DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw vs. Barão II (7/25/2015) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I think either way it may be wishful thinking, but they really don't have a host of viable options. Johnny Eduardo wants to fight Thomas Almeida and that could happen on the 11/7 Sao Paulo show. However, I would think the UFC wants to get Dillashaw back in there prior to the year ending. If that is the plan, then Cruz and Assuncao are really the only viable options. Assuncao has been out for a little bit too long to make that fight marketable even if he hasn't lost since the night Jon Jones won the LHW title. Cruz has a built in storyline and didn't even lose his belt in the cage. If Jon Jones is getting a title shot, then Cruz should be given the same opportunity seeing as he has one fight already under his belt.

• Like 1

I just wonder how much more can Cruz's body take?  Had like back to back major knee injuries, finally comes back and fights again, then tears the ACL in his other knee.

Personally, I don't want to find out. I would think that he has chosen to dial it back until it comes time and makes sense to train harder. It's just my opinion, but I don't think he should be the "fight on Saturday and get back in the gym on Monday" type fighter anymore. Like a lot of people, I think he would be a great coach as well as a potential color commentator. This would be the perfect time to really start that transition if he hasn't already. He had did the Shooto Brazil show. If he managed it right, he could definitely be a guy who can successfully juggle being an elite fighter, great analyst, and good head coach. That would be a first for combat sports.

• Like 2