DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Joe Carter had six seasons of 100+ RBI in Toronto. His pick isn't JUST for the one home run and he's hardly an embarrassment as a selection.

• Like 1

I'm just happy that Tigers fans got it right with their picks of Cobb, Kaline, Cabrera, and Greenberg. Lots of people were pushing for Gehringer, Trammell, Morris, Freehan, or Cash over Cabrera. Those people are simply wrong. You simply don't pass over the guy who's averaged .320/35/120 for your franchise.

MLB's pick of their four greatest living players is pretty bad. Johnny Bench? C'mon. Even excluding current players (where Pujols and A-Rod are both better), Barry Bonds was a lot better than Bench. I don't care if he's a pariah or not - he was better than Bench.

The biggest debate in my area isn't that that Nationals are all 4 Expos because there really isn't any Nationals player that exceeds the Expos.  the issue is how you does the Twins not include Walter Johnson on their list.  No argument that Walter Johnson is easily one of the 3 best pitchers ever.  the Nationals can't take him because the Washington Senators became the Minnesota Twins in 1960 I think.    I guess it is case of most Twins fans not even knowing that they were originally the Washington Senators.   Chances are most Texas Rangers don't realize they were originally the Senators as well.

• Like 1

Maz making it over Bonds for the Pirates is ridiculous. Goes to show you hit one of the most replayed homers in baseball history and you'll be remembered much more fondly (and even get into the HOF!) than an asshole who was the best player of his generation.

Pie Traynor, Paul Waner or Ralph Kiner should have gone in over Maz or Bonds.

Bonds didn't play long enough in Pittsburgh to be one of the franchises top 4 and his bat was no existent in the playoffs.

I could see taking Kiner over Bonds for the reasons Tabe mentioned - although his insane homer totals were the vast majority of his value as a player (Whereas Bonds was infinitely more complete) and those should come with an asterisk because the Pirates moved in the fences just to help him  - but the playoff argument makes no sense.

KIner (and Waner too) didn't even sniff the playoffs during their Bucs career as everybody remembers the recent run of 20 Consecutive Losing Seasons but the Pirates were nearly as bad during the entire 40s and 50s. In fact, for the Baseball History lovers out there, Kiner was the inspiration for one of the more well-known sports sayings/cliches.

When Branch Rickey took over after being fired from Brooklyn he was charged with turning around the team and he hated Kiner, who was constantly holding out for more money. So despite him being the team's most popular player and a huge draw, he traded him to the Cubs for peanuts. When the press was like, "how could you do that?" he coined the phrase, "We finished last with him, we can finish last without him." 

I found the White Sox list to be strangely sad. Baines and Konerko were fine players, but as your all-time top 4?

Yeah, no kidding. Fine players, as you said, but their inclusion indicates a dearth of greatness in the 115-year White Sox history.

Eddie Collins was the big snub for me, I'd have dropped both Baines and Konerko for him and either Appling or Nellie Fox. Strange that the White Sox were pretty much obsolete as a team from the Black Sox until the 90s, outside of the Go Go Sox of the late 50s.

Also pretty awesome that we're making way more posts about the franchise four than the actual game, with all its countingness and shit. ;)

Is there any chance that Manfred modifies the ridiculous notion that the ASG determines home field? If they feel the need to not just go back to the alternating years method, why not base it on the overall interleague record? Or even more simply, the W-L record of the two teams that find themselves in the WS?

Maz making it over Bonds for the Pirates is ridiculous. Goes to show you hit one of the most replayed homers in baseball history and you'll be remembered much more fondly (and even get into the HOF!) than an asshole who was the best player of his generation.

Pie Traynor, Paul Waner or Ralph Kiner should have gone in over Maz or Bonds.

Bonds didn't play long enough in Pittsburgh to be one of the franchises top 4 and his bat was no existent in the playoffs.

I could see taking Kiner over Bonds for the reasons Tabe mentioned - although his insane homer totals were the vast majority of his value as a player (Whereas Bonds was infinitely more complete) and those should come with an asterisk because the Pirates moved in the fences just to help him  - but the playoff argument makes no sense.

KIner (and Waner too) didn't even sniff the playoffs during their Bucs career as everybody remembers the recent run of 20 Consecutive Losing Seasons but the Pirates were nearly as bad during the entire 40s and 50s. In fact, for the Baseball History lovers out there, Kiner was the inspiration for one of the more well-known sports sayings/cliches.

When Branch Rickey took over after being fired from Brooklyn he was charged with turning around the team and he hated Kiner, who was constantly holding out for more money. So despite him being the team's most popular player and a huge draw, he traded him to the Cubs for peanuts. When the press was like, "how could you do that?" he coined the phrase, "We finished last with him, we can finish last without him." 

The left/left center fences at Forbes Field were moved in for Hank Greenberg(Greenberg Gardens) after he retired they kept them in and renamed the area "Kiner's Corner," the distance's with the fence moved in were on par with the other stadiums in that timeframe.

Waner played in one World Series but unfortunately it was against the 1927 Yankees, Waner was also the NL MVP that season. Also Waner's teams finished in the First Division(top 4 teams in the league) eleven times in his career, the Pirates were consistently a good team up until WW2.

Kiner's teams stunk there's no arguing that.

Joe Carter had six seasons of 100+ RBI in Toronto. His pick isn't JUST for the one home run and he's hardly an embarrassment as a selection.

I would have gone Stieb, Alomar, Halliday, George Bell as my Blue Jays four, but Carter and Delgado weren't bad choices at all. And Carter was pretty damned good up here.

Bell is a good choice being the first Blue Jay MVP (an award he stole from Alan Trammell) but I think I'd go with both Carter & Delgado over him. Delgado had more great years, Carter was excellent for just as long and has "that" home run. Any one of the three is a fine choice. Funny that the Blue Jays have a tougher collection of guys to choose from after being around for 38 years vs the White Sox who've been around for 115.

bill_murray_stripes1981_1490.jpg

Murray got the last laugh, sadly, if that's the film and scene I think it is. The actor playing the drill sergeant died the next year. I was just looking him up in some unrelated chain of wikipedia stuff earlier tonight. And Bill Murray will never die, he will somehow outlive everyone alive today and roam the Earth cracking wise with the aliens that have taken over by then.

• Like 1

Who were the 4 for the Brewers? I assume Yount, Molitor, Fingers as stated above, but have no clue on the fourth. I hope it was Richie Sexson for no reason. Or the mighty Pat Listach.

That makes sense. I was expecting something weird like Hank Aaron, for the whole two years he actually played for the Brewers at the end. We tend to mesh the Braves history up here with the Brewers for whatever reason. Same stadium at the time I guess is part of it. I'd have voted Bob Uecker on the list just to be a dink.

That makes sense. I was expecting something weird like Hank Aaron, for the whole two years he actually played for the Brewers at the end. We tend to mesh the Braves history up here with the Brewers for whatever reason. Same stadium at the time I guess is part of it. I'd have voted Bob Uecker on the list just to be a dink.

It's probably that along with the short number of years between the two franchises. That being said, the Brewers have been around far longer than the Braves ever were in Milwaukee.

Hah; looks like Eddie Matthews actually played for the Braves in all 3 cities, with his rookie year in Boston and his last year in Atlanta. He must be the only player to do something like that.

Hah; looks like Eddie Matthews actually played for the Braves in all 3 cities, with his rookie year in Boston and his last year in Atlanta. He must be the only player to do something like that.

Correct, he's the only one.

How about this for weird coincidences. The Milwaukee Brewers are formed from the failed Seattle Pilots franchise. The Brewers current A-Ball team up here used to be the Seattle Mariners farm team instead. Also, the Baltimore Orioles and St. Louis Browns(same franchise) used to use them as a farm team as well. To tie it all together, the St. Louis Browns have their origins as the original Milwaukee Brewers way the fuck back in the early 1900s.

How about this for weird coincidences. The Milwaukee Brewers are formed from the failed Seattle Pilots franchise. The Brewers current A-Ball team up here used to be the Seattle Mariners farm team instead. Also, the Baltimore Orioles and St. Louis Browns(same franchise) used to use them as a farm team as well. To tie it all together, the St. Louis Browns have their origins as the original Milwaukee Brewers way the fuck back in the early 1900s.

Yeah, iirc correctly the team we now know as the Orioles started as the "Milwaukee Brewers" in the inaugural American League season of 1901, but they were the St. Louis Browns by 1902.

To make matters even more confusing, that 1901 AL had another franchise that was called The Baltimore Orioles, which also relocated and re-branded in time for 1902.  HINT:  it worked out very well for them.

And I think the Red Sox were the Boston Pilgrims then, while the NL's Braves were the Boston Bean-Eaters, but it's quite possible I have those confused.

Mets vs Cardinals refuses to die. In the 17th. Mets have left about 9000 guys on base.

Such futility.

AdamRubinESPN
Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN

Duda Ks. Mets strand bases loaded. That's 24 left on base and 1-for-25 with runners in scoring position today. #Mets 1, #StLCards 1, mid-17.