DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I don't necessarily mind being sent to juvie for blowing up cars (sort of), but I do think they should make allowances when cars are basically used as attack vehicles, like the armored Kuruma and the Insurgent. They should also make an allowance for the old Zentorno "back up and shoot you" trick. You shouldn't be penalized for defending yourself.

I was straining to think of Moongirl's name the other day. She'd just kinda breeze in randomly and back out randomly, always on that motorcycle, always kicking ass. I hated she quit playing GTA, because I'm always fond of people better than me being on my side. Makes things easier.

I still think it's a mix of blowing up cars, and people complaining to Rockstar on how people end up in bad sport.  I've had nights where I blew up 15 personal vehicles and still got the good boy bonus.

The night before I got sent to bad sport was a bad one for blowing up cars.  Stout and I ended up surrounded at the Mors Mutual site for a long time, and we took out a bunch of cars when folks came back to reclaim em.  Got on the next night and immediately ran into two guys coming out of Eclipse towers.  They ate a sticky bomb, and then I went off shooting dots.  Couple minutes after that I was wearing a dunce cap.

I still blow up cars on a pretty regular basis, and haven't been sent back since.  My criteria for taking out somebody's car now are1, will it help me out, especially if they're in a Kuruma or some such and 2, will I find it funny.  If either of those criteria is met, the car's gotta go.

My biggest problem now is putting a proximity mine on a vehicle hoping the owner will come back, but that hardly ever works because the NPCs and cops trigger them first. I think it's a combo of cars and people whining about you, and everyone knows the deal with the game by now and knows passive's more robust when it comes to escaping griefers, so no one reports anyone for just being an asshole anymore.

The proxy toss onto someone's car is ruined because they can just request their vehicle from the inventory menu, deleting your bomb. 

re: blowing up cars/BS 

You need to get roughly 30-35 in a single session. It is easy to do if you're determined, and are a lazy shit with nothing to do that day. VIP Mode helps out a lot. When I went in, I still had my normal plan of the proxy glitch, RPGing all of my victim's cars after killing them, and utilizing the on-the-spot Buzzard via VIP. 

Believe me, not everyone thinks of doing that. I got someone yesterday by putting a mine on their motorcycle.

It doesn't work often, but it's funny as hell when it works, and that's all that matters. Kinda like an airstrike. Works probably 1 out of 100 times, but is just funny as hell when it works.

Oh, and even on my worst day, I probably never hit 30-35 vehicles in a session, especially with 16 in a room on the 360. It's gotta be a combo of blown-up cars and getting reported for being an asshole.

OK, first, what are you playing on? Xbox 360/One, PS 3/4, PC? I'm pretty sure there's someone here who might be able to help on every platform.

If I were you, I'd try to avoid freemode until I build up some money and levels. You can buy good guns at even the smallest level now, but you need money to buy them. Try doing missions - they pay decently, and they get you more used to the mechanics of the game. Plus they level you up quick. Survivals are good, too. We all farmed the Boneyard survival constantly at some point.

The first heist is fairly easy for the beginner. Find some sympathetic help who can carry you through some missions and you're good.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So I am waaaaaaay late on this. Is it pointless for me to try and get into GTAO?

I created a guy and got the shit shot out of me a dozen times in a hour and kinda gave up.

Should I just plow through on passive and level up or do I just take it all on the chin and fight back with my pistol?

Take it on the chin. Never go passive. If you're on PS4, feel free to add me. My PSN is the same as my username. Just let me know who you are in the friend request, because for some reason I get a lot of random ones and never accept them because they're anonymous. 

9 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So I am waaaaaaay late on this. Is it pointless for me to try and get into GTAO?

I created a guy and got the shit shot out of me a dozen times in a hour and kinda gave up.

Should I just plow through on passive and level up or do I just take it all on the chin and fight back with my pistol?

You make very little RP in free roam and will end up losing a lot of money from dying and having to rebuy ammo.

I would suggest to join the crew so you can get free weapons and a car and then start a private/friends/crew game sessions so you don't have to worry about random hunyucks shooting you.

You can turn in stolen cars to Simeon about once an hour, which can net you up to $9000 depending on the make and condition.

Do races to earn money and RP; it will also raise your driving skill.  You can do them solo if need be.

Once you have enough money (about $25K) you can buy a small garage to store a couple of cars and use as a spawn point/refuge.

Then do some contact missions to get more RP and money; these will also raise other skills.  Out of the low level missions, I would skip Simeon's.  They usually take way too long because you have to chase cars all over the map.

Once you have your level and skills raised up and some decent weapons, then head into free mode for the shitshow if you want.

You can always just use invite only rooms when you're in freemode.  

Get familiar with what cars you can sell for they highest prices.  Ballers and Felons are all over usually and sell for a lot.  There are also some Sentinels that spawn at specific times and places that sell for nearly double what those other two do.  

Survivals are good for building up your shooting skills quickly.  They can also be pretty easy money if you luck into a decent group of teammates.

I'd say avoid freemode till you've got a handle on combat, then go for it.  There are a lot of low level players even now, plus plenty of high levels that aren't much of a threat.

If you are gonna go into freemode, learn the combat roll and how to use the Marksman Rifle, especially while moving.  You'll be able to handle 90% of the folks you run into just by getting good at those two.

Those Sentinels are an easy-peasy $17,000-$14,000 every 45 minutes. You just gotta know the system. And you have to be on current-generation. Last-gen has red gang cars.

You can get the Marksman Rifle now even at a low level. Also available now are a great rifle, some they'll-do-for-now machine guns and the homing missile launcher, which has its uses. 

I think I made decent use of passive last night - was in a squabble with a gentleman and we were having a one-on-one faceoff. No one around us for miles. He goes off the radar. I thought "nope, ain't goin' out like that," and put it in passive. He goes for his beloved jump jet - he'd been griefling the hell out of everyone in the room with the thing earlier - and flies back into town.

I stay around, and one of those "highest jump" challenges pops up. When the time comes for it to start, I come out of passive (can't participate in passive) and he sniffs me out from a mile away, rushes back up to around Trevor's and kills me with the jet. We respawn, and he drops me post-haste with that new sniper.

Well, ol' Stout bowed his head 'cause he knew he'd been beat. He laid his golden fiddle on the ground and went back into passive, fuck it. Between the jet and the sniper, I knew this was gonna be a deluxe ass-kicking and Jet Griefer deserved not the satisfaction.

I did steal his jet when it was parked at Trevor's airfield once while in passive, that was fun. Finally, he sends me a text:

"Passive"

My reply: "Yes, Jetboy"

HIs reply: "get out"

My reply: "No, Jetboy"

At one point, I'm in a helicopter in passive and he's trying to shoot me. "I'm in passive, Jetboy."

I really pushed his buttons when I started referring to him as "darling" and "sweetie," because he said we were both dudes and dudes don't say those kind of things to each other. HIGH-LAR-IOUS. Why would you ever tell someone not to say something to you when you really oughta know that's gonna get them to say it even more?

• Like 3

My one proud passive moment was managing to get a guy to kill himself.  We were killing dots one night when one of em got pissed off and grabbed a tank, back before they got nerfed.  I got behind a low wall right next to some apartment building and stood there in passive doing jazz hands.  Dumbass sat there shooting at me with the tank, till the splash damage from hitting the building behind me blew up the tank, and him.  Then I came out of passive and we went to work on him again.

• Like 4

I only went into Passive Mode after dropping off an ignition bomb at the Pay & Spray in midtown Los Santos. 

Easier for me to get to my vantage point on top of Diddler-Sachs mall and wait for the explosion.

I hated Passives because they'd follow you around and do annoying things jut to piss you off .  I used to love to take them on helicopter rides over the desert and then bail out of the pilot's seat.

• Like 2

I reserve the right to not have to take on a guy who's very good in a jet. I hate 'em, but I can't hate 'em too bad, because the only difference between them and me is that they care about the game way more than I do. I'd have no patience to learn how to fly a jet that well.

I know I could've simply switched rooms, but it was late and I wanted to aggravate the guy the way he was aggravating the rest of the room with that jet.

I also LOVE doing the going into passive thing when someone's gone off the radar obviously to take a swipe at me, because it totally negates the little advantage they were trying to get. Not a big fan of off the radar. I'll do it when I'm trying to take out a tank and I need the advantage. Usually, I want them to see me coming so when they blow up sky-high, they have no excuse.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I'd finish story mode first. I know some people never completed the offline version of the game before jumping to multiplayer, and I reckon most of the people who generation jumped didn't play through again, but - even though there's no story mode spoilers in online, because it's a prequel - finish the main game. Then PM me when you need someone to show you the online ropes (I'm the last guy still on PS3. Or was, until you joined in).

We'll take my car. But you'll be driving. Because all my skills are 100%, and you need to level up your driving skill.

In the previews for GTA:O, they said if you didn't play for a long time your stats would decrease. I've taken months off and not seen any degeneration... did they not implement that in the end, or when they said a long time, did they mean actual years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Level 500, and on the right day, I can still absolutely suck ass at this game. 

I've found those days, for me, usually end with the letters "day."

I think it's really easy to lose your chops on this game. You play something else for a month, lose your groove, and it's tough. Plus, that high level gets a bulls-eye painted on your back. Everybody wants to see what you're made of, and in my case, it's fresh creamery butter.

Plus I have a tendency to run into people who really seem to play strongly to my weaknesses - people who seem to use RPGs like any other gun in their arsenal, and people who know how to work that marksman rifle. If you have a kryptonite, you'll generally run into someone with a bag full of it.

• Like 1

Only Cristobal can manage to wedge the money-car in a tree, the getaway boat on the shoreline and still not come off as the heel in a heist. He'll save it for the other guy to drown us and take the boos.

He will blade though. Red means green.  

By the way, I hit 400 with Lady Petrol around the same time. Where are my accolades?

Hey, congrats, you unlocked the ... wait, you've already got all the shit a long time ago.

It's like celebrating birthdays after you turn 21. You can already drink, what's the point?

I screwed up one of those Kill List things so bad last night I had to message one of the guys in the chopper with me and apologize. I just had to.

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Only Cristobal can manage to wedge the money-car in a tree, the getaway boat on the shoreline and still not come off as the heel in a heist. He'll save it for the other guy to drown us and take the boos.

Well it helped that he took the heat for the boat as well. All we needed to do was get your car and nudge the boat back into the water. He's the one who decided to try an RPG instead. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

By the way, I hit 400 with Lady Petrol around the same time. Where are my accolades?

I'm only at 378 or something, and I started my character like a year before you started yours. Heists give out crazy RP. Also, I've saved some rich Brazilians, Planet Earth, the Human Race and the Galaxy, and killed Ares, Dutch Van Der Linde's gang, the ruler of Panau and a lot of Geth, Collectors, Cerberus troopers and Triads while you've been robbing the same bank every three days. And done some Skateboarding.

Sure would love to make someone weep and rage quit. The worse the day, the worse I wanna play GTA.

EDIT: And of course I'm the one who gets the absolute shit stuffed out of me to the point where giving up's the best option. I didn't rage quit, hell, it was such a thorough assbeating that I couldn't get mad, I could only laugh and feel sorry for my bodyguard, who had his pay dropped to minus $25,000 after I got done getting killed.

Guy's just 1-on-2 wrecking us, and all I wanna do is just get the hell out of town and regroup and the fucker goes off the radar to kill us some more. He's got me about 20-4 and he's sending muggers after me. I'm like "dood, this is hardly necessary." It was like keeping the starters in late in the fourth quarter during a 256-0 asswhipping in football. I could just pray the sumbitch breaks an ankle.

I'm truly horrible at this game.

• Like 2

After another middlin' day in Los Santos, Roast hit the scene and we laid the smacketh down on two candyasses out by the O'Neil's farm. They weren't working together, which was about their only hope. One caught a case of the limbertail and headed back to town, while the other took a good old-fashioned DVDR asskicking until I saw him hit that pause menu, killed him again for his trouble, and he disappeared.

I had to split after that - I'd been saying for probably the last hour "this is the last thing I do, and then I'm gonna go," when Roast invited me to a Capture, which is Roast-speak for "I need this for my daily objectives." You can't imagine how much I hate captures. I did the bus one earlier in the day with some random 'cause I figured he needed it for his daily objectives, and he kept shooting me as I was bringing him buses. I think he finally caught on around bus 4 that I was helping him, and he quit shooting.

Roast played one with "zombies," and I thought "this'll be fun," and it was better than usual - the "zombies" were the typical "shitdick" talking O'Neil brother types, except they were decked out in clown suits and carrying knives. It still couldn't end quickly enough.

Odd day besides that - did a lot of VIPing, which is fun, but I still don't have the rhythm of "calling my spots," giving the bodyguards fun work to do spaced out in decent intervals. I did play one tense-as-hell "find the VIP," or whatever it's called, where I was JUST about to get got when the time expired. One guy would breach my bodyguards' perimeter and I'd pop up from my hiding place (a drained swimming pool) and shoot him, since I was off the radar and all.

I like the ones where you have to go fetch the briefcase and bring it somewhere. You can do those solo with no bodyguards, in a room by yourself (at least I think so - there was one other guy in the room when I started, but he left). There's one at the altruists' camp that's easy if you have a Kuruma, one at the Merriweather outpost where stocks and scares is held (quite a bit trickier, but doable), one at the airport (cops swarm, difficult, probably OK with a Kuruma) and one at Fort Zancudo (haven't tried it yet, don't wanna know).

There's another absolutely psychotic one where you have to steal sports cars from a police station and take them to a drop-off point. Just a butt-ton of cops, and the game dares other players to shut you down, so it gets hairy when there's 10,000 cops, a guy in a jet and a guy in a buzzard bearing down on you. All they gotta do is destroy the cars and it's over. And when you get near the dropoff, you gotta lose (usually) a four-star wanted level before you can drop off the cars.

It's amazing to me how often crazy shit happens in this game and I think "man, would this make a great action scene in a movie."

I usually plow into a room and invite everyone in the room to be my bodyguard - since you can only have three, it makes for an interesting roll of the dice. You get quite a few people who don't participate in the activity at all, just leech the free money that comes from "bodyguarding" me. Some are serious about it and are damn good at what they do. One today shocked me - he was a Level 65, so I wasn't expecting much, and he was the star of the show in that Executive Search - he kept several people at bay. It's weird that you can feel proud of strangers. I feel like a football coach or something.

I do wish we could communicate better, but I'm not getting in no game chat with no 13-year-olds, sorry. I'd prefer them to just be silent killers for Big Daddy.

• Like 3

Rockstar put out a teaser for the next 'big' update (no release dates):

Full fledged criminal organizations with drug trafficking and selling.  Offices for said criminal organizations. Warehouses where you store your product -- that will be raided and must be defended.   More cars, etc. 

Also for crazy race creators, rings to make things like this:

gta-online-stunt-races.jpg

• Like 2