DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Movie-Watcher Questionnaire

caley

Roger Ebert.com is doing a questionnaire in which they're trying to introduce the reviewers on their site by having them answer a questionnaire about films and it's interesting, but I thought it would be much more interesting to read the answers from the folks on here (I dumped a couple non-movie questions from their list).

1. Where did you grow up, and what was it like?
2. Was anyone else in your family into movies? If so, what effect did they have on your moviegoing tastes?
3. What's the first movie you remember seeing, and what impression did it make on you?
4. What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it."
5. What's the first movie you ever walked out of?
6. What's the funniest film you've ever seen?
7. What's the saddest film you've ever seen?
8. What's the scariest film you've ever seen?
9. What's the most romantic film you've ever seen?
10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?
11. What movie have you seen more times than any other?
12. What was your first R-rated movie, and did you like it?
13. What's the most visually beautiful film you've ever seen?
14. Who are your favorite leading men, past and present?
15. Who are your favorite leading ladies, past and present?
16. Who's your favorite modern filmmaker?
17. Who's your least favorite modern filmmaker?
18. What film do you love that most people seem to hate?
19. What film do you hate that most people love?
20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.
21. What aspect of modern theatrical moviegoing do you like least?
22. What aspect of moviegoing during your childhood do you miss the most?
23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about whether a movie was good or bad?
24. What movies have you dreamed about?
25. What concession stand item can you not live without?
  • Like 1

Kelowna, BC.  It was a mid-size town, really hot in the summer, with two movie theaters, both downtown.  One of them has since been turned into a new-age healing center, while the other shows more artsier/indier movies.  Two more theaters have spring up since.

2. Was anyone else in your family into movies? If so, what effect did they have on your moviegoing tastes?

My Mom and Dad are both into movies.  They agree on almost nothing when it comes to movies.  My dad loves action movies and romantic comedies (Way more than my mother does).  The former definitely influenced me in loving action movies, myself, and we still try to take in the bigger actionier flicks together.  My mother loves comedies and older films.  When I finally got around to going back and watching stuff from before I was born, she was a huge influence on that.

3. What's the first movie you remember seeing, and what impression did it make on you?

'Return of the Jedi'.  My parents took me when I was just little.  One of my earliest memories was coming home afterward and being put to bed and putting a pillow over my face, closing my eyes, and pretending that I was driving the speeder bikes

4. What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it."

Honestly can't think of one.  I remember trying to wrap my head around how Indiana Jones and Han Solo were the same person, if that counts.

I've never walked out a movie I've gone to see, no matter how much I detested it ('Life of David Gale' and 'A Knight's Tale', I'm looking at you) but I guess the best answer would be 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom' because my parents somehow thought it would be appropriate for a pre-school boy and I was so terrified that one of them had to take me out of the theater and wander around downtown Edmonton until it was over.

'The Big Lebowski'.  I watch it, on average, at least 2-3 times a year.  And it's never not been really funny.  I just watched it this past weekend and laughed really hard at The Dude writing out a cheque for 69 cents.  Then again at Walter mouthing something about Dude being a baby to Donnie when The Dude is going on about how they screwed up the hand-off and Bunny is going to be murdered.

So many.  I just re-watched 'Brokeback Mountain' and that has to be up there.  'Dolls' or 'Hana-Bi' by Takeshi Kitano are both devastatingly sad.  'The 400 Blows' always gets to me when I think about the kid running toward the camera at the end.  I love the way 'Shotgun Stories' introduces all these silly elements in the first half, then after a big plot point, everything that was silly before becomes tinged with a sadness.  Although I'm not sure there's a moment as thoroughly sad as a particular scene in 'Michael Clayton' where a character, who finally feels like he's making a difference, is killed, and it's done so clinically, thoroughly, as to provide no clue to the perpetrators, and it's just crushing.  But, just after typing all this, I remember 'Nobody Knows' about a single-mother family where the mother takes off and leaves them alone to be looked after by the 11-year-old boy and there's a scene in there, involving shoes that squeak, that is as crushing and sad as anything I've maybe ever seen.

'Audition' really scared the crap out of me and two friends when we saw it.  I remember backing out of their driveway and I was driving my mother's minivan at the time and the pine tree I was parked under dragged needles across the top of the metallic roof and made me absolutely jump out of my skin all over again.

I've always felt like the first half of 'All the Real Girls' is one of the most romantic things I've ever seen.  Just watching this couple fall slowly in love with everything filmed in beautiful, sun-dappled frames of them just hanging out, gradually going from chatting to revealing big secrets.  It doesn't stay romantic, but that first half is glorious.  'Amelie' is another good answer here.

10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?

There's a few.  'Amores Perros' is great, but I've gotten more and more soft-hearted about animals, and there's no way I could watch it again.  Just no way.  Similarly, because of the water buffalo scene, there's probably no chance of me watching 'Apocalypse Now' again.  Just recently, I was watching 'The Good, The Bad and the Weird' and while I wouldn't call it powerful or perfect, I was enjoying it, but realized about halfway that some of the horses were being harmed and I couldn't watch it anymore. 'Grave of the Fireflies' is a non-animal answer, where it's really good, but so painfully sad that I'm not sure I'll ever have the desire to watch it again.

The aforementioned 'The Big Lebowski'.  Mostly comedies fall into this category.  Others I will watch whenever they're on: 'Walk Hard', 'Observe and Report', 'Uncle Buck', 'Planes Trains and Automobiles'.  Recently, I've watched 'Billy Madison' three times in the last three months.  And 'Mud'.  If 'Mud' is on, I'm going to watch part of it.

The first one I think I saw was 'Ghoulies'.  I became convinced, from seeing the cover in the video store of the monster thing coming up through the toilet that I would love it.  I begged my Mom for months to let me rent it.  She finally did and I lasted about fifteen minutes before getting too scared and making her turn it off.  So, no, I did not like it.

So many to mention.  But basically, anything by Terrence Malick ('The Tree of Life' could go into #11 because during its run on our movie channels, I watched a part of it every time it was on; 'Days of Heaven', 'The Thin Red Line', 'The New World', 'To the Wonder').  Let's go with 'The Tree of Life'.

Tom Hardy, Bill Murray and Michael Shannon are almost absolute guarantees that I will watch a film.  Jimmy Stewart is probably my past one, though I seldom pass up Cary Grant, either.

Amy Adams can do no wrong, by me.  Jennifer Lawrence is close, as well.  Past would be Katherine Hepburn, maybe, probably.

Terrence Malick always delivers, for me.  Not far off that mark are Jeff Nichols and Darren Aronofsky.  David Gordon Greens is more hit and miss, these days.  Nicolas Winding Refn is delightfully inconsistent.  His stuff is always worth watching, but I won't always enjoy it.

This is a tough question because most of the bad stuff that I see is usually some commercial/video game director who does one movie than never makes another, or goes on to do straight-to-DVD stuff that never crosses my path again anyways.  Stephen Daldry's a guy whose two biggest films were big Oscar/critical darlings and I did not really care for either (The Reader and The Hours) but I don't know if it's fair to count him because he's only directed 5 films and I've only seen those two.  In some ways, it might be Quentin Tarantino, even though I like a few of his films.

I dunno about hate, but I'm a much bigger fan of 'Observe and Report' than almost anyone else in the world.  I also really loved 'Cloud Atlas' and it was so disliked that it was a punchline in 'Silicon Valley'.  So, probably the latter?

I dunno about hate but I really grew to dislike 'Inglorious Basterds' which people LOVED.  I could not get on board with 'American Beauty', either, but its reputation is more divided.  I don't hate them at all, but I am no big fan of the most beloved Pixar films: Toy Story 3, Up, or Ratatouille.  Any of those should fit the bill.

20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.

When I went to see 'The Fountain', I just kind of decided to see it, knowing almost nothing about it.  Over the last ten minutes or so of the movie, I was completely riveted to the screen, just in awe of what I was watching.  As the lights in the theater came up, I heard people complaining about it ("What the hell was that?!") while I walked quietly back to my car, I sat down, put the keys in the ignition and realized I had basically been holding my breath (Obviously breathing through my nose, mind you) since the climax of the film and suddenly released it in the car.  It was one of the most affecting moments in film that I'd ever felt.

Cellphones are an easy target here but, truthfully, I usually take in matinees or less popular flicks, so it's never been a huge source of annoyance to me (Except the time that one woman answered a call, and carried on a conversation during 'House of Flying Daggers' despite people shouting at her).  So I'll probably go with the nit-picky nature of some conversation about film.  Like I have a friend who will sometimes not watch movies but thinks he has an opinion on them because he watches those real trailers, or whatever they're called where they point out every little flaw/inconsistency they can find and the conversations become more about plot points, or suspension of disbelief than it does about what the film made you feel.  If that makes sense.

The price.  Honestly, I'd go to the movies every weekend, sometimes twice in a day, if I could pull off the whole enterprise for $2-3 bucks a pop.  We actually do have a discount theater here, but it's like an half an hour drive to get there, so by the time you factor in gas and traffic, it's really not worth the effort.  I also miss video stores.  So much. We have one here, but it's a twenty minute drive.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about whether a movie was good or bad?

The closest I can think of was going to see '28 Days Later' with a group of friends and when it was over, we were walking back to our cars and a friend went "Worst movie ever" and I went "Oh, I kind of liked it" and a couple others chimed in that they liked it, too.  "Well maybe if I was sitting down where you guys were and could make fun of it, I would have liked it" the first friend said, to which we replied that no, we really had liked it, not in a making fun of it kind of way.  The first friend then got into his car, said something again about it being the worst car, and sped off home.  The rest of us looked at each other in surprise and went "Oh, I guess we're not hanging out anymore tonight" and laughed.  A few months later, we weren't really friends, but I don't think it was the divide of opinion over '28 Days Later' that created the separation.

I dream about them, all the time, I'm often in them.  Hanging out with people I've watched onscreen.  But I honestly can't think of a single one right now.

None.  Lately, I've been drifting away from all of them.  I haven't drank pop/soda in almost three and a half months now.  In fact, my latest crazy thing I like to do, is buy a bag of bean sprouts and smuggle it into the theater and snack on bean sprouts while I watch a film.  At home, I do like a bowl of chips with my movies, and a glass of water, but neither is a necessity.

Hendersonville, TN. Midsized southern town, SPORTS GO SPORTS attitude, middle-class and very very white. Not terribly friendly to a kid who loved wacky scifi shit. In the early days we only had one theater, it was in a crummy strip mall and had like four or five different screens. Later on that'd be replaced by a shiny new ten-screener in a standalone building, which itself was subsequently replaced by an even shinier twenty-screener.

Nope. Casual fans, the lot of 'em. They did pretty much censor what I was able to see, I wasn't allowed to watch R-rated movies until I hit puberty.

Dumb question. Could be any of half-a-dozen different barely-remembered films. Let's just say "Star Wars and it was awesome" and leave it there.

Another dumb question. I was always aware of this.

It wasn't my choice: while watching Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, my mom dragged me out of the theater when she got freaked out by a black guy who sat next to us and kept talking to me.

Airplane!

Dancer in the Dark

Alien

Amelie

10. Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?

Martyrs

Night of the Living Dead, probably.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day and FUCK YEAH.

Apocalypse Now

How exactly do you define this category's boundaries? Buster Keaton and Harrison Ford, then. And also Toshiro Mifune because fuck this quiz's poor wording.

Does Sigourney Weaver count as past or present? Do they just mean "dead or alive"? Should I also mention Katherine Hepburn and Kate Winslet, or go with Nicole Kidman?

James Cameron. Seriously.

I can only name one? Michael Ba- no, that's too easy. Let's go with Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, the dickbiters behind those absolutely godawful parody movies which seem to have actually killed that subgenre of filmmaking.

Oh man, got a year? Let's keep it recent and go with Texas Chainsaw 3D.

A Clockwork Orange. Sadistic pretentious rubbish.

20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because
of the circumstances in which you saw it.

Uh... all kinds of stories could go here, couldn't they? Let's say "seeing Saving Private Ryan mere days after my father had been riddled with bullets by a home invader (don't worry, dad's fine now) was not my wisest decision".

If you see a movie with a bad crowd, that. For every-time consistencies, I'd say the ever-growing number of ads and trailers before we finally get to see our damn movie.

Nothing comes to mind. Seriously, these questions suck.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about
whether a movie was good or bad?

Not exactly. Once when I briefly dated a girl who was way too young for me, she made me watch some damn movie about cheerleading or gymnastics or something and it was terrible but the chick clearly loved it. This was only one of several hints that she wasn't the one for me.

I don't remember most of my dreams. The xenomorph from Alien has made cameos in my nightmares, so yeah, I guess that one.

There is something sinfully indulgent about gobbling down an entire large buttered popcorn by yourself. But I was also quite fond of Twizzlers; I only buy them in movies, dunno why. Guess they just have good value, you get a big pack of them and they're easy and quiet to eat during a movie.

Mid-Sized English seaside town. 1 Rundown cinema (still is) but as it serviced the whole town it still had all the nationally released movies. Had to wait until adulthood to really go to a good cinema in the next city over.

Not really, all my male relatives obviously loved Star Wars and James Bond, but no one in particular had a passion.

There's got to be a few really, Jurassic Park and Hook I remember seeing at the Cinema. Of which Hook gave me nightmares as I stayed over at my grandparents that night and they had bay windows which looked just like the window the kids were taken from. I also remember watching James Bond films on TV around Christmas time. And also the Great Escape which I vividly remember watching when I can't have been more than 6 years old, but it kept me quiet for the full 2 hours 52 minutes runtime, which I'm sure my babysitter was very happy with. I was also obsessed with the VHS of Mary Poppins and used to rewind it and watch it all over again until the tape was ruined.

Probably something like Pulp Fiction. Due to the scenes being out of order, this was very unusual at the time and everyone wanted to know more about Tarantino and what he would do next in his films.

I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie, but I definitely hated the Happening and sprinted out as soon as the conclusion had become apparent. (Really M Night, plants? Plants?!)

If we're talking what made me laugh the most it was probably something from my childhood like Innerspace or Dumb and Dumber. In recent years I really can only think of Anchorman and The Other Guys as being decent. Big Lebowski too, doesn't have laugh out loud moments particularly, but it more stays with you and you get the giggles thinking about it the next few days after. 

Well if we're talking tears, as a manly man I was only welling up with the beginning of Up and the ending of Marley and Me. They are designed to make you cry though. If we're talking about becoming sad by the events of the whole film then something like the Pianist kicked my ass, also made me hungry. Just recently I watched St Vincent expecting an out and out comedy, but got a lump in my throat a few times at that, and the film was much better for it.

I don't really get scared, although the ending of Blair Witch was creepy. For suspense and a couple jump scares I'd throw in the Doctor Who episode Blink, has to be one of my favourite TV episodes of all time. I am in no hurry to re-watch the Fly ever though. I'm fine with jumps and gore, but anything to do with hair, eyes, nails, teeth is too cringe worthy for me.

Casablanca or Sunset Boulevard. They don't do romance as good as the old movies did romance.

I've only ever watched Fight Club once, and I didn't know about the ending. Same with Sixth Sense. I guess it has lost it's appeal knowing the twist. I find the Nolan Batman trilogy you need to be in the right mood for. It is a very gritty realisation and I don't often want dark and realistic. Also they are so long, longer movies rarely get a re-watch from me nowadays as I'm so busy.

Back To The Future, Hook, Mary Poppins (Childhood). Pulp Fiction, Old Star Wars Trilogy, From Dusk Till Dawn.

I remember being up when Mortal Kombat was rented, it's kind of tame now, but it was an 18 and I think I was 10. And of course I loved it, I was a 10 year old boy, that movie is fantastic for 10 yr old boys!

As per the other current cinematography thread I'll go with Chinatown, and Leon The Professional.

Steve McQueen, the King of Cool. Jack Nicholson for his performances. Will Smith has up until recent years barely put a foot wrong, and has to be an inspiration to millions. Jackie Chan has to get a mention for being batshit insane and holding the record for most stunts performed, most of which were completely nuts. Not to mention the huge amount of films he has been in.

Faye Dunaway in the 70s had it all, looks, charisma and could act her fucking socks off. I'm not sure about current ladies, I love Monster, so I'll nominate Charlize Theron. Rachel Weisz while hasn't been in many movies I would consider critically acclaimed masterpieces, has been in some very enjoyable movies. The Mummy, Constantine, Enemy at the Gates all get rewatches from me on a regular basis, so she must be doing something right.

There is actually quite a few, I can't pick a favourite as they all have their own style. Tarantino, Polanski, John Carpenter. All different, but I pretty much love all of their films without exception. Joss Whedon has produced some of my favourite shows and looks promising in his movie career.  Luc Besson has to get a mention purely for the sheer amount of action movies he has been involved with that have all been hugely enjoyable. Seriously just look at his IMDB there is too many to mention here.

M Night Shymalahan, Signs and Sixth Sense enjoyable. Unbreakable a favourite of mine, but....everything else is the drizzling shits. He needs to go hide in a mountain cave and find himself.

Bit stuck on this one, can only really think of stupid movies I liked during my teenage years like Scary Movie, Anchorman, Animal House, American Pie. But those are pretty subjective and if you're the right age you'd like them too. I will argue until I'm blue in the face that BTTF 2 is better than 1, but I am always outnumbered in that for some reason. (He goes to the future AND the past!) This isn't the time or the place for that discussion.

Probably all these new Bond films. The beauty of Bond is that you don't need to reboot it, you can continue on with new actors, but I wasn't a fan of Craig when C:R was announced, and decided already before it came out that I would hate it and I did. I felt the reboot was completely unnecessary and the same with the new Spiderman movies, but I'm not alone in that. The Bourne movies were popular, but found all that shaky cam stuff to be too ADHD for me.

I don't really have any which is sad. I just remember going to see movies with a lot of family which meant a lot to me because we were all together, but nothing stands out in particular.

Well I've mentioned reboots and shaky cam during action scenes, but you really want to know what grinds my gears? White meat babyfaces in movies and TV. Bland template white guys with no muscle and floppy hair and I'm supposed to believe they're going to save the day and get the girl? Get the hell of here with that, I want guys with hulking muscles and one liners like Arnie. I want charm and stud farm-like libidos like James Bond. I want men who I wish I was like or could become like, like Newman, McQueen, Nicholson and Ford. Look at these muppets they've put in the new sequels to stuff. Who would watch IJ4 (which doesn't really exist in my canon of course) and think oh I wish I could be like Shia Leboeuf? Same with Jai Courtney and DH5. Michael Cera was only ever funny in 1 movie, he is not a leading man except in movies only hipsters like. I hate hipsters.

I guess the lack of knowing it's pretend. Not being as excited for movies as I was then. Luckily Star Wars is changing that, but that's what I thought the last time.

If a girl says they hate Star Wars or dismiss a movie out of hand without even having seen it, then they are seen as a luddite to me and move to the bottom of the pile. I have to educate so many ladies on BTTF, Goonies and Indiana Jones. It's really not on, these movies should be part of the school curriculum.

Hook did give me nightmares as above. I remember dreaming about the Neverending story as it is quite dreamlike anyway, especially with the flying creature being rode in the clouds. Pretty much any Terry Gilliam film has definitely delved into my consciousness.

Not sure what they're called around the world, but a blue raspberry flavoured slush is always a favourite. If I manage to get out to the city there is a Ben and Jerry's bar in the cinema so I'm having whatever I like as it's only a once in a while treat.

I grew up in Pontiac, MI. I had something of an idyllic childhood. I played baseball and was in Cub Scouts. Mom ran the Cub Scouts, Dad was the baseball coach. Went to the arcade with my friends. Played football in the street and baseball in the backyard. Dad took me fishing. Swam at the lake all the time. It was pretty darn great. For movies, we had a bunch of theaters within a couple minutes' drive.

No. Mom & Dad liked movies but weren't huge into them. Ditto for my brother.

Grease. I loved the music and fell in love with Olivia Newton-John, even though I was only 6. Named my dog after her character (Sandy).

Don't know.

Darkman. I found it repulsive and walked out when they cut the guy's fingers off.

I'm gonna go with White Men Can't Jump.

Not sure. I don't really keep track of this.

Arachnophobia. Something about that movie...

Don't know.

10. Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?

The Passion of the Christ. Great movie, excruciatingly violent - no thanks.

Grease - thanks to seeing it a bajillion times when I worked in a video store. I liked having the music on in the background since I couldn't actually watch the movie.

Taipan. Good movie, incredibly awkward viewing experience. Went with my mom and she stared me down looking for a reaction when the topless scene came on.

Probably Disney's Beauty & The Beast.

Robin Williams, Mark Wahlberg, and Matt Damon.

Julia Roberts, Julia Stiles, Jennifer Lawrence.

Don't have one. I don't spend any time thinking about who made a movie, in general.

Don't have one. I don't spend any time thinking about who made a movie, in general.

Rocky 5.

Interstellar. Terrible movie.

Seeing Rocky 5 in the theater with my roommate in college. The theater was PACKED and the crowd was super into the movie. When Tommy scored the big KO at the end, the guy across the aisle from us literally jumped up and danced in the aisle.

The cost and the ridiculous amount of advertising and filler before the movie starts.

The sense of awe and wonderment.

No.

Don't know. I don't remember my dreams.

I gotta have popcorn and a pop. I hate that the theaters now use the zillion flavor Coke machine. It isn't as good as Coke out of a normal fountain.

Schofield (now Weston) WI.  There weren't any kids my age in the neighborhood, so I spent a lot of time reading and watching TV/movies.  We were up the hill from a drive-in theatre, so we used to watch movies and add our own dialogue.

Everyone had their favorites, but it was mainly just me.

Robert Altman's POPEYE.  It's the only movie I've ever seen in a theatre with my dad, so the act of going to the movies had more of an impression on me than the movie itself.  I rediscovered just how amazing it was after Robin Williams' death

When I was 5 1/2, my oldest siblings went to a neighbor's to watch Friday the 13th Part 3 on HBO.  After a little while I sneaked over and was watching it through the screen door.  It scared me so much that I made a vow to figure out how they did all that stuff so I'd never be frightened like that again.

A Midsummer Night's Dream, staring Calista Flockheart.  I realized I had something better to do with my time.

Duck Soup.  Unless I'm angry, then Mars Attacks!

City Lights

Jesus Camp

City Lights

10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?

I've always said I'd never see Memento again, because the twist made me hate Leonard.

I hate to say this, but Zoolander

Friday the 13th, Part 3, as I said earlier.  The first one I watched all the way through was Animal House

Speed Racer, followed closely by The Aviator

Tom Hanks, Jimmy Stewart, Kirk Douglas, Martin Milner, Chris Evans, Paul Rudd

Sally Field, Anne Hathaway, Louise Brooks, Kate Hepburn, Emma Stone, Jenny Agutter

Takashi Miike

Quentin Tarrantino

Speed Racer

Anything by Paul Thomas Anderson or Wes Anderson

On a first date, I brought up watching a movie, and my date said her favorite was A Clockwork Orange.  At that point I had no idea what went on in the movie, so I suggested we watch it.  There was no second date.

No short features beforehand

The lack of drive-ins

I used to have a list of movies that I'd ask girlfriends to watch so they could "know' me better.  Thank god I was still able to get over that bullshit.

Coke

Tabernacle, NJ. Rural-suburban. It was OK I guess.

Not especially so.

I don't remember specifically. My parents took us to see the Disney movies when they came back in the drive-in.

I don't know.

Clear And Present Danger. Went to see it with a friend, we both thought it was boring as fuck.

Don't know that I have a definitive answer. Maybe Dolemite, maybe Major League or Slap Shot.

I was just watching The Killer on Netflix again recently. Man I forgot how fucking depressing that shit ends.

Carnival Of Souls remains my favorite horror movie. That fucking organ music alone is creepy as hell...

I don't really watch a lot of romantic films, so I dunno. I liked Silver Linings Playbook, does that count? As far as romcoms go, I do like The American President a lot, but then I had a thing for Annette Bening back then.

Ikiru is beautiful but goddamn depressing.

Probably Major League, though it's ubiquity on cable for years has as much to do with that as my enjoyment of it.

I don't recall.

Probably something cliche by Kurosawa or Bergman.

Paul Newman was pretty great. Chow Yun-Fat too. Denzel is always awesome. Mifune. Day-Lewis. Neeson. Shit, too many to name.

Already mentioned my Annette Bening love. I also had a serious crush on Lea Thompson.

I kinda wanna say Wes Anderson, which is weird since I have yet to see his last couple movies. That said, The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite movie of all time.

As someone with a weak stomach for the scatalogical, just the fact that the Human Centipede films exist and that I know what they're about makes me want to find the guy responsible and beat him into quadriplegia.

I believe I've sung the praises of Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights on here before.

Goodfellas. I think Liotta sucks in the lead, and it's the beginning of DeNiro sleep-walking through gangster roles.

The greatest experience I've ever had in a movie theatre was seeing Transformers: The Movie as a kid. It was larger than life.

The prices.

Drive-ins.

No.

I can't recall ever dreaming about a movie.

I used to have a serious thing for Sno-Caps back in the day.

Okay I'm IN.

1. Where did you grow up, and what was it like? -  I grew up mostly in Connecticut though I've spent time in other parts with family. Connecticut is really quiet.  Mostly farm towns until you get past Hartford. Storrs had absolutely nothing to do so you drink, you play soccer in the dorms, you drink some more.  I spent a lot of my free time in Providence and Boston as each were about an hour or so away. We didn't ALWAYS get 30 inch snowstorms every single winter. I enjoy having four seasons.

2. Was anyone else in your family into movies? If so, what effect did they have on your moviegoing tastes?  Yes, my Dad was huge into action movies and crime dramas. So was my Mom.  So I grew up with Die Hard, Under Siege, The Last Boy Scout, etc.. and The Godfather and Goodfellas.    He was a huge Arnold fan and that's where my love for sci-fi/action came in. First it was Terminator series which I've watched hundreds of times probably and then I was introduced to Alien. 

3. What's the first movie you remember seeing, and what impression did it make on you? First movie I remember seeing...  God..  it would have to be something Disney related I'm sure like Bambi or The Little Mermaid. Transformers: The Movie was the first one I remember renting ALL THE TIME.  I rented the fuck out of that VHS.  Also, Star Wars and Spaceballs. I rented the crap out of Spaceballs.

4. What's the first movie that made you think, "Hey, some people made this. It didn't just exist. There's a human personality behind it."  Terminator 2 because I remember being blown away by the special effects when I saw it. I didn't know they were special effects. I didn't know how they did it so it interested me quite a bit.

5. What's the first movie you ever walked out of?  I don't really walk out of movies, I think I fell asleep during a few. One was the Final Fantasy movie. Spirits Within.  I was expecting something like the games and no....  nothing like the fucking games at all.

6. What's the funniest film you've ever seen?  When I was younger I'd probably say something like Dumb and Dumber or Ace Ventura but the first time I watched The Big Lebowski I was floored. I immediately watched it again.  So good.  I'm not sure it's the absolute funniest but it was the most memorable experience. 

7. What's the saddest film you've ever seen? Maybe Where the Red Fern Grows?  I cried.  I cry a lot though.

8. What's the scariest film you've ever seen? Again, when I was younger the first horror movies that really freaked me the fuck out where shit like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I remember being terrified of Critters also and they had a big fucking poster or cardboard thing at the movie store.  BUT  later on into my early teens I'd say Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Though, Alien was really scary too.

9. What's the most romantic film you've ever seen?  The latest... would be either Silver Linings Playbook or Her.  I loved both of them.

10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?  Yeah, Schindler's List was like that.  Any movie that is really strong on racism or prejudice.  Actually, most recently 12 Years a Slave killed me. Very good but I never want to experience it again.

11. What movie have you seen more times than any other?  Easily Terminator 2.  I don't think I will ever get tired of it.  Goodfellas might be catching up to it though.

12. What was your first R-rated movie, and did you like it?  Oh, probably T2 or Die Hard.  I think the first pair of on-screen breasts was the chick from Baywatch in Under Siege.

13. What's the most visually beautiful film you've ever seen? We talked about this recently. A bunch of them.  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Prometheus, Mad Max: Fury Road, a bunch of them.

16. Who's your favorite modern filmmaker? Fincher, Scorsese

17. Who's your least favorite modern filmmaker? Probably Michael Bay though I've given him so much fucking money over the years. I don't know how he continues to get me to see his crap.

18. What film do you love that most people seem to hate?  I don't know about most people but obviously a lot of people didn't like Man of Steel and I love it.

19. What film do you hate that most people love? Probably the Iron Man series. I really liked the first one but after that I can't stand them.

20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.  The Fast and the Furious was one where it was me and a couple of my good friends, we just started getting into cars and shit like that and I don't know what it was but we had so much fun watching the first one and nw years later we always make it a point to see the new one. It's an EVENT when a new one comes out.  We are Fast super fans and I love having that for us.  Nobody else we know seems to understand.

21. What aspect of modern theatrical moviegoing do you like least?  Easily special effects because they've come so far yet some things will never ever look as good as the real thing and I'm stuck on practical effects right now.  I'll deal with special effects but the practical I go insane for.

22. What aspect of moviegoing during your childhood do you miss the most? I miss going to the movies with the 2 or 3 small cinema theaters. Now it's all multiplex.  I miss going with my Dad.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about whether a movie was good or bad?  No..  I don't think so.

24. What movies have you dreamed about? Horror movies. They used to give me the worst nightmares and even to this day if I watch something like The Exorcist right before bed...

25. What concession stand item can you not live without?  JUNIOR MINTS. 

20. Tell me about a moviegoing experience you will never forget—not just because of the movie, but because of the circumstances in which you saw it.  The Fast and the Furious was one where it was me and a couple of my good friends, we just started getting into cars and shit like that and I don't know what it was but we had so much fun watching the first one and nw years later we always make it a point to see the new one. It's an EVENT when a new one comes out.  We are Fast super fans and I love having that for us.  Nobody else we know seems to understand.

This reminds me of one of my favourite moviegoing experiences where I wasn't there, but heard about it and it makes me laugh every time.  There was this guy where I then worked (fast food place in the same strip mall as the multiplex) and he was nice but kinda dumb and had an expensive sportscar, even though he was just 16.  He would come in for work and leave after 1-2 hours every shift and somehow didn't comprehend that he wouldn't get paid for the remaining hours and was floored when he didn't have the money to cover his insurance and ended up selling the car.  Anyways, on the opening night of Fast and the Furious, he came out of the film, jumped in his car and revved it like he had just seen in the film, tried to peel out in his sportscar and impress everyone, slid sideways, lost control and popped his tire on the curb with a loud bang.  God, what I would have given to have been able to witness that!

• Like 1

Dumb question. Could be any of half-a-dozen different barely-remembered films. Let's just say "Star Wars and it was awesome" and leave it there.

Another dumb question. I was always aware of this.

Nothing comes to mind. Seriously, these questions suck.

You do know this wasn't a mandatory quiz?

grew up poor in a small town in the midwest. it was fine.

eh, not really. my one time stepdad liked westerns and James Bond flicks. i also like Bond but can't stand westerns. My mom liked movies from the 70s, which i generally avoid.

the actual first movie i saw in theaters was Transformers, but i don't remember anything about watching it at that point. I actually have no idea. as a kid, we had a bunch of VHS taped from tv. the Indiana Jones trilogy, the Star Wars trilogy, etc., and i watched them endlessly.

i don't even know what this question is asking. and i don't know how to answer it.

if i'm paying money to watch a movie, then i am absolutely watching the entire thing.

Super Troopers. saw it in theaters on a friend's whim and have thanked him for it ever since. i quote this movie AT LEAST once a week.

the first movie i ever cried at was "All Dogs Go To Heaven" when i was but a kid. there haven't been many that have equaled that.

i love horror and slasher films, but i don't find them scary. a lot of them are creepy in a "if this actually happened to me" kinda way, and plenty of them make you jump, but actual scary? nah.

i'd have to give this a lot of thought, but i'm not really one for romance in movies. it's so overplayed.

Almost Famous. it's probably my favorite movie, but i rarely watch it because i feel it takes the magic away.

probably Super Troopers. it used to be a go-to for late night movie watchings. Still makes me laugh. a lot.

ratings were never really something that we paid attention to as a kid. Even from a young age, i was watching Friday the 13th movies and action flicks.

the Matrix was the first movie whose effects really dazzled me.

Brad Pitt. Mark Wahlberg.

i'm sure there's someone, but i'm blanking right now. i'll probably kick myself later.

Tarantino hasn't done me wrong yet.

i'm going to say michael bay, although i haven't seen any of his current movies. they just don't interest me. a more correct answer would probably be M. Night Shamalan or whatever. fuck that guy.

the Adventures of Captain Zoom in Outer Space.
ok, so most people haven't heard of it, but i love it anyway and wanted to give it some props.

Napoleon Dynamite

me and a couple friends went to see the Blair Witch Project. we drove 30 miles to get to the theater (i rode in the bed of a pickup). It's the only movie i've ever been ID'd at, and i was too young to watch but both my friends were of age. i said i forgot my ID and they let me in anyway.

ticket prices.

somebody else buying the ticket?

no. that sounds like a friendship that is horribly strained already.

none that i know of, although situations from movies undoubtedly pop in occasionally.

my go-to is a pop and Mamba candy. and of course popcorn.

Goodfellas. I think Liotta sucks in the lead, and it's the beginning of DeNiro sleep-walking through gangster roles.

Hey, I thought I was the only one who thought all the non-Pesci acting in Goodfellas was extremely overrated. Nice to know I'm not alone.

You do know this wasn't a mandatory quiz?

Free will is nothing but an illusion, maaaaaaaan (takes a bong hit).
  • Like 1

I will argue until I'm blue in the face that BTTF 2 is better than 1, but I am always outnumbered in that for some reason. (He goes to the future AND the past!) This isn't the time or the place for that discussion.

there are people that like the first better than the second?

i want to change one of my answers. if i am friends with someone that likes BTTF1 more than BTTF2, i will de-friend them immediately.

• Like 1

I don't understand the love for BTTF2. First people were saying it was better than 3, which I never understood, now it's transitioning to being better than BTTF? BTTF is a perfect movie, 2 is decidely NOT.

I don't understand the love for BTTF2. First people were saying it was better than 3, which I never understood, now it's transitioning to being better than BTTF? BTTF is a perfect movie, 2 is decidely NOT.

BTTF2 was called the best movie ever made on the science of time-travel by none other than Carl Sagan himself. It expands on the concept of alternate timelines as a result of altering the past, and does it well. I honestly have a hard time understanding how anyone can say BttF2 is inferior to the admittedly excellent BttF1.

Cleveland, OH. The greatest city in America. 

My dad likes movies, or more accurately likes being up to date on pop culture. I don't think you could accurately call him a film buff or anything, but he likes seeing and reading about film.

Wizard of Oz, maybe? I remember my dad bought it when we got a VCR. 

I have no idea. 

Don't tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

Pootie Tang

Breaker Morant?

I remember thinking Evil Dead was scary when I was a kid, but that may have been a product of watching it a bit too young. 

Rushmore?

No, I think part of film's power is digesting it, and wanting to share it. There are films I like that I've only seen once, but it's not out of some concept of keeping them perfect. I think that's foolish. 

Wet Hot American Summer, probably. 

Conan the Barbarian. Are there people who don't like that movie?

Picnic at Hanging Rock, maybe. 

Charlie Bronson, Paul Newman

Sigourney Weaver, Jena Malone

Shane Carruth

This is impossible to answer, there are so many people out there we don't see anything from. I dunno, the people who keep making Saw movies?

Speed Racer

Does Crash still count? I feel like perception may have turned enough where it's no longer beloved. 

Seeing the Friday the 13th remake opening night at the blackest theatre in Cleveland with a bunch of friends who were high. 

Price, I suppose. 

Yearning to see a movie repeatedly in the theatre because it was next to impossible to own a copy of a movie. Now I can watch shit on my phone while pooping in high definition.

Once my friends and I got a bunch of people together to watch Wet Hot American Summer, and there were three girls who did not find it funny at all. We drove them home in silence knowing that any relationship potential was fleeting. We ended up watching the movie again. 

Loads. I dunno. 

I drink a lot of coke in my daily life, but I generally don't get any concessions.

I was born in Harrisburg, Pa, but lived most of my childhood in a boarding school in Hershey, Pa

I grew up on blaxspoitation movies, and the time my mom brother and I were together, we went to the drive-in alot.

Black Belt Jones.  I wanted to be a kung-fu guy when I was little.

I don't have an answer for this.  I don't think that deep into movies.

Kung Pow.  The 2nd worst movie I ever saw.

I love comedies, but I'm thinking the funniest movie I might have ever seen would be The Other Guys.

Radio Flyer, hands down.

I'm just going to go with Texas Chainsaw Massacre

True Romance.  That's love right there baby.

No.

the original Star Wars

I'm sure it was a blaxspoitation film, but the first one I can really remember was Armacord.  My mom had just gotten cable, and the first time I saw boobs on tv

Harrison Ford and Denzel Washington

Amy Madigan, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Jason Leigh.  I have no clue really.  

James Cameron by default.

Don't have one.

Grown Ups.  I just don't understand the hate.

Wall-E.  I'll never get that time back.

Smacking the shit of some guy who wouldn't be quiet and didn't think I was gully enough to make him shut up.

Spending $30 for consessions.  $4 Snickers???  Suck my dick!

the "Let's Go Out To The Lobby" bumpers before movies.  

It's never that serious.

Star Wars

A cherry Icee.

I'm almost too casual/rarely a movie watcher anymore to even bother. But I like filling these things out so okay.

South side of Edmonton Alberta. It was a rural area where I lived then, now it's gone, being turned into condos or a shopping mall or some damn thing. Last time I drove by it I didn't even know I was driving by it until it was gone.

Not really. I got really into film as a teenager and in my early 20's but it's faded away pretty badly over the last few years. If I had a better internet plan that could absorb the bandwidth use for something like Netflix it might be different.

A Christmas Carol. The 1951 Scrooge movie with Alastair Sim. I still watch it every year on Christmas Eve (or pretty close to that).

I'm thinking it was probably Fantasia. It's pretty artsy for a kid's flick, but I remember liking it when I saw it as a wee person.

I've never walked out of a film in theaters but I rarely go to one. I refused to watch all of SAW at a friend's place once. Fuck SAW.

Dr. Strangelove is my favourite film overall. I wouldn't actually argue it's the funniest funny movie, I think This Is Spinal Tap, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and maybe even the beloved motherfucking Galaxy Quest are actually funnier. But... Strangelove is my favourite film.

Schindler's List totally destroyed me when I saw it as a teenager. I also feel like Bergman's Cries and Whispers is such an amazing film that it's worthy of mention.

There is really only one film I actually have thought about how much it sucks I was in the wrong era to see it totally unspoiled in a theater in the old days. That movie is Alien. That chestburster scene just coming out of nowhere and sideswiping everyone must have blown people right out of the fucking theater in 1979. Never mind that fucked up Android.

Amelie is the girl for me.

10.  Is there a movie that you think is great, or powerful, or perfect, but that you never especially want to see again, and why?
Terrence Malick - Days of Heaven is a beautiful film and I'm not sure I'd actually ever bother to see it again. It's Sight & Sound Poll pornography: A beautifully shot series of photographs that are beautiful and full of photographic beauty, and I respected it, enjoyed it, and have no desire to sit through ever again.

Probably the aforementioned Scrooge: A Christmas Carol because I've been watching it every year at Christmas since I was a child.

I can be dated exactly in the following manner: The first ever R-rated film my mom bought me on VHS was Total Recall. It ruled. Get your ass to Mars. Still my favuorite Arnie film.

Blade Runner.

It was De Niro for a long time but goddamn has he made a lot of rubbish once he started mellowing out. I mean, if anyone is entitled to do it it's probably Robert De Niro. But man.

Sigourney Weaver. I feel when you actually stop to think about this it's incredible how thin the options from like the last 40 years feel. Hollywood's done wrong by women.

I have to really stretch here. Werner Herzog is still alive and active, so technically I'm not lying to say Werner Herzog.

I don't really have one. I guess James Wan made SAW, so fuck James Wan. Fuck SAW. I also hate Wes Craven.

Hate is probably too strong a word for it, but Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut.

The Departed was a really poor knockoff of a much better Hong Kong film. And I'm not, like, an educated Hong Kong film snob or something. But watching both I just can't take Departed seriously as a best picture nominee let alone winner.

I am not really sure I have one. I've barely been to the theater over the last decade.

Those prices are some kind of rib, right? Also, I have only been to one 3-D movie and after about 90 minutes I could barely take it anymore. Got a headache. It just isn't for me.

Not understanding things cost money. Basically I only watch movies on TV anymore. I guess I kind of miss that feeling of going to the movies being a fun event.

No. I've had it happen over music, but not movies. People that haven't seen Star Wars are seriously fucking bizarre though. What kind of concerted effort do you have to have made in your life for that to even be possible if you are in your 30's and from a country in the western world?

I rarely can coherently remember my dreams and when I do they are almost universally bad dreams. Why can't I just have a dream about making love to Claudia Cardinale circa 8 1/2 or something? Bullshit. I want a refund.

Nothing. Screw your $5 bags of skittles or whatever, I'm broke.

Brandon, MB. There is not a lot to do there.

I think everyone was, except maybe my sister. I'm sure that they affected my tastes--I grew up with them, after all.

No idea.

I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie, but we discussed it during BATMAN & ROBIN.

BLAZING SADDLES comes to mind.

Either UMBERTO D. or THE BICYCLE THIEVES. Vittorio De Sica knows how to gut his audience. (And oh, when I looked up UMBERTO D. on IMDB I saw that it was scheduled for a remake. What.)

I saw JU-ON as an adult and found it very unsettling. I still make the ju-on throat-rattle sound to freak out my wife. As a kid, I saw this movie, POPCORN, which probably isn't scary but gave me nightmares.

Right now BIG FISH comes to mind. Two scenes: Young Ed Bloom bringing all of the flowers for Young Sandra, and Senior Sandra climbing into the tub with Senior Ed.

Well I don't know if I'll ever have enough time to spare to watch DAS BOOT or LOVE EXPOSURE again, and both are quite great, as I recall. I'd be tempted to say that something unsettling like IN A GLASS CAGE or DOGTOOTH would fit the bill, but I could totally see myself watching those again.

As an adult, it's either THE BIG LEBOWSKI or HOT FUZZ. As a child there were many films I watched weekly, like the first NINJA TURTLES flick.

I dunno--my parents were pretty lax about that sort of thing. Definitely something with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

(It's awesome that spell check will get his name for me)

Oh man, I should be able to dazzle y'all with an answer on this one, but I'm sure I'm missing some great choices. THE FALL is visually stunning. AGUIRRE and FITZCARRALDO have some really unparalleled scenes.

Cary Grant, Kang-ho Song, Tatsuya Nakadai, Gary Oldman (though I guess he's rarely a leading man). There was a time when Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford could do no wrong in my books. That time has passed.

Faye Dunaway, Isabell Huppert, Tilda Swinton, Audrey Hepburn.

There are a lot of filmmakers whose work I will always seek out. Foremost among them is probably the Coen Brothers.

I find Martin Scorsese films to be a tough slog, for the most part. Obviously there are dozens of hacks who aren't even worth mentioning, though.

PROMETHEUS? Honestly, I like a lot of films that people just don't feel very strongly about. THE ZERO EFFECT and BEING THERE come to mind.

HEAT. I find a lot of the writing and performances laughably bad.

When I saw BLACK HAWK DOWN in theatres, the film had to be stopped because an audience member had a seizure. The weird thing is, that film starts with a dude having a seizure. Anyway, someone yelled "she's having a seizure!" and everyone looked on, open-mouthed, and I couldn't believe that no one was going out to get help, so I ran out to the lobby and got them to call 9-11.

A) Smartphones, B) the prices

Cheap Tuesday (being actually cheap)

I really don't have the patience for those kinds of debates anymore. To each their own.

None that I can recall.

Popcorn

From ages 3-11, various parts of Florida. From then on. Las Vegas. The places we lived in Florida were varying degrees of small-town, with most of the stereotypes associated with that existence. Vegas was less than half it's current size during my childhood, but big city life by comparison.

No one else was quite as into it as I was, but we were definitely a movie-going family.

House of Dark Shadows. I was freaked out by old man vampire Barnabas.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Rather than walking out, I usually fall asleep. It would have been something my parents didn't like.

The 1st movie to make me literally fall out of my theater seat from laughing would have been Foul Play. But my favorites would be The Miracle of Morgan's Creek or Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke.

Seconds.

I am so far past actually being scared by a film, but I would probably say one of the many 'nature run amok' films of the 70's. Or The Exorcist

Somewhere in Time.

Once you've seen it, repeated viewings of Memento seem kind of pointless. Though if I had Leonard's issue, I'd watch it everyday.

I have seen Reservoir Dogs  at least 30 times and I probably have another 20 or so in me.

Impossible to say. My parents didn't have much of a filter for deciding certain films might be inappropriate. Since most of the small towns we lived in only had one drive-in....and it was the 70's....and it was Florida....whatever was playing is what we were seeing. Lots and lots of exploitation films.

The Ten Commandments.

Humphrey Bogart, Laurence Olivier, Robert Mitchum, Glenn Ford, Lee Marvin, Ken Takakura, Sidney Poitier,  Harvey Keitel, Chow Yun-fat, Jackie Chan, Nic Cage, Bill Murray.

Clara Bow, Ida Lupino, Barbara Stanwyck, Veronica Lake, Sophia Loren, Meiko Kaji, Cheng Pei-pei, Susan George, Pam Grier, Jill Clayburgh, Michelle Yeoh, Brigitte Lin, Maggie Cheung, Salma Hayek. Nicole Kidman.

QT

James Cameron.

Irma Vep. And by 'most people' I mean the 3 or 4 who have watched it with me, since I know of no others who have seen it.

My then fiancee and future ex-wife went to see Shanghai Noon. About 10 minutes into the film, in a three-quarters empty theater, this dude rocking a Slash gimmick (minus the hat) and his ridiculously hot girlfriend plop right next to us. Slash leans over and in a conversational tone asks, "What did I miss?" I, with my fellow movie-goers in mind, whispered, "About 10 minutes." Slash, not taking the hint, asks "What happened?"  I then explained to him that I wasn't going to recap what he missed. Slash calls me a dick. My future ex suggests moving down a few rows. I tell her, quite loudly, that I'm not moving because of this fucking guy. Slash and I sit through the rest of the movie, side by side, with palpable hate coursing between us. But we didn't end up fighting in the parking lot or anything.

Talkers.

Lobby cards.

23. Have you ever damaged a friendship, or thought twice about a relationship, because you disagreed about
whether a movie was good or bad?

No. That would be pretty moronic.

No movies that I can remember, but many dreams about Sophia Loren. ;)

I never do the concession stand by myself and when I'm with someone, usually just a bottle of water.

the "Let's Go Out To The Lobby" bumpers before movies.  

The Drive-In I periodically go to still runs those bumpers before and between movies.  The one with the hot dog being coaxed to jump inside the bun is particularly awesome and disturbing.

Schindler's List totally destroyed me when I saw it as a teenager. I also feel like Bergman's Cries and Whispers is such an amazing film that it's worthy of mention.

I thought of another answer for film that almost ruined a relationship.  I was watching 'Schindler's List' with my then-girlfriend, of German descent, and halfway thought I went "Whoa, did you see that guard?  He looks just like your grandpa!"  She was mad at me for days after that.  Which is weird.  It's not like I looked at a photo of a Nazi guard and went "Hey, he looks like your grandpa!"  It was comparing her grandfather's appearance to that of an actor in a film playing a Nazi.  Many years later, I wonder if maybe he was a Nazi and I hit a little close to home.

When I saw BLACK HAWK DOWN in theatres, the film had to be stopped because an audience member had a seizure. The weird thing is, that film starts with a dude having a seizure. Anyway, someone yelled "she's having a seizure!" and everyone looked on, open-mouthed, and I couldn't believe that no one was going out to get help, so I ran out to the lobby and got them to call 9-11.

I can totally believe people not getting up.  People will put up with pretty much anything in a movie theater to avoid getting out of their seats.  Nothing as dramatic as what you witnessed, but I've had to go out to the lobby many times when nobody else would get up: movie being projected off the screen, sound being low or off, or, one time, it was a Korean movie and the subtitles were being broadcast on the wall below the screen, rendering them illegible, I couldn't believe nobody would go out and tell them, though they may have all been Korean so it wasn't an issue for them.  But, it's my limited experience that people will put up with just about anything in a theater, once they've paid for stuff, rather than leave their seat: "I don't understand Korean and can't read the subtitles, but I'm sure it will be fine" all the way up to "That dude is having a seizure, but I can still hear the dialogue, someone will come tend to him."

-Warwick, RI. Just your average ordinary suburb. One plus was that a discount second-run theater was within walking distance, which helped out a lot.

It wasn't like my family didn't LIKE movies, but they were never huge fans of them. If anything, their tastes had nothing to do with mine.

My baby book said my parents took me to see "Victor/Victoria" when I was an infant as my first movie, but I didn't remember that one. "An American Tail" was the first movie I remember seeing,  and then I liked it as much as any child would like a movie.

There really never was one "good" one to say it- it was actually similar to my viewpoint of pro wrestling- instead of having one moment where I suddenly went from being smartened up to how it was, it was like one day I just "knew".

"Religulous"- and only because the person I went to see it with's attention span was too short and wanted to leave. I really don't like walking out of movies- if I pay to see something, I'm seeing the whole thing.

Most times, it's not particularly the film itself that makes it funnier, or sadder, or more romantic, but the stories that went on surrounding going to see the movie. Movies usually tended to augment things already going on around the time I see them, to the point it's hard to separate the film I saw from the emotions I had going around during it.

Mostly any film with a "twist ending" does it- once the twist is known, then I don't get the urge to see it again afterwards. Anything else, if I like it I'd want to see it again, if I don't, I don't.

Outside Providence. I was working at the theater where it had its world premiere at the time, and between shifts on and off of the film, I ended up trying to go there earlier and earlier each time because I just couldn't get to see the whole movie- it took at least 8-10 attempts to finally see it all. 

Leon the Professional- my brother took me out of school during a leave from the army and took me to see it. I ended up liking it more than I would have beforehand.

Across the Universe- storyline wise, the movie was pretty mediocre, but it is a very pretty screensaver in the background.

Just from this thread so far, A Knight's Tale would be a good start.

Most of the things I remember from my life had a movie in the background. Whether it was my parents taking me to a movie as a reward or celebration for things, memories like being excited leaving the doctor's with my new glasses for the first time because I could actually look from the doctor's and read what was playing at the theater a couple hundred feet away without my dad having to drive me past to see it- I'd say a good portion of the stories I'd have growing up involved the movies in some way.

3D. The glasses rarely fit over my own lenses. 

Being able to see a movie on a childhood allowance.

Just outside Minneapolis, MN. It was a smallish suburban area, as I got older the criminal activity of the bigger neighboring city bled into it pretty heavily.

Not really. My uncle who I was pretty close with let me watch whatever I wanted, which meant no restrictions.

Return of the Jedi. I was awestruck.

Beastmaster. The inclusion of the ferrets made me wonder how they got them to do what they wanted since animals can't listen and understand like humans.

My Father the Hero. Only went because the girls my friends and I were with wanted to see it. We left and snuck in to Ace Ventura.

Probably the 40 Year Old Virgin.

Nothing really comes to mind. I usually avoid sad movies.

As a kid, Nightmare on Elm Street terrified me.

The Wedding Singer.

A Clockwork Orange. I understand that it was good, and I enjoyed it, but it was pretty brutal to get through.

Summer School. I used to rent it every Friday for like an entire year as a kid, and continue to rewatch as an adult.

Halloween 2. I thought it was awesome.

Avatar. Such beautiful scenery, shame the movie was pretty lame.

Woody Harrelson, Bruce Willis and as a youngster, Christian Slater.

Milla Jovovich, Marissa Tomei and Patricia Arquette.

John Carpenter. So many great films to choose from, Halloween, Escape from NY, They Live, I'd even put Dark Star up there.

M.Night Shamalan. Hack city.

Dude, Where's my Car? It's a super fun, goofball comedy and it has basically become a punchline.

Armageddon. Such obvious emotional button pushing, and that fucking soundtrack, UGH!

My friends and I took the bus over to Minneapolis and saw Mighty Ducks at the dollar theater. We had all already seen it at least twice, and being the only 5 people in the theater, we were cheering, booing and at the end, threw our popcorn in the air in celebration. Obnoxious kids, we were.

The price. It's gotten absurd.

Not having much of a clue what to expect in a movie going in.

Nah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Too many to name.

Cookie dough bites, I always stop at the dollar store on my way to the theater so I can sneak then in.