DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 PHOTO THREAD!

DEAN

08051335_55c1929174a5a.jpg

Here we see Nakamura appearing to have a stroke. For the record it is some kind of male gravure idol book for women. Could have chosen a better image. In the end I'm sure he ends up making out with himself if I've learned anything from Japan. I believe the term they're using is Moe. Look it up.

Random but I'm surprised WCW never paid the singer Sting a ton of money to make a one-off appearance as a member of the nWo. I realize that they had Jeff Farmer doing the fake Sting bit but you'd think that they couldn't resist a cheap "STING JOINS THE NWO!" joke. 

For some reason that Nakamura pic reminds me of a Mac Dre/Hyphy album cover. The text on the cover actual translates as GET HYPHY~! . 

Six Man Tag with Sumers and Copeland involved you'd want to save that name for the team finisher

Umm, they'd probably turn on each other before the match even starts. The Police had a history of in-fighting with each other. Not just arguing each other either, actual physical altercations. Think it was more so Sting & Copeland. I think it's in the doc they did, or probably from an old Concert move. "Don't stand so close to me" was probably a code word they used on stage so they didn't punch each other out :lol: "Message in a bottle" was how they communicated with each other. 

I've actually never seen that match but the Abdullah-Zeus match is a classic (in its own way).

Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus - WWC 7/7/90 [by RIPPA]

Rummaging through my old unlabelled CDs, I found three discs of wrestling downloads from when the Matches folder first went up, which was like four or five years ago. One of the matches was labeled "Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus". Like any sane human I thought "well that clearly isn't right". Of course, who ever uploaded this match hates me and the Baby Jesus because they made it a .rm file. (Just for the record - I am blaming Doug Corti until otherwise notified.) After cursing YouTube for not having it (I mean, fuck, you recommend me 424 different Test matches just because the guy died but not one fucking person would be like "If I put Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus up, I so can get more hits that the Don’t Tase Me Guy or the new Simpsons opening or whatever the fuck the kids watch these days". I bite the bullet and download Real Alternative... again, which I am sure will crash my ITunes... again. Unlike when Meltzer says now in the Observer "No, not THAT Zeus" when referring to the Zeus who shows up in Hustle, I totally mean THAT Zeus. As in Tiny Lister, President of the Universe, Zeus. The interwebs tell me that it is from the 1990 WWC Anniversary show so we will go with that. Sometimes bad wrestling makes you feel oh so good. This is one of those times. Zeus does three things in this match - a bear hug, unintentional shoot headbutts and the worst punch/overhead smash strike you will ever see. The best way I could describe them is a guy in need of bifocals on a bad acid trip trying to fend off the wolf spiders. There is also Abby choking himself which is all sorts of great because Zeus isn't capable of figuring out how to apply a choke. Man, Abdullah must have felt all sorts of bad for Zeus since he does his darndest to make him look good. And of course since this is Puerto Rico and Abby there is blood. Mind you - it would be hard for him not too between the aforementioned shoot headbutts and the fact that Abby thought "I have a good idea. I will let Tiny stab me with my own pencil!" Zeus is gassed two minutes which makes me feel better about myself since I know that back in 1990 I had better cardio that Lister. For all intents and purposes this is an enjoyable, amazingly sloppy 10 minute brawl which is totally made by Abby going "Okay, Fuck It. Let's see where this goes." Of course, it ends in a no contest/double countout as Zeus had to be protected and... well... it is an Abdullah the Butcher match.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/dvdvr/dvdvr168.html

• Like 4

For some reason that Nakamura pic reminds me of a Mac Dre/Hyphy album cover. The text on the cover actual translates as GET HYPHY~! . 

Six Man Tag with Sumers and Copeland involved you'd want to save that name for the team finisher

Umm, they'd probably turn on each other before the match even starts. The Police had a history of in-fighting with each other. Not just arguing each other either, actual physical altercations. Think it was more so Sting & Copeland. I think it's in the doc they did, or probably from an old Concert move. "Don't stand so close to me" was probably a code word they used on stage so they didn't punch each other out :lol: "Message in a bottle" was how they communicated with each other. 

Oh I know the history of violence involving members of The Police. It even tops the openvioence between Daltrey and Townsend in the 70s

James

Rippa's review made me rewatch it. This match is so bad I cracked up like a lunatic. It's probably the only time a Puerto Rican crowd has not thrown shit at the wrestlers because they hated the heel, but because they absolutely stunk. I love Tiny Lister but he has the best look for wrestling and the worst wrestling ability of all time.