DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Will Rockstar announce the radio stations ahead of time? Really hoping the Waylon Jennings song in the second trailer means we're getting "Classic Country" or "Outlaw Country" station (basically a country station that focuses on music from the era before Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Big & Rich, Travis Tritt, etc.) and absolutely no Daddy Yankee songs at all.

I dunno about country but there sure as hell better be a triumphant return for Radio Los Santos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKxv9Bpp-Y

K-Rose, from San Andreas, had an excellent playlist.

Even stuff I never cared for worked so well in the game that I wouldn't switch them off when they came on.

That, to me, is the beauty of the GTA series, i can drive around and do nothing but listen to shit on the radio and remember the good times. :)

Nothing like getting old...

A modern outlaw country station would rule, as modern outlaw/alternative country has been awesome for a good 15 years, though you'd never know it listening to the radio out here in the real world. Even if they do one they'll probably perpetuate the myth that country died in the 1970's since it's one of those things people kept saying until it just became accepted as true.

The further you get from Nashville the better the genre gets.

In San Andreas the stations I kept coming back to were K-Jah West and Master Sounds, both of which were really cool music to just drive around in. Master Sounds in particular has one of the strongest lineups they ever did, though K-Jah having Max Romeo and the Upsetters is pretty fucking great. Chase the Devil is such a great, great little song. I flipped between those two a ton. I'd flip onto K-DST hoping they'd be playing The Who - Eminence Front and then have to flip off because Rod Stewart was on instead.

The game seems almost quaint compared to Saints Row: The Third and Sleeping Dogs....about five minutes in, I keep hoping there's a way to kill Roman.

There is something almost carhartic in driving drunk and dumping Roman off of the back of your motorcycle on the way back from the bar.  He just lays there in the middle of the street groaning and writhing in pain. 

There is an option to turn off the ringer on your phone, which you will eventually want to do because Roman will be calling you every five minutes to go out and get a drink or play pool, and if you don't, his feelings get hurt and your approval rating with him goes down.

The whole girlfriend/friend mechanic in IV was one of the worst things they've done in the series.

There is an option to turn off the ringer on your phone, which you will eventually want to do because Roman will be calling you every five minutes to go out and get a drink or play pool, and if you don't, his feelings get hurt and your approval rating with him goes down.

The whole girlfriend/friend mechanic in IV was one of the worst things they've done in the series.

Which, after playing Sleeping Dogs, I'm surprised there weren't any missions/skills learned in having a date with Michelle. Stealing money from people, perhaps?

Michelle is more of a tutorial on the girlfriend/friend mechanic.  That's also one of my complaints with IV.  The first act is so slow.  There are way too many BS tutorial missions.  One thing I really like about the Episodes from Liberty City is that they go right into the action.  Hopefully V follows suit.  I'm sure there will be tutorial stuff around switching characters but I hope not much more than that.

I would also like the side missions to add tanigble rewards.  The stuff you got from friends in IV wasn't very useful for the most part.  I think if it added to your character's stats/abilities, more people would play the side stuff instead of doing it once or twice because it's required in a mission.  There are some open world games like Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs that are really good at that, so it shouldn't be a problem for GTA to incorporate something similar.

As for music, if K-DST comes back, I'd be cool with that.  I loved flying around listening to stuff like Freebird.  And it would be great to have custom soundtracks on PS3.

Little Jacob was the only friend whose perk I used frequently.

I think I used Packie's car bomb twice during missions and I think I used Dwayne's back-up once.  Brucie's helicopter service is useless because if you want a helicopter that badly, you can either go to the Heli-Tours place, shoot a pilot, and take a helicopter or steal one from the airport.

Roman's free taxi service blows if you are out on a date because the Indian cabbie will insult you and your Love% will suffer a slight hit.

This game needs to have perks like discounts on guns, faster heath regen, or damage resistance.

Little Jacob was a total bro, great dude. Packie's bombs were just for fun mayhem though and having to deal with the retarded San Andreas AI is making me miss those Dwayne thugs friends.

The homies in SA are pretty much useless.  They might help a bit when you are trying to take over territories by being a bullet sponge, but for those parts, you're better off just increasing your weapon skills so you can shoot more accurately at a greater distance.

Having your friends fight alongside of you in IV is pretty much the same, but at least they have some personality to them.  The Lost and Damned did address this somewhat by having your gang members have stats that went up the more you used them, but they were still not that great.  Saint's Row did the gang/posse mechanic much better.

Thing to do in San Andreas was actually bite the bullet and do the 100 spray tags in Los Santos some point early before gang war breaks out.

Ak-47 and Molotovs (maybe the best weapon in the game once you learn not to light yourself on fire) spawning at the Johnson house? Yes please.

Agreed that recruiting gang members was a waste of time except as bullet sponges. I also agree that GTA games need to cut down on the weight of tutorial missions. Almost everyone has played one of these things by now. We know that drive-bys are an option dudes. And even if you are new they still could introduce stuff at double the pace they do. I haven't played IV but San Andreas felt like it had about 15 tutorial missions introducing a single mechanic at a time. I remember when I first played GTA III I thought that tutorial mission where you put the bomb in the car and blow up the guy eating at St. Mark's Bistro was the greatest shit, but that was a million years ago. Now it's just a training mission where you kill time until you get to the second island and the game gets hard.

I would also like the side missions to add tanigble rewards.  The stuff you got from friends in IV wasn't very useful for the most part.  I think if it added to your character's stats/abilities, more people would play the side stuff instead of doing it once or twice because it's required in a mission.  There are some open world games like Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs that are really good at that, so it shouldn't be a problem for GTA to incorporate something similar.

That's stuff's really there for the OCD players who have to have 100% completion.  I liked how one of the achievements for GTIV was that you had to kill a Rockstar developer in a multiplayer match.  They should stick in some really tedious, annoying tasks that are not necessary to finish the main story.

Maybe something like a "Make It Rain" achievement where  you have to go to a strip club and get a lap dance for 50 consecutive songs but you have to tip the stripper after every song so you can't leave the game running and come back later.

I keep hoping there's a way to kill Roman.

One of the biggest turn-offs of part 4 for me was how insanely irritating the NPCs were: Roman, Brucie, Manny, Elizabeta, Packie, and Derrick were just so over the top in their stereotypes/obnoxiousness that I'm sure I wasn't the only one cheering when Manny got a bullet in his head.

They kind of lampshade it in "Gay Tony" with Luis constantly criticizing Mori and Brucie for how irritating they are to have to listen to yammering on and on.