DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

He's the next Eddie Cheddar.

We were dot magnets last night, weren't we? It's like they were working shifts. Some stuck around, more came in, a few left, more came in, four of them's in that glitch, we blew them up, Boo Boo's in the glitch.

It was chaotic, but not really difficult. It's just hard to pay attention to everyone when there's three or four guys around you. That's why the guy who kept getting on roofs was as successful as he was. Friday night with the four dudes from the same crew was more difficult, but not impossible. 

I tried that new sniping rifle (the ones that gave us fits Friday) in some gang attacks, and it's kinda hard to work with unless you're in cover. Problem is, you keep moving. If I swung the rifle to the left or the right, I would tend to move left or right. Also, it's hard to get used to the fact that once you bring up the scope, you're in full range - with the snipers, you have to push forward on the stick to get the most magnification out of the deal. I kept pushing forward here and kept walking forward. I can't count the number of times I accidentally walked out of cover while shooting the gun.

I also kept walking off the roofs of buildings. I didnt test if from super-far away, but I'm thinking it had about the same range as the heavy sniper.

Big problem - could be better with actual players and if I was lining my shots up better - it'd take me 3-4 shots sometimes to kill the gang members. The heavy sniper seems much more powerful.

I think the use of the rifle is advanced rocket science - notice no one last night was using the damn thing? 

EDIT: Hilarous how Melraz couldn't even get through the intro of "Jeremy": 

"This sucks. Here's a good one: BOROOENKNOGJGOJOTJOJHOHTOHTOHT"

• Like 3

I haven't laughed as hard as I have the last two days in MONTHS. I would say everybody's missing out, but after 5 minutes in a party with us, they'd probably say "fuck this." Where else can you race a race and have a Pearl Jam karaoke contest at the same time while relentlessly giving RUkered shit?

This game has paid for itself twice over in inside jokes.

• Like 2

Someone posting on another forum after joining our party:

"I mean they seemed like nice guys, but they kept talking about beer and watering the grass in these Foghorn Leghorn accents. They kept yelling ba-ding randomly. I don't know what the fuck they were on about, but I'm never joining them again."

I got on for a while yesterday and had the typical ups and downs. A guy killed me in freemode, so I wore his ass out and gave him the patented Robert "yeah, go ahead and get in your personal car to chase me...I promise it won't blow up or anything."

Just when I was feeling good about myself, I decide to do missions with randoms. People voted for a LTS match, then everyone dropped out but me and one other guy. The match starts and it's forced pistols. I died in about one minute. The dude that killed me........level 3. I was like "welp, I'll show myself out."

Then I had the rarest of events happen. Got on a run of contact missions with some guy and we were just in sync. Did Blow Up 2 (I think) where you save the yellow Comet. He hides in an alley and I call Lester to lose the stars. Quick and easy. We did three or four in a row and it was like we were coordinating on headsets. The guy sent a message that said "kicking butt" and we exchanged a few pleasantries. I was so impressed I gave him a positive rating. It was like "who am I right now?"

If I see him again, I may chat with him to make sure he's not a squeaky 12 year old. He might be a good recruit. I don't recall him being crew affiliated, but I could be wrong. I believe his name was A PSYCHO J3W.

Mel, you would have liked him because we did the RV-stealing mission, and he's blasting the thing over mountains. Sends me a message that says "RV means all terrain right??" I was like - this kid is a good shit.

• Like 3

I might be on late tonight about stouts normal time. Back on call so no 2 beers tonight. Freemode needs to feel the dvdr wrath i have take ass whoopins the last couple times ive been on. Gotta get my k/d back over 2.5

I might be on late tonight about stouts normal time. Back on call so no 2 beers tonight. Freemode needs to feel the dvdr wrath i have take ass whoopins the last couple times ive been on. Gotta get my k/d back over 2.5

If anybody is on, I'll probably be on around then.  Gotta go to another baby class tonight and do a bunch of stuff around the house first.

We were dot magnets last night, weren't we? It's like they were working shifts. Some stuck around, more came in, a few left, more came in, four of them's in that glitch, we blew them up, Boo Boo's in the glitch.

It was chaotic, but not really difficult. It's just hard to pay attention to everyone when there's three or four guys around you. That's why the guy who kept getting on roofs was as successful as he was. Friday night with the four dudes from the same crew was more difficult, but not impossible. 

I tried that new sniping rifle (the ones that gave us fits Friday) in some gang attacks, and it's kinda hard to work with unless you're in cover. Problem is, you keep moving. If I swung the rifle to the left or the right, I would tend to move left or right. Also, it's hard to get used to the fact that once you bring up the scope, you're in full range - with the snipers, you have to push forward on the stick to get the most magnification out of the deal. I kept pushing forward here and kept walking forward. I can't count the number of times I accidentally walked out of cover while shooting the gun.

I also kept walking off the roofs of buildings. I didnt test if from super-far away, but I'm thinking it had about the same range as the heavy sniper.

Big problem - could be better with actual players and if I was lining my shots up better - it'd take me 3-4 shots sometimes to kill the gang members. The heavy sniper seems much more powerful.

I think the use of the rifle is advanced rocket science - notice no one last night was using the damn thing? 

Once we got over to the eastside pay and spray, we were definitely in amongst em.  I don't think there were ever less than 5 dots around us, and we must've been there for at least an hour. Mafia boy got most of his kills on me while I was totally focused on 2-3 other dots.  The rest of the competition were mostly terrible.  Didn't hurt that my sniping skills were working better than usual.  Maybe I need to play more on two beer nights, though melraz's reason for literally being on 2 beer Saturday makes my liver hurt thinking about it.  I was happy that we actually managed to take out the assholes in that bridge glitch for once, and then keep them out afterwards with a few well placed RPGs.

I didn't think about it, but I think you're right about that new sniper - I don't remember seeing it at all on Saturday.  There were several guys using it effectively on Friday.  I hate that damn thing, mainly because other people are good at it and I'm mostly useless.  I tried it out a few more times this weekend, and I got a little better with it.  Got a few kills on players with it both nights.  It's definitely not as powerful as the heavy sniper, but it's full auto with a decent sized clip.  I think the advantage to it is that you get more margin for error using it.  You can still get kills pretty quickly with it even if the first shot doesn't do it.  I wouldn't want to fight out in the open against somebody that knows what they're doing with that thing.  Makes me wish they hadn't nerfed the heavy sniper even more than I already did.

I haven't laughed as hard as I have the last two days in MONTHS. I would say everybody's missing out, but after 5 minutes in a party with us, they'd probably say "fuck this." Where else can you race a race and have a Pearl Jam karaoke contest at the same time while relentlessly giving RUkered shit?

This game has paid for itself twice over in inside jokes.

This game has definitely paid for itself many times over with the online part.  I can't think of another game that has the potential for so many different insane ways to amuse yourself.  Plenty of games have online deathmatches/missions/races/etc.  I can't think of any others where you can surf a bus down a mountain, or parachute into a moving dump truck, or load virtually anything - bicycle, helicopter, whatever - with explosives and go in search of unsuspecting white dots. 

Even screwing up can be fun in this game.  I laughed my ass off when melraz and I made a giant clusterfuck of rescuing el stupido.  melraz managed to kill himself with his own helicopter, and I slid the entire way down Vesuvius on my face.

Someone posting on another forum after joining our party:

"I mean they seemed like nice guys, but they kept talking about beer and watering the grass in these Foghorn Leghorn accents. They kept yelling ba-ding randomly. I don't know what the fuck they were on about, but I'm never joining them again."

I got on for a while yesterday and had the typical ups and downs. A guy killed me in freemode, so I wore his ass out and gave him the patented Robert "yeah, go ahead and get in your personal car to chase me...I promise it won't blow up or anything."

Just when I was feeling good about myself, I decide to do missions with randoms. People voted for a LTS match, then everyone dropped out but me and one other guy. The match starts and it's forced pistols. I died in about one minute. The dude that killed me........level 3. I was like "welp, I'll show myself out."

Yeah, I think anybody that was on with us over the weekend would've run for the hills. 

And I've had a few encounters with very low level people that made me want to run and hide.  Still remember melraz and I almost having to quit the game after barely squeaking out a team deathmatch win against guys that were 150 levels below us.

BAAADIIINGGG

Stout's "that's the sound of whooped" line had me crying I was laughing so hard.

• Like 3

Hadda lotta fun tormentin the city last night. Texted burke "gta?" "Oh hell yeah be there in 20" "ok ill piss off the map." I did just that and burke and myself kicked the shit outta the citizens of los santos. Were inna purdy good fight with 2 people near the playboy mansion with 2 people we made become allies with each other. Then a third dot rolled up and ate an rpg. But whats this roberts on and now its 3 on 3. The new guy left and it was us 3 on them 2. Got em separated and it was me on 1 and burke and robert on one. I was doin fairly well on my dot and said i dont think its killed me yet. A few kills later i finally die by their hand. 25 to 1 i think was the score. Anyhoo cleared that map did a mission burke went to bed me and robert start inna new session. Low levels galore it was kinda awesome. Ended up clearin it out but 1. We had to've killed the poor feller 8,254 times each. He finally runs to his apartment and gets voted out of the session. Man i play freemode so much better without 2 beer. I had gotten under 2.5 k/d and wanted it back up. I was successful.

• Like 3

The guy that was fighting me and RUkered could go.  It turned out to be exactly what I said I didn't want to do in my last post - fight a guy that was good with the new sniper in an open area.  He and I kept swapping kills for a long time.  I did manage to get him 4 or 5 times in a row right before he and his buddy left.

We were only two two horsemen in that last room, but hell followed with us.  I easily had over a hundred kills in there, and maybe 9 or 10 deaths.  melraz did even better than I did.  We started out up in Sandy Shores so we flew down to say hi to Los Santos.  Found two dots in an ammunation and waited outside with a minigun and an RPG.   Turned out they both like level 15.  From then on we were surrounded by 4 or 5 dots for a really long time, and none of em were any good.  Our biggest problem was we kept stealing each others' kills.  Last guy made the mistake of challenging both of us to one on one deathmatches when nobody else was around.  I think melraz killed him at least 15 times during my match.  He finally had to back off so I could get a few kills in myself.

I tried out the new sniper again last night.  I got a few kills with it, but I'm still not very good.  Looked it up online, and I've got 6 kills with it, and been killed like 65 times.  That's damned annoying.  Heavy sniper, on the other hand, has me at about a 1200 to 300 advantage with this character.

• Like 1

Is this the wrong place to wonder out loud if there will ever be single player DLC for this game?  It took about 11 months for The Lost and Damned and it's been longer than that now.

I think their focus is on XBox One and PlayStation 4 at this point. You'll probably see DLC for those two quicker than you think as a way to encourage more 360 and PS3 users to make the switch.

360 and PS3 uses are gonna get more cars, guns and outfits every few months and they're gonna like it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think PS3/360 would be an afterthought for DLC they're gonna charge money for.  The potential customer base has to be bigger than PS4/XBone.  Most people have long since moved on, but those folks probably won't repurchase the game on next-gen anyway. 

Still, as slow as they've been with this entire game, from the long development cycle to missing their stated timelines for releasing things like heists, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't any more meaningful DLC.  I'm still puzzled that they managed 3 major releases for PS2/Xbox, but didn't get one out till this gen had nearly run its course.

And yeah, I want my heat-seaking missiles from San Andreas back.  Give me that and another garage I don't really need and I'll be good for a while yet.

• Like 1

I'm still puzzled that they managed 3 major releases for PS2/Xbox, but didn't get one out till this gen had nearly run its course.

What do you mean?  GTA 4 and Episodes from LC were this gen.

Apparently I managed to block out the existence of GTA4 from my mind.  Pretty remarkable actually, but I couldn't even remember the game existed. 

Might be that there was pretty much nothing I liked about the game.  I finished it, but that was more out of stubbornness than anything else.

I figured out very quickly that any time the phone rang it would be something annoying, so I just hung up on anybody that was calling before they could start talking. 

Looking back on GTA4 and its predecessors, it's really hard to figure out how I beat all those games without the "immediately retry mission" option -- and the checkpoints -- that, I think, started in Gay Tony.  I can only blame OCD or maybe just a driving desire to beat the game, because dying, reloading, driving all the way to the mission starting point, and doing an entire mission over again every single time feels like something that would cause me to throw the XBox out the window today.

Might be that there was pretty much nothing I liked about the game. I finished it, but that was more out of stubbornness than anything else.

I figured out very quickly that any time the phone rang it would be something annoying, so I just hung up on anybody that was calling before they could start talking.

Didn't they have a relationship status thing that would deteriorate if you didn't hang out with people enough? I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to recall worrying about that before getting too tired of it to care.

And I agree Technico, it would be hard to go back to the old ways. The ending of 3 almost gave me a stroke.

"Oh, you made it out of the gate? Then one of the eight billion guards will kill you."

"Oh, you killed all the guards? Well that chopper is taking off and you have about three rockets to shoot at it. Good luck asshole!!"

• Like 3

That's what drove me away from Red Dead. I got tired of doing all this bullshit to get back to the mission only to die in the same spot I did last time, only to have to do all that bullshit again.

Did GTA 4 have a "skip mission" button? If GTA 5 didn't, I'd still be trying to finish some of those flying missions. I tried to do one of Trevor's arms drops by plane last night and just completely failed.

I tried playing a buddy of mine's GTA 4 and was like "What is this Atari 2600 shit?" I can't wait to see what GTA 6 looks like when it comes out for XBox Five 10 years from now.

• Like 1

Yeah, you did have hang out to keep relationships up.  I just didn't give a shit.  Everybody probably hated me by the end.

I do remember some missions in earlier games annoying me by making me drive over to start the mission again.  Can't remember specifics though.  The ending of 3 gave me fits too till I figured out you can pick up a shitload of guns/ammo/explosives/body armor/health by going back to your safehouse nearby - assuming you'd already dealt with the pain of finding all the hidden packages.  That was the nice thing about the PS2/XBOX period games.  A lot of the harder missions could be made easier by setting things up in your advantage beforehand.

Also, speaking of GTA3, I want a damned flamethrower for freemode.