DVDVR Message Board

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia (8/1/2015) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (HSBC Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I will admit that I'm biased against Cyborg so that probably will cloud my judgment a bit.  I just never got past when she fought Akano in Strikeforce who was a tiny little thing who they threw in there just to give Cyborg some fresh meat to pummel.  She had no business fighting at 145 and weighed in like a couple pounds light of that.  Cyborg couldn't even be bothered to make weight and missed by like five or six pounds.  I just thought it was fucked up and never had any respect for her after that.  Then the whole steroid thing which was rumored anyway.  Just never been a fan or had much respect for her skills other than being big as shit and strong. 

Another thing is that above 115 you don't really need to be Joanna Jedrzejczyk to be a great striker. Miesha Tate, who gets hit with right hands all the time, is currently second best fighter at 135.

I think the one thing that separates all the best female strikers is just the overall confidence factor. Ronda three years ago vs. Ronda that fought last weekend is virtually night and day. We can even forget technique. It's the shot selection basically. Anytime you fight someone standing up and they do a backwards roll, I think you have them a bit perplexed at your success.

However, I think it would be silly to just kinda dismiss Cyborg as chilling in San Diego and waiting for fights to just appear so she can show up. Cyborg's game use to be move forward and then move upper body frantically from left to right and then right to left. Not a ton of snap or technique behind it. I think it was more of the pressure than her power that made people retreat within themselves.

If you look her stuff from Lion Fight and Invicta, she is a bit right hand happy and just has it ready and cocked. However, they are landing CLEAN as a motherfucker. It might not be Joanna Champion-like, but these ain't grazing people by any means. Right straights, right uppercuts, and digging to the body before putting in the coffin nails. She uses the left hook and left jab to set up and move people into that right hand. I think Ronda has her in terms of growth, but Cyborg has an advantage in that she knows what her money punch is. She isn't gonna to decision with girls because of that. She isn't fucking around like she use to do when she first started to gain traction. She wasn't breaking noses before she tested positive like she is afterwards. She is just crushing people in the face.

• Like 1

UFC really doesn't like to do catchweight fights, though. Say Cyborg won at 140, what are they going to do? Bring in the entire 145 pound division from Invicta? I think Dana said recently that they're not interested in adding more weight classes right now.

One of the main reasons you'd want her to make 135 is so you could then continue to use her in that division following the fight.

Yeah, i don't see a catchweight fight happening. She either makes 135 or it doesn't happen. Plus, I doubt they do the Rousey fight in Cristiane's first UFC experience.

Now, if Fedor does sign, I wonder how far they throw him into the deep end. He's not exactly needing an introduction to most MMA fans but he's rusty and coming off less than stellar performances. Do you have him fight the Mir/Arlovski winner or do you risk having him lose against Todd Duffee? I can't see the latter happening because it would be either a waste of a potential moneymaker. It would be a little surreal to see Fedor Emelianenko in the octagon though. 

UFC really doesn't like to do catchweight fights, though. Say Cyborg won at 140, what are they going to do? Bring in the entire 145 pound division from Invicta?

If she can fight 140, all you do is make 135 into 140 and give everybody five more pounds. Basically, it would be like EliteXC. I think the problem even if you wanted to do that is plenty of the girls who fight at 135 now could feasibly fight at 125.

Once again, my idea has Rousey relinquishing her title ahead of a pending retirement, so she decides to end her career with the Cyborg fight.  After that, mini-tournament for the vacant bantamweight title.  Then again, it's just a hypothetical scenario.

• Like 1

For certain reasons, I just don't see Rousey retiring anytime soon unless she wanted to start a family ASAP. Being a MMA fighter at her level is not like being a WWE diva where people know what the ceiling is or a Mexican female boxing champ where all you do is fight whoever decides to fight you in your hometown. She is her own brand now. That can take you very far if you know where your bread is buttered. Everything I've heard from her indicates she knows that.

She makes more money now than she would ever make realistically in the movies. It's not like she is this RADA or Juilliard trained actress who feels compelled to do acting for a living. The movies she could potentially be a part of are not going anywhere. Hollywood is still going to make action thrillers and comic book movies. You can do one or two those and still fight twice a year at least.

In addition, her drive and competitiveness is not gonna allow her to just end it without knowing she has done everything possible including making all the money she can.

• Like 1

Yeah she isn't going anywhere.  She'll fight Cyborg on Cyborg's terms as in whenever Cyborg decides to cut the weight.  If Cyborg decides she can make 135 after her next fight which would put the Ronda fight next year, Ronda's not all of a sudden going to declare it her last fight.  That sounds ridiculous.  

Been a fan of Ronda Rousey and Women’s MMA since Strikeforce. You wonder how Ronda will win and how long her opponent survives. The majority of Ronda’s wins are by Armbar but now she wins by KO/TKO adding that to her game. For these, Rowdy Ronda Rousey’s fights are must sees. Shame we have to wait for Ronda’s next fight, Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate III. Poor poor Miesha.

MMAFighting.com @MMAFighting 12s

Rousey said she wants to be on the Aldo-McGregor card against Tate.

That's gonna do some buys.

Apparently Ronda Rousey's next big movie role will be as... Ronda Rousey.

EDIT: Which I'm not allowed to link to. It's on the guardian's culture page, under 'film'. And probably quite a lot of other plaes as well.

Be interesting to see if that does business.

The only way I see this fight with Cyborg happening right now is Rousey is ready to retire and says she's going to relinquish the title and fight Cyborg at a catchweight.

Not gonna happen.  Ronda would be an idiot to move up in weight just to fight Cyborg.  Let Cyborg make weight for a change.

Cyborg walks around at 175 pounds.  How is she going to make 135 pounds?

She doesn't possess bigger bones and heavier organs than other women dude.  She's going to have to lose some of that muscle mass.  It takes a diet change, workout change, and time.  Something she should already be doing if she plans on fighting Ronda.  Personally I don't think she really wants to fight Ronda. 

Yeah, I wouldn't say anybody doesn't want fight this or that person. That's her career payday walking around. Keep in mind, she could have signed with Bellator seeing as Coker started a division for Carano and her (couldn't sign either FWIW). Instead, she talked to Lorenzo and got a UFC deal. I think it's hubris that's she taking her sweet time to do this. The same thing has happened in a ton of other big fights in combat sports. Nobody sees themselves as the B-side even when they clearly are.

People have squabbles over who is gonna come out first and who gets introduced first. Fortunately, MMA doesn't really have to worry about that part. When a lot of money is at stake, it's more of a matter of when people start bending and not if. I think what stops this from being like a Bowe-Lewis thing is there isn't a ton of channels between Ronda and Cyborg. Both are signed to the UFC essentially. I don't expect a money issue to arise. The weight issue is just the big problem.

I've already said she's working with a nutritionist to drop her walking around weight down so the cut is more manageable. She's trying to change her body type, I imagine it's going to be a long process. That's directed to the people doubting she wants the fight on the last page.

She doesn't possess bigger bones and heavier organs than other women dude.  She's going to have to lose some of that muscle mass.  It takes a diet change, workout change, and time.  Something she should already be doing if she plans on fighting Ronda.  Personally I don't think she really wants to fight Ronda. 

Cutting that weight is going to be much harder than you are giving it credit here.  Cyborg is a very large woman who is also very lean.  She is not going to be able to lose that much weight without a huge physical transformation.  She's had a dificult time cutting to 145 asking her to cut another 10 lbs. isn't very realistic.  How exactly is she supposed to cut that extra weight without losing a lot of the strength and athleticism that makes her such a devastating fighter?  She'd have to lose a significant amount of muscle mass which is exactly the last thing you want to do before the biggest fight of your life.

Right now, Meltzer is suggesting Cris run up hills. No dietary advice was given. Just run up hills.

So his advice is to build strength in the biggest muscles in her body to cut weight?  I remember when I played football in high school and I was trying to get bigger and stronger and the advice I got was to run hills.  Basically if you get your legs bigger and stronger it is easier to add size and strength everywhere else.  As a freshman I was probably around 125 lbs. but I was able to get up to about 160 by building my legs in the off season.  If she wants to get to 135 she shouldn't do any leg workouts other than running.  No lifting, no hills, nothing that is actually going to build muscle in her legs.  Those are the biggest muscles in your body.  Losing muscle in her legs should be her #1 goal, I honestly don't know how to lose 10 lbs. of muscle while staying in shape.  As far I as understand, the only way to really lose muscle is by letting it atrophy, which isn't really an option for a professional fighter.

He keeps saying no lifting, but for like the last two shows (190 recap and the Raw recap w/ Sempervive), he has been talking about her running up hills. It's hilarious.

I'm not gonna pretend to be expert on this matter, but I don't think that sounds right.

Cutting that weight is going to be much harder than you are giving it credit here.  Cyborg is a very large woman who is also very lean.  She is not going to be able to lose that much weight without a huge physical transformation.  She's had a dificult time cutting to 145 asking her to cut another 10 lbs. isn't very realistic.  How exactly is she supposed to cut that extra weight without losing a lot of the strength and athleticism that makes her such a devastating fighter?  She'd have to lose a significant amount of muscle mass which is exactly the last thing you want to do before the biggest fight of your life.

No man, I'm not discrediting the difficulty of any of this.  We are talking about a professional athlete at the highest level in her sport.  None of this is easy.  What I'm saying is that this isn't some new development.  The Rousey/Cyborg weight class squabble has been going on a long time.  Just a rough guess, I'd say to safely change her body type to cut that weight effectively would take about a year.  A year of diet change and changing her workout routine to eliminate heavy weight exercises and focusing on technique based grappling/striking and repetition.  That's the type of thing that needs to happen for her to fight Ronda at 135.  That debate has been going on for about three years now.  Instead of doing that, she's just stayed the course and had four fights in Invicta at 145. To this point it's been more along the lines of "fuck you, you come fight me at 145" which I think she's figured out at this point isn't going to happen.  I truly believe she hasn't fully committed to the idea of making these adjustments.  I think the 140lb catchweight/weight cutting warmup fight is more for her to test the waters and to see if she will want to go through that last 5lb drop to 135.  Ultimately I think she will go through with it because that payday will dwarf everything she's ever done but all that stuff could and should have been in the rearview mirror at this point. 

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0804/599067/ufc-190-ronda-rousey-predicted-to-outsell-every-wrestlemania-ever/

- This weekend's UFC 190 was a giant success for the UFC, as it appears they have yet another monster pay-per-view on their hands, thanks in large part to Ronda Rousey. Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Dave Meltzer said that he's seen the DirecTV numbers for the event, and they're huge.

"As far as North America goes, it probably beat every WrestleMania ever. Maybe, maybe not Austin-Rock (WM17), but I can't be sure." Meltzer said on today's edition of Wrestling Observer Radio. For the record, the domestic record for WrestleMania buys is 970,000 for WrestleMania 17.