DVDVR Message Board

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia (8/1/2015) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (HSBC Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Apparently, Struve was extremely sick tonight. Dana said he didn't think he was going to make it to the fight.

If Struve isn't getting his ass kicked, then he's nearly dying, passing out, or is nearly too sick to fight. I like Struve, but how Miocic lost to him is beyond me. If Miocic doesn't have a fight lined up (I can't remember if he does or not), then I suppose you could pair him up against Struve in a rematch. 

Not at the moment, I think Miocic was gonna get the de facto title shot, but then those talks have cooled off. Plus, Werdum is on vacation. At the earliest, Werdum will be back in January.

Well she might have gotten quickly thrown and tapped as opposed to getting face plant KO'd.

When all is said and done, if that is true Correia still basically did the right thing. Getting thumped & chumped like that is no fun, but her best chance, as minimal as it turned out to be, was taking Rousey off her primary grappling game. Ronda has herself admitted she did not fight the perfect fight.

Oh absolutely.  The unfortunate thing for Correia was that it was irrelevant.  She doesn't have the power to one punch KO Ronda so the second that the exchange wasn't going Ronda's way she could have easily just taken the fight to the mat and finished it there.  

Oh absolutely.  The unfortunate thing for Correia was that it was irrelevant.  She doesn't have the power to one punch KO Ronda so the second that the exchange wasn't going Ronda's way she could have easily just taken the fight to the mat and finished it there.  

Genuine question; really? I'm no MMA expert but a decent shot in the right spot always has a chance of causing significant disruption which would lead to a knockout (even if further punches are required), surely?

If you hit the right spot hard and directly enough; then, I'm sure you could knock out anyone, but that's why a lot of people don't rely on knockouts below a certain weight level, it's harder to generate that impact force. I'm not sure a five year old hitting an adult as hard as they can in the chin would knock them out, but give them a baseball bat and we'd have a different story.

I have no doubt that Beth Correia could have knocked Rousey out - she is a trained athlete. Might be unlikely and would require a bit of luck but Rousey basically gave her the chance. 

If we rewound a couple years no one would be predicting Rousey face-planting women with a punch.

Genuine question; really? I'm no MMA expert but a decent shot in the right spot always has a chance of causing significant disruption which would lead to a knockout (even if further punches are required), surely?

I mean, sure anyone can get rocked at any weight but at the lower weights it just takes a lot more.  You saw the Rousey fight.  It wasn't one punch.  It was a culmination that included a devastating knee to the body.  I'm just saying if the roles were switched there and it was Ronda getting tagged, the fight would have gone to the mat. 

I've seen better fights in grade school. Cyborg would kill Ronda standing up.

We'll never see that fight in Women's Bantamweight because Cyborg could not make the cut.

FWIW in the closing stretch of Correia's win over Baszler I got the distinct impression that Correia was not physically able to KO her opponent.  She certainly had the opportunity to land just about whatever punch she wanted in that situation.

That's silly talk as Bethe hit her square in the face several times. Ronda's usually the bigger fighter but she'll be much smaller than Cyborg and Ronda usually takes a few punches when going for the clinch. As much as Ronda's stand-up has improved, her defense looked questionable and Cyborg's basically the female version of Wanderlei in his prime (relative to her peers, anyway). 

The latest I read on Cyborg and the weight cut is that she's working with a nutritionist to get her walking around weight lower so the cut doesn't kill her. She's going for it. And it's going to be incredible.

I disagree.  I've always thought Cyborg was highly overrated.  Her striking relative to the current place that women's MMA is in is pretty damn good but overall it's not.  She's gotten by in her career by just being bigger than everyone she fights.  If she has to cut down to 135 she's going to lose some of that advantage.  I don't think Ronda is going to fuck around striking with her.  Ronda hasn't had any respect for any of her opponents abilities to damage her, that's why you see stuff like you've seen with her.  With Cyborg I think you'd see her be a lot more measured and just pick her spot to toss her head over heels and then submit her.  I don't think it looks much different than any of Ronda's other fights. 

Agreed on that she'd be more calculated but she'd still take a few of the crazy hooks on the way in. Watching her workouts, Ronda's footwork has come a long, loooong way since her Strikeforce and early UFC days. But her head is still perfectly centered when striking. While Cyborg doesn't have the technique of a Jedrzejczyk, she's still an elite striker in the women's game and what she may lack in technique she more than makes up in vicious power. You and I both commented on how weak Bethe's strikes are going off the Baszler fight, but she still caught Ronda clean and watered her eyes. What happens when Cyborg lands a few shots that make that disgusting thud noise on her skull?

Either way, if the fight happens, I don't see it going very long but I'd be more than willing to throw down the fifty bones to watch. 

Again, Carano mounted Cyborg. Gina Carano. If she could do that, what do you think Ronda is going to do? And like glfpunk said, Cyborg got by in part by just being way, way bigger than her opponents. It's an entirely different landscape now. She's not going to be able to cut down like she used to and she isn't going to be on the juice.

Ronda is also no dummy and knows she can take a punch, so what she saw from Correia before likely lead in to her engaging in a wild scrap. It's doubtful she'd do the same against Cyborg.

Gina didn't mount her as much as Cyborg pulled her on top of her. That was one of the moments that kinda put me off of female MMA for a hot minute.

I will say that Cyborg moving to SoCal since then and actually getting with trainers who can improve her technique has helped. She didn't improve "overnight" like Ronda did training with the likes of Diana Prazak and Jemyma Betrian but she got much better than her EliteXC/Strikeforce days in grappling and striking.

Right now, she is basically having glorified boxing matches (much like Ronda had with Bethe) so I would probably agree with that standpoint. However, it has given her some time to work on stuff for however long they do last. You can practice, spar, and hit pads as much as you want, but you never know how well it works in a live fight.