't all about Jesus now he would be perfect. Hell, could be a good way to get his daughter Tessa into NXT. I think the problem though is there is no one on the roster (at least from this generation) who are willing to go to the depths it would take to be a real misoginist asshole. If he were alive, Larry Sweeney would be perfect for it.

• Like 1

There should be some parody act dude on the indies calling himself Craig "The Stammer" Ballentine on a one-man crusade to run women out of the industry. He never beats....err defeats any of the ladies he wrestles because he's such a stinking drunken ass that he always applies the figure four wrong and gets pinned by an inside cradle.

• Like 1

If Tully Blanchard weren't all about Jesus now he would be perfect. Hell, could be a good way to get his daughter Tessa into NXT. I think the problem though is there is no one on the roster (at least from this generation) who are willing to go to the depths it would take to be a real misoginist asshole. If he were alive, Larry Sweeney would be perfect for it.

Well, there's also different ways to play a true misogynist asshole for the current era, and change it to what makes a man a misogynist in 2015 as well as in prior ages.

Maybe there's not a classic one, but is there someone who could be a great modern-day misogynist asshole? WOO WOO WOO, You Know It.

I've never understood why sexists want women to be barefoot. The other shit about cooking and cleaning is just horrible obviously, but the barefoot thing I don't even get.

It's so they can't run away.

If that were the case, they would wear cowboy boots. /seinfeld

Give me sundresses and cowboy boots, or give me death! Well, not me personally, but... All right, me personally. Fine. Why not.

• Like 2

Looking at the NXT tour. Not an expert on the geography of the UK...isn't the lineup of the shows in terms of travel kinda...fucky? They go from Blackpool to Cardiff to London in like four days...

I mean...I know WWE thinks everything in the UK is 30 minutes away from everything else but God damn.