DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Just basically binge watched Orange is the New Black season 3 and I was honestly bored. I get onto a lot of shows that have these 20+ episode seasons because the middle of the seasons just drag. I'm usually a big fan of the slow burn storytelling but in a case like this where there are only 13 episodes there is no reason for every episode not to be packed with crazy shit. Instead it took all season for anything interesting to happen. The only thing that really had me interested was Lori Petty's character which I guess tied into the "who is going to fuck Alex up" story arc. Last season bothered me because I felt like I was watching 2003 RAW where every episode ended with the heel on top with V outsmarting everybody, at every turn, until she randomly gets ran over which even that I felt like was shitty because nobody else at the prison got the "rub" of taking her out. Instead she was just randomly ran over and still go over on all those bitches without any real retaliation from any of them. Atleast that season was still interesting though this one wasn't. I don't think I'll be back for season 4 the show seems to have ran its course. 

Oh man I'm maybe 7-8 episodes in and NOTHING is happening. 

There's no really captivating major plot arc. 

"Piper's panty business" feels like it's something out of a different show entirely, especially her "rally the troops" speech.  What the fuck?

They're giving way too much time and plot to Crazy Eyes, probably because of her fan favorite status. "Oh, you enjoy this minor character?  Well we'll ramp up her screen time 500% this season!"

Either the show's creators 1) believe whole heartedly in the binge nature of this show and, thus, feel they don't need the standard serialization hallmarks and can treat the show like one 13 hour movie split into uneven parts or 2) they're way too pleased with themselves and feel they can do no wrong.  Either way, this season is fucking baffling.  

• Like 1

Just basically binge watched Orange is the New Black season 3 and I was honestly bored. I get onto a lot of shows that have these 20+ episode seasons because the middle of the seasons just drag. I'm usually a big fan of the slow burn storytelling but in a case like this where there are only 13 episodes there is no reason for every episode not to be packed with crazy shit. Instead it took all season for anything interesting to happen. The only thing that really had me interested was Lori Petty's character which I guess tied into the "who is going to fuck Alex up" story arc. Last season bothered me because I felt like I was watching 2003 RAW where every episode ended with the heel on top with V outsmarting everybody, at every turn, until she randomly gets ran over which even that I felt like was shitty because nobody else at the prison got the "rub" of taking her out. Instead she was just randomly ran over and still go over on all those bitches without any real retaliation from any of them. Atleast that season was still interesting though this one wasn't. I don't think I'll be back for season 4 the show seems to have ran its course. 

Oh man I'm maybe 7-8 episodes in and NOTHING is happening. 

There's no really captivating major plot arc. 

"Piper's panty business" feels like it's something out of a different show entirely, especially her "rally the troops" speech.  What the fuck?

They're giving way too much time and plot to Crazy Eyes, probably because of her fan favorite status. "Oh, you enjoy this minor character?  Well we'll ramp up her screen time 500% this season!"

Either the show's creators 1) believe whole heartedly in the binge nature of this show and, thus, feel they don't need the standard serialization hallmarks and can treat the show like one 13 hour movie split into uneven parts or 2) they're way too pleased with themselves and feel they can do no wrong.  Either way, this season is fucking baffling.  

I haven't watched season 3 at all, but I could have called all of this.  When all the initial praise for season 1 was going on, you had a large chunk of people saying "OMG so much better than Weeds!"  I guess people forgot how freaking great Weeds season 1 was.  It just slowly and surely got less interesting and more nonsensical as the seasons went on.  

Great start, mediocre series is pretty much Kohan's MO at this point.

• Like 1

I'm convinced that season 3 was written exclusive with Buzzfeed .gifs in mind.

Boo is a completely different character this season, and so many of the backstory flashbacks for the other characters either were never hinted at or felt like they directly contradicted things set up in previous seasons.

Caputo had a nice sympathetic face run, then a nonsensical heel turn. I have no idea why so much time was given to the sons or Oscar (or whatever the dude's name is that takes care of Daya's family).

Just a bad season and that last scene was so out of nowhere. Just cheesy and terrible and so bad.

I liked season 3 of OITNB a lot more than season 2...I liked all the character work they did, hell they even made me like Crazy Eyes and I fucking hated Crazy Eyes the first two seasons...I loved the Boo-Pennsatucky stuff, I loved Taystee becoming the "leader" of the black girls, I liked all the back stories...and most of all, I like that they finally went villain protagonist with Piper...in fact I feel like a large part of why they put such an effort into making the other inmates so sympathetic this season was to contrast them with what a selfish, manipulative bitch Piper is...

I loved season 3 and the direction they went with it and I went in with low-ish expectations, because I've been dreading the season the show goes to shit à la Weeds. Dreading.

I feel that the mellowing out of some of the gals was a natural progression after shit went super raw/race war in season 2 because of Vee.

Through the first two eps Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp. It is as completely ridiculous as you would expect, but in the best way possible.

And H. Jon Benjamin is a national treasure. But you knew that already.

Through the first two eps Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp. It is as completely ridiculous as you would expect, but in the best way possible.

And H. Jon Benjamin is a national treasure. But you knew that already.

I thought the first episode was awful but then found myself watching the next 5 back to back because i got consumed by how ridiculous it is. John Slattery is great.

Is it wrong that Paul Rudds character reminds me of mid-life crisis Chris Jericho?