DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 7-20-15

MGFanJay

Everyone talks about how Brock vs Taker is a lose lose situation no matter who wins because it hurts Brock to lose and hurts Taker to lose.   If they are actually going with Cena vs Rollins might be in the same boat.  I mean unless Cena loses and then does the trifecta where Rollins loses the next 2 like most of the Cena's feuds in the last 2 years.

Lana has been awesome but I don't know if any diva is hurt more when they take their heels off.  It is like she loses a good 6 inches every time and being with someone like Summer isn't helping.    I agree that Russev is just awesome with that creepy "Can I fuck both at the same time" look.

Speaking of creepy looks, when Kofi was doing the PTP dance, what the hell was going on with him.  Like he was having an attack

Also I am curious if you have ever seen Brock's move in a pull apart brawl where he just went around the ring to get to Taker.  It had to have been before but almost every single one of them is just guys trying to get between the masses in the ring

from what I've seen on other boards, the general consensus is that this was one of better recent Raws. If so, that's really sad.

I'm not sure what more you could have asked for tonight and I'm one of the first people to shit on them lately.

This is the first Raw I've watched in like five months. I tuned in mainly to see if they were actually going to turn Undertaker or Lesnar heel. Please tell me you guys don't actually watch this shit on a weekly basis.

I will note that from what I've seen on other boards, the general consensus is that this was one of better recent Raws. If so, that's really sad.

Good job detailing what was wrong with the show or what you didn't like about it. Feel free to not come back to one of these threads for another five months.

"You people watch this shit? Don't you know how much smarter I am than you?"

Given Raw's current ratings, it seems to me that burden of proof should be on WWE's defenders. What exactly was good about this episode? There were no standout matches or promos, nor were there any interesting storyline developments. Sure, there was nothing that was actively awful. Is that the most we can hope for?

So when will the WWE realize JBL SUCKS?

Probably never.  Remember, Court Bauer said on Observer Radio that they were actually going to put the WWE title back on him before his retirement, even though he did horrible house show attendance and PPV buys.

Ok but hes horrible as an announcer. Why was the heel announce making face comments to a heel group?

I don't consider JBL a heel commentator.  If he is a heel commentator, he's like the whitest Stevie Ray.

Rusev was gold tonight.  I wish he'd get what he'd deserve, but no way WWE does it.

from what I've seen on other boards, the general consensus is that this was one of better recent Raws. If so, that's really sad.

I'm not sure what more you could have asked for tonight and I'm one of the first people to shit on them lately.

This is the first Raw I've watched in like five months. I tuned in mainly to see if they were actually going to turn Undertaker or Lesnar heel. Please tell me you guys don't actually watch this shit on a weekly basis.

I will note that from what I've seen on other boards, the general consensus is that this was one of better recent Raws. If so, that's really sad.

Good job detailing what was wrong with the show or what you didn't like about it. Feel free to not come back to one of these threads for another five months.

"You people watch this shit? Don't you know how much smarter I am than you?"

Given Raw's current ratings, it seems to me that burden of proof should be on WWE's defenders. What exactly was good about this episode? There were no standout matches or promos, nor were there any interesting storyline developments. Sure, there was nothing that was actively awful. Is that the most we can hope for?

I'm not a WWE defender but this was a really interesting storyline development:

p7Lgj1N.gif

GW1bsiF.gif

• Like 4

If this were ECW or Attitude Era, we'd end up with Lana and Summer Rae as lovers, and I'd be perfectly happy with that. I'd like to hear Rusev in his Bulgarian accent, "I'm hardcore. I'll take 'em both."

• Like 3

Am I the only one who doesn't like Summer as Nise Lana?  Wearing her hair in a bun doesn't do her face any favors.

Also, did Darren Young get hurt?  It kinda looked like he did.

Oh, and on the subject of the PTP, I dig their Tommie Copper-ish gear.  Matches the tag belts so well.

Oh my God, I remember really liking the new PTP gear, but I completely slept on how it matched the tag belts... good call!

• Like 1

The pull apart went on much longer than I thought it was going to, and was better than most pull aparts. But noticed the headliners were not part of the pull aparters.

There was a strange moment when Ambrose and Luke Harper exchanged middle finger salutes. That doesn't fit with this shows rating.

So how many times does this make that Kevin Owens just walks out of a match? Is that his new gimmick?

Man, how good is Roman Reigns now?  The match with Harper was really good and you can say "Well, it's Harper, everything he does is good" but the match was really cemented by how good Regins was at selling.  When he landed on the floor, I was sure he'd legit injured himself, then realized he was just selling the hell out of that bump.

Watching that match and the supposed rumor about Ambrose/Reings/Sting-Wyatts I was fantasy-booking who could be an acceptable Wyatt.  There isn't really anyone on the roster, or in NXT whom I would like as a fit there, and then I was thinking of ROH guys like Hanson (Mainly because he's big and has a beard) then realized whom I'd like the most as the newest Wyatt Family member: their crazy chicken farming relative Mark Briscoe.  He'd be so great as their insane cousin who actually ends up being too crazy for the Wyatts.

This is the first Raw I can remember EVER watching where I went "Oh Good, I was hoping we'd get two divas matches."  In all honesty, I could've watched a third.  I have a feeling that Charlotte is going to be the first of the NXT divas (Meaning her, Becky and Sasha) who is going to be super-over and win the Divas title because she does so much exciting stuff that nobody else on the roster is doing, but man does Sasha have some star quality to her.

So there's no way Cena drops the title clean if he's in the world title picture, right?  Meaning that they took their biggest star and used him for the past three months to build up a title and then they're just going to shenanigans it off him, undoing all that work.

They should just transfer it to Cesaro, Cesaro holds the Antonio Cesaro US Open Challenge, nobody comes out, and then the belt immediately turns to dust in his hands and is never mentioned again.

• Like 1

I'm not a WWE defender but this was a really interesting storyline development:

p7Lgj1N.gif

GW1bsiF.gif

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I just take it as a given that a wrestler is supposed to be banging any female he's attached to in storyline.

Maybe the problem is that you don't even know what the fucking storyline developments are being you aren't paying attention. Especially when there have been so many posts in this thread about what makes it cool.

What does "banging" have to do with Summer Rae suddenly transforming into fake Lana?

Putting KO in the ring with 5 of the biggest and most in shape dudes on the roster was certainly not a good way to protect your talent. Dude look like a bum next to those guys. It's impossible to ever take him seriously as the strong bruiser type when he legit looked like the fat cousin your mom makes you play with out there. 

Bah. Not having been ROHbotically programmed to recognize what a badass hoss Kevin Steen was all these years, I thought this snotnose looked way too much like some YouTube cult movie reviewer to take all that seriously ever since he first showed up on RAW regardless of who he was pitted against. Mostly I didn't think creative would take him seriously. That's not to say I haven't dug his work since he got called up to the main roster. Popfly powerbomb made me a believer. Glad to see Triple H has taken a liking to a guy who isn't just another catalog model milquetoast like that sillypants sad sack Dolph Ziggler.

No matter how high your opinion of Owens is though, I also thought people who thought he was finally going to be the one to knock Cena down a peg in these "trilogies" were seriously stroking themselves. For a guy who looks like his workout supplements are Cheetos and Fruit Loops and his workout equipment an XBOX controller, it was a huge fucking deal for him to get a clean win over Cena in his main roster PPV debut. Be thankful for that. I mean you know Vince has to consider this pudgy yo-yo lifelong indy guy the ultimate deluded heel to think he belongs anywhere near a WWE ring and I'm not just talking about his disrespectful dickhead character either.

Watching that match and the supposed rumor about Ambrose/Reings/Sting-Wyatts I was fantasy-booking who could be an acceptable Wyatt.  There isn't really anyone on the roster, or in NXT whom I would like as a fit there, and then I was thinking of ROH guys like Hanson (Mainly because he's big and has a beard) then realized whom I'd like the most as the newest Wyatt Family member: their crazy chicken farming relative Mark Briscoe.  He'd be so great as their insane cousin who actually ends up being too crazy for the Wyatts.

Ha! I see that this exact line of thinking from Hanson to Brisco was already discussed in the General Wrestling thread.

That Rusev GIF has been popping up all over online. I love Rusev as a performer, that much is obvious from my posts, and it really sucks that they'll never do anything with him. He's so talented and should be marked to carry this company someday. 

I saw the 'Taker/Brock thing too. Nope, looked stupid. That match is bar none the least possible interesting thing they could do to burn a Lesnar date. Well, no, Brock/Kane or Brock/Big Show might be more uninteresting. Maybe. The Summerslam card looks like shit so far. Massive creative rut on these shows. No wonder they'll be pulling below 2.0s by autumn.

Also is that a fucking cockfight what the shit. The dark one looks like Little Jerry. 

That Rusev segment was gold. "I must go to my match now."

Overall a pretty fun show. I enjoyed it more than Battleground. Harper/Roman was a fun hard-hitting match, and PTP/Matadores was a great little under-the-radar match in the 5 or so minutes it got. The women's tag ended up being decent too. Paige and Sasha really stood out, I wish Becky got to show a little more on the offensive side of things, but there's plenty of time for that. If my math's right (and there's no guarantee on that at this hour), there are 54 different singles or tag match combinations they can run, and I'd be willing to bet we see most of them at some point in the next few months. They need to play Sasha's theme more and Naomi's theme less, though.

Edit: Imagine an alternate universe where Rusev teams with Santino instead of Koslov...

I didn't even notice Rusev looking at Lana like that while kissing Summer. That is such a nice touch.

The Taker/Brock fight was the best old man retirement home fight ever. Taker also reminded me of Burt Lancaster in Tough Guys. He's the type to start a fight cause he's not getting his steak. Taker still has all his teeth. He wants some real meat. The reason why they are fighting makes no sense though. Taker's been this pissed about Brock for that long...except for that brief period earlier this year during Wrestlemania. We're just gonna ignore that.

Stephanie being all YEAH WOMEN is so amusing. This is probably going to end with her facing one of the Bella's again.

And of course we're gonna get Cena/Rollins. Cena needs to beat Rollins for the title so Sheamus can beat Cena for the title. They weren't about to do Sheamus/Brock (which would have been fun), So Vince goes to his failsafe of Cena.

That Rusev segment was gold. "I must go to my match now."

Overall a pretty fun show. I enjoyed it more than Battleground. Harper/Roman was a fun hard-hitting match, and PTP/Matadores was a great little under-the-radar match in the 5 or so minutes it got. The women's tag ended up being decent too. Paige and Sasha really stood out, I wish Becky got to show a little more on the offensive side of things, but there's plenty of time for that. If my math's right (and there's no guarantee on that at this hour), there are 54 different singles or tag match combinations they can run, and I'd be willing to bet we see most of them at some point in the next few months. They need to play Sasha's theme more and Naomi's theme less, though.

Edit: Imagine an alternate universe where Rusev teams with Santino instead of Koslov...

I like Naomi's theme!

The 'Brie Mode' theme can go away, though.  It was super-awkward watching Nikki do her little ramptop pose to her sister's theme, too.