DVDVR Message Board

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor (7/11/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_189_Mendes_vs._McGregor_Poster.jpg?1

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor

July 11, 2015

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Interim UFC Featherweight Championship: Chad Mendes (144.5) vs. Conor McGregor (145) - McGregor, TKO (punches), R2 (4:57)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Robbie Lawler © (169.5) vs. Rory MacDonald (170) (first defense) - Lawler, TKO (punches), R5 (1:00)

Dennis Bermudez (146) vs. Jeremy Stephens (149.5)* - Stephens, TKO (flying knee and punches), R3 (0:32)

Gunnar Nelson (169.5) vs. Brandon Thatch (170.5) - Nelson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:53)

Brad Pickett (136) vs. Thomas Almeida (136) - Almeida, KO (flying knee), R2 (0:29)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Matt Brown (171) vs. Tim Means (171) - Brown, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:44)

Mike Swick (170.5) vs. Alex Garcia (171) - Garcia, DEC (unanimous)

Cathal Pendred (171) vs. John Howard (170.5) - Howard, DEC (split)

Cody Garbrandt (136) vs. Henry Briones (136) - Garbrandt, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Neil Seery (125.5) vs. Louis Smolka (126) - Smolka, DEC (unanimous)

Yosdenis Cedeno (155) vs. Cody Pfister (156) - Cedeno, DEC (unanimous)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Thomas Almeida

Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor

Fight of the Night: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory McDonald

Attendance: 16,019

Gate: $7.2 million

Buyrate: 825,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Nate Diaz vs. Matt Brown - Bout Nixed

Jake Ellenberger vs. Stephen Thompson - Bout Moved to Another Card

Brandon Thatch vs. Jordan Mein - Bout Nixed

Gunnar Nelson vs. John Hathaway - Injury to Hathaway

Brandon Thatch vs. John Howard - Thatch Moved to Another Bout

José Aldo vs. Conor McGregor - Injury to Aldo (Ribs)

Does McGregor lose his PPV selling power if he loses this? I want him to win but i think Mendes will be too much for him.

If he loses he loses that aura that hes built over the last 2 years. If he wins then you have the biggest fight in UFC history in December(probably) in Champion Vs Champion.

Aldo pulling out makes the PPV no longer a must buy for me since no Aldo/Conor.

Just wondering if Conor wins the interim does that count for the predicitions thread we did before the year started?

In terms of card quality top to bottom on paper, you're not gonna to see much better. The only questionable fight is Cedeno vs. Pfister and that's not on the actual PPV. Brown vs. Means should be madness.

Also, I would count the prediction just not on the tiebreaker part since Aldo is still the real champion..

Does McGregor lose his PPV selling power if he loses this? I want him to win but i think Mendes will be too much for him.

If he loses he loses that aura that hes built over the last 2 years. If he wins then you have the biggest fight in UFC history in December(probably) in Champion Vs Champion.

Yep. Reminds me somewhat of not doing Jones vs. Gustafsson II straight away after the first fight. Both fighters won their next fights but then Jones lost outside the UFC with his behaviour and Gustaffson in it to Johnson quickly. 

Shame Aldo got hurt as he usually does.

Does McGregor lose his PPV selling power if he loses this?

I don't know if he has PPV selling power, but 189 will be the highest buyrate for a FW headlining fight. He would need to lose his ability to talk in the process. Bisping lost and kept talking trash. Same with Chael. Although there was a long stretch where people didn't care about him, Tito Ortiz is a draw despite being a mushmouth moron.

No matter who wins on Saturday, the loser is still pretty much better than a number of guys at featherweight. There are fighters on the rise, but not at the pace that might have them usurp any top guy yet. Tatsuya Kawajiri ain't beating anyone really good in his current form. Jeremy Stephens doesn't win big fights. Hacran Dias is Hacran Dias. That's the tier underneath you can match up with.

• Like 1

a bit, but not completely, and not forever. if he loses, and loses badly, he'll get fights lined up with lower guys again, start talking again, and after those couple of wins, start calling out Aldo and we're right back. He can always say Aldo ducked him if nothing else, and people will be clamoring for the fight again.

People will pay to see McGregor win or get his ass beat.  He is a very polarizing fighter.  Mendes has a bunch of KO victories but I think he's going to get knocked goofy if he is goaded into forgetting his wrestling and keeps this fight standing up.  You may not like Conor's bravado but the guy is a virtuoso striker.

a bit, but not completely, and not forever. if he loses, and loses badly, he'll get fights lined up with lower guys again, start talking again, and after those couple of wins, start calling out Aldo and we're right back. He can always say Aldo ducked him if nothing else, and people will be clamoring for the fight again.

This pretty much.

How do they decide when to make an interim champion?  Aldo has a broken rib which isn't a long term injury and they already named an interim champion.  It seemed like Cain Velasquez was out for a long ass time before they decided to make an interim champ.  In my mind Aldo should have gotten the benefit of the doubt since he's never lost in the UFC, despite being fairly injury prone.

Yeah, this is a case of "We sold tickets to people so they could see the title match, so we're having a title match no matter what", whereas Cain was a case of a guy who got injured winning his belt, but didn't really have any marketable contenders lining up, so they could put the title on ice for a bit. Then when they'd sold tickets to see him defend and he gets injured again, that's when the interim belt is created.

I would love to see Mendes and McDonald win the titles (interim or real) because nobody wants to see it.   Everybody in the UFC and the media wants the McGregor gravy train to continue and everybody wants Robbie to win because the UFC and the media think Rory is painfully boring.   I like Robbie Lawler and would love to see as champ but the UFC did all they could to avoid the possibility of Rory as champion

I would love to see Mendes and McDonald win the titles (interim or real) because nobody wants to see it.   Everybody in the UFC and the media wants the McGregor gravy train to continue and everybody wants Robbie to win because the UFC and the media think Rory is painfully boring.   I like Robbie Lawler and would love to see as champ but the UFC did all they could to avoid the possibility of Rory as champion

I dunno if you've been following his career for the last 15 years, but Robbie Lawler ain't Mr. Charisma himself. There is a reason why they haven't spent much time with Lawler either. Plus, MacDonald got the shot over Hendricks who had an extremely close fight with Lawler and was the champ. Remember, they ran that Rory HL package after that one PPV and people were shocked they were angling for Rory to get a title shot so soon after losing to Robbie. Plus, the UFC wants him to be the next star in Canada. So yeah, if they're avoiding him being champ, they're going about the wrong way especially considering Hendricks and Woodley are right there. Pretty soon, that will be involve Condit...who you know...has a win over Rory.

When it comes the welterweight division, they're running with what they got. Nobody is getting preferential treatment just because no one stands out at the moment. If GSP ever comes back, then that would change. Right now, it's like the current GOP candidate field. Some people you know, some people you kinda know, and a slew of people you have no clue who they are until they suddenly appear on TV.

I like Robbie Lawler and would love to see as champ but the UFC did all they could to avoid the possibility of Rory as champion

What Elsalvajeloco said.  I don't think that giving Rory a shot before giving Hendricks a rematch is anyone's idea of avoiding the possibility of pasty McDonald as champ.  And I can believe that even Dana hopes that Rory wins so that they finally have someone for the Canadian market to rally around now that Rush is on an indefinite hiatus.

I like Robbie Lawler and would love to see as champ but the UFC did all they could to avoid the possibility of Rory as champion

What Elsalvajeloco said.  I don't think that giving Rory a shot before giving Hendricks a rematch is anyone's idea of avoiding the possibility of pasty McDonald as champ.  And I can believe that even Dana hopes that Rory wins so that they finally have someone for the Canadian market to rally around now that Rush is on an indefinite hiatus.

Wait, what happened to Ryan Jimmo?! What, they cut him? Hmm, that Steve Bossé has a nice haircut and movie star looks!

• Like 1

Wait, what happened to Ryan Jimmo?! What, they cut him? Hmm, that Steve Bossé has a nice haircut and movie star looks!

Screen-shot-2014-10-02-at-10.45.00-AM.pn

45533300-4996-11e4-83b4-81e4c950ac2e_490

Just thought about it:

A man who used to be a heroin junkie is fighting a man who used to be a meth head. It will probably be the best thing on the card. That's the most MMA thing ever.