DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2016 at 8:23 PM, SirFozzie said:

That sound you hear is the air going out of everyone's "Fire Klinsmann" ballons. (Don't worry, they'll get put away and brought out again real soon I have a feeling

I would think this should embolden the "Fire Klinsmann" people. You've played very lackluster since being eliminated from the World Cup in 2014, and it takes the threat of elimination to get you and your squad fired up to play soccer.

You want to be perceived as a top 8 - 10 National power, but you're not willing to aggressively make a statement at every turn.

The problem is, that while the Youth Acadamies at MLS clubs are spinning up, they're still several years from being ready to put out truly good players, so we're getting the ass-end of the old broken system (where talented kids would fall through the cracks because their parents didn't have the money to send them to the elite travel camps/programs to get noticed.

From a Canadian perspective anything is better than what it's been for a generation. I will take an academy at TFC, Vancouver, and Montreal (and to a much lesser extent the NASL clubs like Ottawa and Edmonton) over what was basically nothing for how ever many years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.3.2016 at 6:17 PM, RIPPA said:

Example - failing to qualify for the Olympics for the 2nd straight time

Poor poor mediocre youth program

Failing Olympic qualifier doesn't necesserarily work as an indicator for not being among the top 10 footballing nations of the world I would say. Germany only last year qualified for the first time in almost 30 years, and they were definetly among the top 10 of the world since ca. 2006/2007 I'd assume. Portugal, Denmark and Sweden qualified last year, wouldn't rate those three as top 10, Sweden & Denmark probably not even Top 20.

Although I have to admit that USA and Mexico should dominate CONCACAF-competitions, there is not a huge margin for error. And young players tend to make errors.

The important part of a youth system has always been players output. For the youth national squads success is measured by how many players make it to the A-squad, participate in the  tournaments etc. Since Klinsmann is grabbing players left and right, there still seems to be a major flaw within the youth system however. At least the mandatory changes seem to be a work in progress.

• 3 months later...

Just so we have this straight: the tournament will not only take place in a country with an appalling human rights record where journalists and those who oppose the government are jailed or killed, it will also take place in a country that makes doping athletes SOP to the point that they should be kicked out of international sport.

The IOC has called for all Olympic Sports to avoid holding any events in Russia. Football is an Olympic sport. Pull yer fingers out, FIFA.

• 1 month later...