DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Barry is always bitter sweet for me. Sweet because his high end stuff is sooo goddamn great. Bitter because we didn't get near enough of his peak work before injuries/weight gain/promotion hopping took their toll.

Yeah I'll co-sign this. I'll always remember in his shoot he said that he'd probably say he's the most overrated wrestler because he never really got chance to live up to his potential.

And I'd extend his prime years from 86-92 just because his team with Dustin is one of my all time favourites

Fair Warning - You will be disappointed by the Barry/Jumbo match

Agreed. With these two, it should have been WAY better than it was.

Also, I can see extending his prime into 92 to a certain extent. He wasn't the same guy he had been in the 80's but was still able to kick ass in a tag environment.

You had me at aspect ratio.

I know, I know... :D But it was an issue for some dumb reason.

And the only bar fights I've ever been in was when I was DJing and Bouncing at a strip club. I prefer talking things out with my razor blade voice.

I'm gonna ignore the word "blade" there and pretend you settled things down by talking in a phony Cuban accent.

• Like 1

The Barry match I'd like to track down in it's entirety was vs. Harley Race in 82 or 83. It was in Florida and apparently they tore the house down. I saw a snippet on Daily Motion I think but it was just enough to make me want to see the rest.

Barry is always bitter sweet for me. Sweet because his high end stuff is sooo goddamn great. Bitter because we didn't get near enough of his peak work before injuries/weight gain/promotion hopping took their toll.

Didn't he also take time off due to Blackjack and Kendall's legal troubles and also kinda stop caring about wrestling and slack off after marrying a rich woman (not that I blame him)?  You're right saying his career was bittersweet.  He was amazing for a short time and it leaves you wondering what could have been.  He was never really a top guy, so much so that when he was plugged into the main on that disastrous Bash show, the thought was, "how is Barry Windham the #1 contender???"

I am assuming you mean this one

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e8d05_harley-race-vs-barry-windham-florida_sport

That is a full match just not sure if you are talking a different one

If I'm right, this match set up the one I'm looking for. I think it was a title match. I know young master Windham had his pimpy little mustache in said battle.

I remember right before Barry turned heel when he, Luger and Sting were teaming together and I knew even then he was the best worker of the three by far. I also knew he didn't flex, didn't have face paint, and wasn't getting the title shots because of it. He was the 3rd wheel but was probably the best wrestler in the country at that point.

Didn't he also take time off due to Blackjack and Kendall's legal troubles and also kinda stop caring about wrestling and slack off after marrying a rich woman (not that I blame him)?  You're right saying his career was bittersweet.  He was amazing for a short time and it leaves you wondering what could have been.  He was never really a top guy, so much so that when he was plugged into the main on that disastrous Bash show, the thought was, "how is Barry Windham the #1 contender???"

He didn't take much time off after Blackjack and Kendall were arrested.  They were arrested in 1990 and out of jail in 1992 (they pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 2 years, per a plea agreement).  Barry did leave the WWF suddenly in October or November of 1989, but he was back wrestling by spring of 1990.  I've heard he left WWF due to the impending arrest, or was asked to leave to avoid the PR fallout, so maybe they had knowledge of the investigation before the arrest was actually made.

His longest layoff was summer '93 - 1996.  Think he may have only wrestled one or two matches in that time period.  Some of that was a legit knee injury.  The part about his ex-wife is correct.  He married into money.  In a couple shoots, he's talked about not living up to his potential and burning out in the early 90's due to injuries and a combination of personal issues (marriage, drug use, etc.  He was apparently addicted to pain killers for a decent while)

Joe has, thus far, been fine in NXT. Nothing spectacular yet.

He's for sure more polished than nearly everyone else and, if we're not counting Owens and Zayn since one is practically a main roster guy and the other is on the shelf, he's probably the best promo in NXT. I'm expecting him to light up the ring on a fairly consistent basis. He could have some fun matches with everyone, especially someone like Breeze.

He didn't take much time off after Blackjack and Kendall were arrested.  They were arrested in 1990 and out of jail in 1992 (they pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 2 years, per a plea agreement).  Barry did leave the WWF suddenly in October or November of 1989, but he was back wrestling by spring of 1990.  I've heard he left WWF due to the impending arrest, or was asked to leave to avoid the PR fallout, so maybe they had knowledge of the investigation before the arrest was actually made.

My bad, you're exactly right.  The arrest didn't lead to him taking time off, just leaving WWE.  I wonder if they had any real plans for the Widowmaker character.

Luger/Windham vs. Arn/Tully series from 1989 is still one of my favorite tag team feuds ever. 

Actually, he caught a second (third? fourth?) wind in that tag team with Hennig ten years later. Both guys looked like toast until they were put together as a team. One of the few bright spots of 1999 WCW. 

So why exactly DID Windham hop around as much as he did? I mean I get going from Florida to WWF in the early 80s. But why didn't he hang around Titan for a while after he dropped the tag belts? Seems like a guy who would have eventually gotten a push. But then he caught on in the NWA and was doing great things... only to bail out and head back to Titan. Then the whole Windowmaker deal happened, then back to WCW. Obviously he was done by 96, but he still lasted another three years in WWF/WCW. 

I always felt he was fairly charismatic, not Flair level obviously, but at least on par with an Arn Anderson type. Wonder why Vince was so insistent on bringing him in under the goofy Widowmaker gimmick (and the even goofier Stalker gimmick)?