DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

Roddy main evented the first live show I went to in the Meadowlands on 11/9/86 against Bob Orton. The spot I remember best from that is Bob bouncing off the ropes for a fist or knee drop and Roddy countering by putting his fist straight up in the air.

Time to put on your air brushed black panther t shirt.

• Like 1

I used to do the wrestling convention circuit years back, even bringing in about a dozen or so people for autographs. I probably met and got my picture taken with hundreds of wrestlers and NO ONE showed the warmth, gracefulness, and happiness that Roddy Piper did. He greeted each person who was there to meet him as if they were long lost friends who hadn't seen each other in years. It didn't reek of fakeness because he was being paid to be there, he seemed genuinely excited to see each new person as they worked down the line.

• Like 3

Terrible to lose another one of the greats. Was hoping it would end up not true. RIP Hot Rod.

Piper/Bret was always my fav match of his, will be watching that in a bit.

Always still enjoyed his later appearances, especially the Piper's Pit with Cena/Barrett/Orton back in 2010.

Piper was better in ring than he gets credit for, and that's in all sorts of various eras. I loved his punch drunk comeback more than any other "hulk up" style comeback and he has probably the best match of 1980

And one of my favorite matches of 1990 (and I am not a guy who is at all high on Hennig's WWF run):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaejk9_roddy-piper-vs-mr-perfect-ic-title_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaek3g_roddy-piper-vs-mr-perfect-ic-title_sport

• Like 4

This was probably the first Rowdy Roddy Piper thing I ever encountered, and I still listen to it from time to time. It's a remake of the song 'The World May Not Like Me' and the word 'For' is nonsensically substituted for a certain other F-word and the word 'ass' is replaced by 'trash' (I remember being confused as to why he would want someone to "kiss my trash") and it would be more awesome if he'd sang the original. But it's still awesome, so RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper.

If you listen closely he sneaks in a 'fuck' or two.

One of my favourite Piper memories is from a random house show, probably in 1991 or so. I don't remember the match, but Piper was the guest referee. At the end of the match, Piper called for the bell for the heel touching him or something like that. I don't think it was the planned finish because the time keeper didn't ring the bell. Piper stared the guy down and yelled "Ring the FUCKING bell!!" The whole crowd "Oooooooooooo"'d and then broke out in laughter because that was totally unheard of at the time. Heck, still is. One of my favorite house show memories of all time.

Of all the guys that didnt get a run at the top with the WWE Title, Piper will always be my #1. He could have taken the belt anytime in the 80's and right through to the mid 90's.

How cool would a Piper v "Crazy" Backland title match have been on a random In Your House show back in the day?

I can just see Piper and Dream rolling through the pearly gates to answer the challenge of Owen and Eddie... They are stealing the show from the Yoko v Warrior main event.

God damn this sucks.....

Hogan claims the only reason Roddy didn't get a title run was his unwillingness to lose.

Of all the guys that didnt get a run at the top with the WWE Title, Piper will always be my #1. He could have taken the belt anytime in the 80's and right through to the mid 90's.

How cool would a Piper v "Crazy" Backland title match have been on a random In Your House show back in the day?

I can just see Piper and Dream rolling through the pearly gates to answer the challenge of Owen and Eddie... They are stealing the show from the Yoko v Warrior main event.

God damn this sucks.....

Hogan claims the only reason Roddy didn't get a title run was his unwillingness to lose.

Ever the reliable source, that Hogan.

• Like 3

Obviously Hogan is in the news right now for all the wrong reasons, but what Piper said in his promo at Halloween Havoc '96 was pretty much a shoot: without crazy-ass Piper, there would have been no one for people to pay to see get beat up by Hogan. Piper really was, and will always be, an icon in his own right. Even as a babyface in WCW (I'm only 27 so for better, or worse, that was my first exposure) there was still a sense of danger when he picked up a mic-- which, because I was so young, is something I didn't really notice until years later, I think maybe because Raw was so hot at the time and they were going nuts with Austin and the "attitude" stuff. But I always LOVED that no matter their alignment, it felt like Piper/Hogan was some sort of Hatfield/McCoy blood feud, be it the WWF in the 80s, WCW in the 90s, or that AWESOME surprise comeback by Piper with the lead pipe during the Hogan/Vince match at Mania.

• Like 1