DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

All the reviews I've read basically say it's full of clichés, needed more Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker is pretty terrific in his role. I'll wait for it on Netflix or HBO. 

That is pretty much the movie.  Jake Gyllenhall is good as well, but this is essentially every single boxing movie ever made.  The acting in this movie is really good, but the script, plot, and everything else is kind of been there done that.  This is the kind of movie that I would have probably should be more critical of, but I didn't buy the ticket so I didn't really care.

• Like 1

One of the worst, for me, was Paul Blart coming out in the early part of the year, so that when the awesome 'Observe and Report' it got roundly ignored as "Didn't we just see this?"

I really did not care for Observe and Report. Parts of it were fun and the right amount of uncomfortably funny, but I am annoyed by most things Ray Liotta and I recall him being particularly bad in this.

I did finally see Ex Machina, and I have a hard time seeing how this film will not be near the top of my list at year's end when we are talking about the best films of 2015. A really great piece of sci-fi that unknowingly becomes a more structured and story-driven version of last year's Under the Skin. Oscar Isaac has entered the Tom Hardy/Michael Fassbender zone of current era actors that I will pretty much see in anything because he has been tremendous in everything I've seen from him since Drive.

• Like 1

It's always jarring to me whenever I see rape in old movies from before the 1960s.  I saw the 1953 western Gun Fury this morning with Rock Hudson and Donna Reed as a couple emigrating to California, but Reed gets kidnapped by the bad guys and one of them says he wants to see what's so great about Reed and the camera fades to black as he presses himself up against a horrified Reed.

Then there's The Wicked Lady where James Mason is a highwayman who has an affair with his married accomplice (Margaret Lockwood), then, after she doublecrosses him and tries to get him arrested, picks her up and states that he will have his way with her, "willing or unwilling" and cheerfully drags her off camera.

As awful as rape scene are today, in The Accused or The Sopranos, it's just smacks you on the head with the implied rape scenes of the old days because you just aren't expecting things like that, especially with wholesomeness personified like in Donna Reed.

I really want somebody on this board to run a best of the half decade film poll (2010-2014) but I really don't feel like tallying or doing the results myself (Plus, if you guys know me and how long I dilly-dally on the best of the year movie polls, you'd know this best of the half-decade would likely run into 2016).  Somebody do it for me!

I might be up for helping you. My life is just as busy and chaotic, but I could definitely help out with scoring and some of the write up stuff if you want to do it in tandem, Caley.

The other day I was thinking what my top ten from the half decade would be.

All the reviews I've read basically say it's full of clichés, needed more Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker is pretty terrific in his role. I'll wait for it on Netflix or HBO.

That is pretty much the movie. Jake Gyllenhall is good as well, but this is essentially every single boxing movie ever made. The acting in this movie is really good, but the script, plot, and everything else is kind of been there done that. This is the kind of movie that I would have probably should be more critical of, but I didn't buy the ticket so I didn't really care.

Feel the same way having watched Southpaw last Friday.

I did finally see Ex Machina, and I have a hard time seeing how this film will not be near the top of my list at year's end when we are talking about the best films of 2015.

Been saying this for months in the Horror thread.  One of the most bone jarring sci-fi films I have seen in a while.  Brilliant and terrifying.

This fine film is available on the cheap in most of your FiOs or Xfinity On Demand queues.  WATCH EX MACHINA~!

Speaking of Sci-Fi. for those of you lucky to have Showtime, Snowpiercer (the 2+ hour cut) is on rotation until the middle of August but I think it comes off of the On Demand queue by August 1st.  Catch it before it goes away.

I don't remember much about Wyatt Earp. It didn't have much of a lasting impact with me.  Tombstone, however, I've seen a bunch of times, own the dvd and always watch it when AMC shows it etc.   Kilmer is so fucking great but so is everyone.  He completely steals the show and should have won the Oscar but damn it's a great cast.

I did finally see Ex Machina, and I have a hard time seeing how this film will not be near the top of my list at year's end when we are talking about the best films of 2015.

Been saying this for months in the Horror thread.  One of the most bone jarring sci-fi films I have seen in a while.  Brilliant and terrifying.

This fine film is available on the cheap in most of your FiOs or Xfinity On Demand queues.  WATCH EX MACHINA~!

Speaking of Sci-Fi. for those of you lucky to have Showtime, Snowpiercer (the 2+ hour cut) is on rotation until the middle of August but I think it comes off of the On Demand queue by August 1st.  Catch it before it goes away.

I don't know if I could sit through an extended version of that film. I went in hoping that I would like it but it just was a disappointment. Is it similar to, like let's say the director's cut of "Lawnmower Man", where what was cut out of the released version actually improved the overall product?

So Pixels was trash. About the only good thing in the movie was the dress Serena Williams was wearing. Would've said Q*bert too, but then the last 15 minutes of the movie happened, so fuck that shit.

I don't know if I could sit through an extended version of that film. I went in hoping that I would like it but it just was a disappointment. Is it similar to, like let's say the director's cut of "Lawnmower Man", where what was cut out of the released version actually improved the overall product?

The Alison Pill scene was definitely one of my favorite scenes captured on film last year.

Skyline & Battle:Los Angeles were so similar they sued over it. 

Sort of.  Also, Skyline was a pile of shit, while I enjoyed Battle: LA as "Black Hawk Down...with Aliens."  It also holds the distinction of being the only movie in history that Michelle Rodriguez lives through.

Has anyone seen Southpaw?  Has anyone in the making of Southpaw seen a real life boxing match?  The movie isn't bad, but all of those fights would have been stopped in the first round.

Yep, that's Movie Boxing for ya.  It's nothing new, as we've lived through watching Rocky take 15 unprotected haymakers in a row while the ref stands there with his thumb in his ass.

The irony of this is even stronger:

Sayed takes his work seriously and has always gone to great lengths to research his roles. In 1991, he started attending a mosque in Culver City, one that was known to attract some militant worshippers, so he could study Islamic radicalism up close. A few years later, some of the mosque's worshippers went to a movie and recognized Sayed. Back at the mosque after Friday prayers, they surrounded him. "They were yelling, right in my face: ‘You're helping the Zionist Jews of Hollywood in their agenda to make Islam look bad. For money, you're giving up your heritage.' "

"How were you responding?" I ask.

"I felt guilty," he says. "I knew they were sort of right. But I yelled back at them, ‘We have to take their money to make our own movie and tell our own story!' We were yelling so hard we were showering each other with spit."

"What was the movie of yours they saw?" I ask him.

"Executive fucking Decision," he says.

So Pixels was trash. About the only good thing in the movie was the dress Serena Williams was wearing. Would've said Q*bert too, but then the last 15 minutes of the movie happened, so fuck that shit.

My kids thought Pixels was funny. Both Peter Dinklage and Andrew Bambridge were entertaining as Eddie Plant. So many people slagged this movie but I found it amusing: it's ridiculous, but it stars the dregs of Adam Sandler's career...so what's to be expected?

I just finished up The Fault In Our Stars and thought it was alright. The book was good I thought and it had me in tears at the end. The movie didn't pack the same punch though. In print, I found the characters to be pretty wordy, although Green managed to pull it off. In e movie, not so much. The dialogue was stiff and a bit much in points. Not sure if I prefer Book-Hazel's final reaction with the author or Movie-Hazel's.

Also am amazed it took me so long to see The LEGO Movie. This kept me laughing from nearly start to finish.