DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I still get the occasional invite to race Down the Drain or the prison race or The Commute, but not very often. Most of the invites I get are for people doing missions.

Practically all I did starting out was race - I'd race The Commute for hours at a time. When they lowered the money, it felt like too much of a hassle for what they were paying out, especially in races that are even the slightest bit of trouble, like races with the traffic turned on or GTA races. 

Now that I've got plenty of money (unless I do something stupid like buy a tank), I still have no desire to race. I think it's just burnout from grinding races so much when I was starting out. Maybe since the money was flowing so freely at the start when racing, everybody grinded races too much and are now burned out.

Hopped into a mission that required a 70 rank and my level-12 character wasn't booted from it. Ended up only two off of the highest kill count on the team for the mission. I made $12,500 when regular missions for my rank makes 10% of that.

The rich get richer in GTA V.

I've also been punching everything that moves, when I'm not stealth power-walking everywhere, in an effort to get my Strength and Stealth to 100%. I get shot way too much to have low strength.

I would have a fancy house near the beach and a garage full of bikes if that were true.

I would also spend 90% of my sessions putting bounties on people and watching the poor chase after those scraps. Then anyone and everyone would be sniped upon successful competition of said bounty, and robbed.

I'd also get a fancy boat; scuba gear, and would spend my mornings chasing and punching sharks.

Edit: Today was my one guaranteed slow workday, and effing PSN is down all day for maintenance, so I can't play. Fuuuuuuuu!

I have won a Triathalon, two golf games, and two games of darts while waiting for Betta Pharm's stock to peak.  The cheating guides say wait until the stock price reaches 80%, but it was only in the 30's when I paused my game and went to work.  The ROI is above 40, so I may just sell to make a quick profit if the price doesn't go up after another game day.

Looks like I've baffled the social club by adding a second character.  Happened to look on there today, and it's got my score at almost 6.8 million.  It's about tripled what I've really got, and done the same with time played too.  Too bad I'm not getting credited with that in-game.

Curious if that has happened to others as well

I have won a Triathalon, two golf games, and two games of darts while waiting for Betta Pharm's stock to peak. The cheating guides say wait until the stock price reaches 80%, but it was only in the 30's when I paused my game and went to work. The ROI is above 40, so I may just sell to make a quick profit if the price doesn't go up after another game day.

Try going to sleep a few times. If it is after business hours or the weekend in the game, the market prices won't change.

I have won a Triathalon, two golf games, and two games of darts while waiting for Betta Pharm's stock to peak. The cheating guides say wait until the stock price reaches 80%, but it was only in the 30's when I paused my game and went to work. The ROI is above 40, so I may just sell to make a quick profit if the price doesn't go up after another game day.

Try going to sleep a few times. If it is after business hours or the weekend in the game, the market prices won't change.

Bah, just like in real life.  It figures.  I think I kacked the Bilkington CEO on a Friday afternoon in game and it may be the middle of the weekend in my current save.  I'll just take the opportunity to work on everyone's weak stats.

New update.

MOST importantly, you can now run in your apartment.

THANK FUCKING CHRIST!

Seriously. As someone who has it set so I spawn in my apartment to avoid waking up in a tank battle, this is, if not the most annoying thing about online, a close second behind randomly getting kicked off of jobs.

Rockstar's post on the patch: http://bit.ly/19zNTfq

My favorite, for some reason: "Holdup Shopkeepers now have access to Ammu-Nation. You have been warned."

I think no charge for passive mode is a good move. It makes it easier to put on passive mode if you're anal about constantly banking your cash, which will help if you're in a spot. 

And I've always gotten $2,000 at a time for being a good sport.

Being able to run in my apartment means I'll stop avoiding the place like the plague.

Another plus - the new patch somehow magically fixed my strength on my primary character.  The previous patch dropped it from max to the default number.  Now it's back without me doing anything to improve it.

Got kinda bored tonight and thought I'd buy the $2,000 bicycle and ride it around town and see what happens. What happens is you're basically wearing a gigantic neon sign that says "everybody shoot me!" 

I read online that bikes are indestructable, but another player blew mine up and the game said it was destroyed. I'll have to see if it turns up somewhere. Getting the bicycle out of the impound lot after it got seized by the police during a tangle with another player isn't a fun experience.

Now I wanna spend 10 G's on a road bike and get my smug on.

Holy crap I missed so much in my first playthrough. So far I haven't bothered to check the alternative routes for the Heist missions. Turns out you get completely different missions (some are more eventful than the other). Also did the Epsilon missions. Wearing the ropes for 10 days straight and walking 5 miles in the desert were fucking tedious. Did get 2.5 million out of it (although not on my first try, got suckered into getting a rusty old tractor).

Legit laughed out loud with Trevor and the real estate agent.

I guess I need to find when some of you play to see what I'm missing online.

I've played a little bit and cannot seem to get into the online mode. I'm guessing that the public pairings are just ruining things.

I'm just happy that the patch fixed the Combat section in the Pause menu.  Now if they would only let Franklin play Tennis.

I won my second triathalon this morning with Franklin and may try the last one after I max out his Strength.  Darts, Golf, fistfights just aren't providing the quick stat boost I'd like them to. The 1.06 patch took away the ability to boost your strength by punching vehicles in GTA:O and it looks like it transferred to Story Mode..

One five set epic tennis match would square Franklin's strength away and I'd never have to play sports in game ever again.

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much since I got my first Eagle (on Hole 7 no less) while playing Golf with Franklin.

I also ran across the Rogue Altruists random encounter.  Two naked guys pinning down a blonde on the side of the road?   I can't let that pass, man.  The question that needs to be asked is where were those assholes hiding the pistols they used to shoot at me when I got out of my car?  The SPS Pistol from the Beach Bum Pack has some serious stopping power at close range.

I had Michael call up Amanda.  I was sorta hoping to get the dialogue where Amanda tells you that her tennis coach has fled town, but I got the option to hang out with her instead, so I had them go to the Movies (The Loneliest Robot In Great Britain is fucking twisted.) and then get their drink on at Bahama Mama's.  It is sad that their marriage is so fucked up.

I got a Fellzer up to 193 MPH!  Holy shit!

Yama Sakura 65 wraps up this morning, so I am back on a normal human being's work schedule and I will be on vacation starting the 18th.  I have a lot of catching up to do and a lot of work and holiday stress to bleed off, so I will be on the 360 as often as I can.  I was on long enough last night to FINALLY get to Rank 40 with my GTA:O thug after a couple rounds of golf.

I guess I need to find when some of you play to see what I'm missing online.

I've played a little bit and cannot seem to get into the online mode. I'm guessing that the public pairings are just ruining things.

There are private rooms and friends-only rooms, but (sorta) half the fun of the game is dealing with the complete chaos all around you. If I'm on and a crew member is being given shit, if I notice it, I'm there. At least it'll give them someone new to shoot at while you slink away.

Weird tip I got from a GTA friend I made online - if you honk your horn like crazy (hold the damn thing down) at people as you pass by them, it's universally taken as a sign that "I'm not gonna screw with you, so don't screw with me." It's worked about 90 percent of the time.

I've found lately that the worst people are the ones who live in your apartment building with you and have a good opportunity to give you grief as you're leaving or entering and they're entering or leaving. It's also common sense to stay away from areas that are thick with other human players, 'cause the chances are good they're fighting it out. For example, if I wanna go to Los Santos Customs to sell off a car and I notice there's two or three players hovering near it, I assume they're fighting and head to another LSC location instead.

My next "can it be done?": I wanna ride a bike from my apartment in Del Perro to Sandy Shores via the shoreline in the Western part of the map.

I've found lately that the worst people are the ones who live in your apartment building with you and have a good opportunity to give you grief as you're leaving or entering and they're entering or leaving.

I keep an up-armored Mammoth in my garage for the purpose or running over players that grief me at my apartment. Some guys have grenades and sticky bombs though. Can't win 'em all.

I am going to invest in one of the armored personnel jeeps from Warstock if that shit keeps up.

I've found lately that the worst people are the ones who live in your apartment building with you and have a good opportunity to give you grief as you're leaving or entering and they're entering or leaving.

I keep an up-armored Mammoth in my garage for the purpose or running over players that grief me at my apartment. Some guys have grenades and sticky bombs though. Can't win 'em all.

I am going to invest in one of the armored personnel jeeps from Warstock if that shit keeps up.

You've given me the idea to look into armoring up a really fast car so I can bounce around like a pinball at 2,000 mph without causing myself too much damage.

If your car is fast enough and you hit something hard enough, you'll still die, dude. :)

I was in my 40% armored Elegy and rear ended a car while I was doing about 170.   I went SHOOOOOOTING right through the windshield. I think I got the WASTED screen splash before I even hit the ground.

It was great!  Health care costs be damned!

I'm considering starting a second character so I can buy another garage so I can get a few more vehicles to putter around town in. I really want the scooter, and am insanely jealous of RUkered for having one.

Be jealous no more. I sold it because I wanted the Coquette and was out of garage space. I wasted a ton of money modding it out to the max, and I swear I think full speed on a bicycle would be faster.

I now have a couple of decently fast cars - the Coquette I mentioned and a Bullet - both modded as much as I can at my level. I thought I would be content with that, but I was in an xbox party with a crew member and another guy for a while last night. The other guy kept pulling cars out of his garage for me to drive around. I think I drove a Feltzer (?), and I know I drove a modded Entity. Needless to say, I'm now saving for an Entity. That thing handles like a dream even at four million miles an hour.

I have determined it's impossible for me to have any cash beyond 400k, which is gonna make getting that Entity pretty tough. Every time I get between 300-400k, I end up blowing it on car and weapon mods. Even stupid ones like putting a scope on a grenade launcher. Why in the hell is that even an option? It doesn't appear to even affect the performance of the weapon. But who's the idiot who bought it anyway? This guy.

My next "can it be done?": I wanna ride a bike from my apartment in Del Perro to Sandy Shores via the shoreline in the Western part of the map.

I can already tell you that it can't. There's parts where there's no sand between the rocks and the ocean. 

I now have a couple of decently fast cars - the Coquette I mentioned and a Bullet - both modded as much as I can at my level. I thought I would be content with that, but I was in an xbox party with a crew member and another guy for a while last night. The other guy kept pulling cars out of his garage for me to drive around. I think I drove a Feltzer (?), and I know I drove a modded Entity. Needless to say, I'm now saving for an Entity. That thing handles like a dream even at four million miles an hour.

I got an Adder cuz they're sexy, sexy cars, but when I need to get somewhere (or someone) in a hurry, the Entity is the only choice.

I have determined it's impossible for me to have any cash beyond 400k, which is gonna make getting that Entity pretty tough. Every time I get between 300-400k, I end up blowing it on car and weapon mods. Even stupid ones like putting a scope on a grenade launcher. Why in the hell is that even an option? It doesn't appear to even affect the performance of the weapon. But who's the idiot who bought it anyway? This guy.

Microtransactions are working now, so you if you're desperate, you could drop a tenner on it to make up the difference and have modding money left over.