DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw vs. Barão II (7/25/2015) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

CGiMI7_VIAEHIaR.jpg

UFC on Fox 16: Dillashaw vs. Barão II

July 25, 2015

Chicago, IL (United Center)

UFC Bantamweight Championship: T.J. Dillashaw © (135) vs. Renan Barão (135) (second defense) - Dillashaw, TKO (strikes), R4 (0:35)

Miesha Tate (135.5) vs. Jessica Eye (136) - Tate, DEC (unanimous)

Edson Barboza (155) vs. Paul Felder (155.5) - Barboza, DEC (unanimous)

Joe Lauzon (155.5) vs. Takanori Gomi (155.5) - Lauzon, TKO (punches), R1 (2:37)

Fox Preliminary Card:

Gian Villante (205) vs. Tom Lawlor (203) - Lawlor, KO (punch), R2 (0:27)

Jim Miller (155) vs. Danny Castillo (155.5) - Miller, DEC (split)

Kenny Robertson (170) vs. Ben Saunders (170.5) - Saunders, DEC (split)

Eddie Wineland (136) vs. Bryan Caraway (135.5) - Caraway, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Daron Cruickshank (155) vs. James Krause (155.5) - Krause, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:27)

Ramsey Nijem (156) vs. Andrew Holbrook (155.5) - Holbrook, DEC (split)

Jessamyn Duke (135.5) vs. Elizabeth Phillips (135) - Phillips, DEC (unanimous)

Zak Cummings (170.5) vs. Dominique Steele (170.5) - Cummings, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:43)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Tom Lawlor

Performance of the Night: T.J. Dillashaw

Fight of the Night: Edson Barboza vs. Paul Felder

Attendance: 11,663

Gate: $1.2 million

Rating: 2.76 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

Anthony Pettis vs. Myles Jury - Injury to Pettis (Elbow)

Myles Jury vs. Edson Barboza - Injury to Jury

Danny Castillo vs. Rustam Khabilov - Khabilov Visa Issues

Erik Koch vs. Ramsey Nijem - Injury to Koch

Zak Cummings vs. Antônio Braga Neto - Injury to Neto

I just watched the Road to the Octagon special for this show. For some reason, I'm leaning toward Barao to win the belt back. From the training footage, he doesn't seem as stuck in the mud like he did against TJ the first time and against Gagnon. I think my biggest concern is just the weight cut. It's easy to be whooping ass when you're fully hydrated and in the middle of camp. Doing that after a big weight cut is another story.

Also, coming out of this special, I think Miesha needs to get some duck tape or like a less revealing sports bra. Maybe it's a comfort thing, but she was all over the place. I will say that the UFC does know their demographic though. :)

By the way, Miesha jinxed herself by saying that Caraway and her were the UFC's only couple. Apparently, this was probably taped before the formation of the new rhyming surname MMA power couple of Paige VanZant and Cody Garbrandt.

I just watched the Road to the Octagon special for this show. For some reason, I'm leaning toward Barao to win the belt back. From the training footage, he doesn't seem as stuck in the mud like he did against TJ the first time and against Gagnon. I think my biggest concern is just the weight cut. It's easy to be whooping ass when you're fully hydrated and in the middle of camp. Doing that after a big weight cut is another story.

Also, coming out of this special, I think Miesha needs to get some duck tape or like a less revealing sports bra. Maybe it's a comfort thing, but she was all over the place. I will say that the UFC does know their demographic though. :)

i've been planning to pick Barao since the rematch was announced, but it's completely dependent on how he looks Friday at the weigh-ins.

Meisha all over the place? time to watch the Road to the Octagon.

Guest Edwin

Very much looking forward to the top 2 fights on Saturday. I think either fight will be fight of the night.

With Gomi/Lauzon and Fielder/Barboza on the same card, that's going to be hard to pull off.

Cruickshank/Krause from the prelims maybe able to pull it off too.

Renan Barao showed up to the weigh-ins and made weight for the fight.  So that's all set at least.

He had a close call, but he made it. Jordan Breen was at the open workouts in Chicago and said he didn't have a ton of energy.  At this point, win or lose, I expect him to be a featherweight pretty soon. There is going to be a time where the pounds just won't come off. Hopefully, Nova Uniao knows that.

• Like 1

That's why I think the IV bans make sense.  I think these weight cuts give fighters a false sense of security.  Cole Miller hasn't excelled at all at featherweight, but he thinks he feels big strong at 145, even though he was more successful as a lightweight.  Meanwhile, while they kill themselves to get down to that mark, it's not really helping them for the fight at all.  

Re-watching and watching for the first time fights of people featured on this card the past few weeks and, my God, how hasn't Jessica Eye been knocked senseless yet? Her chin is so high up, just asking for an upper cut and she charges in with her head perfectly centred. Just a trainwreck waiting to happen but the rest of the division is so, so bad and she's pretty agile (I guess agile enough to not get caught often). I really hope we get more skilled women at 135 soon. Eye would make for the ideal Cyborg fodder though, if Cristiane ever makes the jump. Tate's no world beater but she should be able to land enough or take her down to win on points. 

I'm hoping Barboza wins but I could see one of Felder's high risk, flashy strikes putting Edson on his ass. Barboza gets caught too often and we all know that jaw can't take too much punishment. Should be a fantastic fight.

Re-watching and watching for the first time fights of people featured on this card the past few weeks and, my God, how hasn't Jessica Eye been knocked senseless yet? Her chin is so high up, just asking for an upper cut and she charges in with her head perfectly centred. Just a trainwreck waiting to happen but the rest of the division is so, so bad and she's pretty agile (I guess agile enough to not get caught often). I really hope we get more skilled women at 135 soon. Eye would make for the ideal Cyborg fodder though, if Cristiane ever makes the jump. Tate's no world beater but she should be able to land enough or take her down to win on points. 

I'm hoping Barboza wins but I could see one of Felder's high risk, flashy strikes putting Edson on his ass. Barboza gets caught too often and we all know that jaw can't take too much punishment. Should be a fantastic fight.

Women's bantamweight is the division I see where one really good prospect could absolutely clean house. That's why Eye and a few others have been able to stay afloat. They're basically taking advantage of there not being a ton of top shelf talent. It's basically like middleweight at the time Silva/Franklin I was about to happen. Chris Leben of all people was putting together a real win streak before running into Anderson Silva and getting dismantled.

If Cyborg was able to actually make weight, she could stack bodies and just put lye on all of 'em not named Rousey.

I really hope Pannie Kianzad can put it together because she has all the physical tools to be that prospect.

Kianzad's built like a brick shithouse for the division and looked to have good speed and agility on top of her power. She was able get easy take downs and maintain decent top control. She needs to work on being more effective with strikes from the top though. Her standup looked pretty raw but she has enough instincts that she's probably better than most.

I mean, as I was doing a binge watch of fighters the past few weeks, I checked out Bethe's 3 UFC fights. She was taken down easily by Jessamyn fucking Duke with a few judo throws and while her standing technique isn't bad, it took her a while to put down Baszler, who's basically a walking concussion at this point, so she doesn't have a tonne of power. The Rousey fight will last all of 30 seconds. I honestly don't see how she can win unless she lands the perfect punch. That division is such a joke and so badly needs Cyborg. I think the biggest fight UFC can put on right now after Aldo/McGregor (UFC's claiming 1 million busy for 189 on McGregor's bio btw) is Ronda vs. Cyborg after Cyborg devours a few ladies and they build the hype train. I can see why they're hesitant with Cyborg due to the weight cutting and past issues with PEDs but that could do huge, huge numbers and it's my most anticipated possible (semi-possible?) fight right now.

• Like 2

I don't know what is it is about female MMA in Brazil (maybe it's just like the regional scene w/ males), but it moves at like half-speed even compared to most of the mid-level female MMA bouts in Invicta. Larissa Pacheco is ok-ish (she beat Aldana FWIW), but she is far from a UFC level fighter. So her getting her arm AND jaw broken by Germaine de Randamie is no surprise to me. This is AFTER she got pummeled by a Jessica Andrade, who ideally would be at 125.

I think the reason why Bethe got past that whole scene is just toughness. The problem is she was never challenged enough to actually change stuff up, and she definitely hasn't been challenged enough in the UFC to do that. Those girls who she has beaten in the UFC could have a 10 week camp with the best trainers in the world in Big Bear and still lose to Bethe Correia.

Therefore, Correia being able to have some type of advantage despite her skills just being decent boxing, slightly above rudimentary movement, solid cage awareness, and strength tells you all there is to know about women's bantamweight at the moment.

Eye vs. Tate in an ideal world would just be a fight to get those women to their next fight. It wouldn't be a title eliminator.

did the UFC show any interest in Marloes Coenen back when they brought in most of the Strikeforce fighters? she was a standout in the division but instead went to Invicta and ultimately Bellator. i haven't heard her name in a while so she must not be doing much. i enjoyed her SF fights and would like to see her get in there with the UFC girls. Also, she's a former SF champ who hasn't fought Rousey, so there's that.....